Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 12:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,275,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And here's the interesting thing. When one sees some random stranger at Disney or wherever - we have NO IDEA what the rest of their parenting consists of. So to look at a person and make some grand declaration that they are surely raising lazy, entitled whiners based on a small glimpse of them on one day in one circumstance is absurd. Over the course of raising children, we all make a multitude of decisions and choices - some more important than others. In the grand scheme of things, any one decision, is not the end-all be-all of our parenting.

I know it might be difficult for some parents to absorb this when they have a very young child or children and they feel quite confident that they know exactly what they will do and how they will react throughout their child's life. And that THEIR child will most certainly grow up to reflect nothing but their own perfect parenting.

Good luck with all of that.
Yep, and I've never called anyone a lazy, self entitled whiner on this thread or consider myself a perfect parent. I assume that you aren't responding directly to me because that isn't what I said. Far from it. I don't think it is fair to call Declan's Dad a drill sergeant either and that is what I'm responding to. As you say, we make a multitude of decisions and choices for our children.

Reread my posts on this thread. I've never said a thing to a stroller pushing parent. Unless it travels over my foot, I pretty much mind my own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Yep, and I've never called anyone a lazy, self entitled whiner on this thread or consider myself a perfect parent. Far from it. I don't think it is fair to call Declan's Dad a drill sergeant either and that is what I'm responding to. As you say, we make a multitude of decisions and choices for our children.

Reread my posts on this thread. I've never said a thing to a stroller pushing parent. Unless it travels over my foot, I pretty much mind my own business.
I didn't say you did.

I was responding to the part of your post that indicated that you allowed McDonald's and video games (which many would call a horrible parenting decision resulting in lazy and obese children). And yet, you make OTHER parenting choices that are healthy ones. Which can be said about pretty much everyone. Our parenting is a result of a multitude of choices over many years in many circumstances. It is silly to look at a single choice and make sweeping generalizations.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well our kids had fun at theme parks when they were little even though they couldn't walk everywhere. That's why we went. It was fun. There was no ulterior motive there outside of family fun.

My kids drive to school (middle son drives youngest). It's a 20 minute walk. Sometimes my youngest walks home if his brother has to stay after school especially in the winter when the weather is nice. However, during rainy season in FL there is a chance of rain every day and the thunderstorms start around the time the kids get out of school. So I pick him up most of the time. I don't think it's ridiculous to pick my child up from school so that he doesn't have to walk 20 minutes in the rain.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Fort Lauderdale - weather.com

Do you really think that strollers caused these "superior attitudes"? Really? If your kids don't like these "brats" maybe they shouldn't play with them or hang out with them. I encourage my kids to be discriminating when it comes to friends. If they are brats or have superior attitudes I do not encourage those friendships, nor do I continue to invite these people to my home. I suggest you do the same.
Thanks, I never thought of that!
Have you ever thought of an umbrella?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
LK,

This does not really apply to me but I just had a few thoughts that I wanted to share with you. First, our parents of previous generations did things to make it easier for US. There were modern day conveniences of that time that I'm sure, adults of that time said "why are these children getting this...in my day...." You see? As technology advances and the world gets more scary, parents may be doing things that are different from what was done in the past.

For example, we used to walk to school two blocks, three blocks, but I would not be comfortable with allowing an elementary school child to walk two blocks, three blocks, now. I see children walking alone after school and I get concerned for their safety. Even some kidnergarters are allowed to walk two blocks, three blocks. Perhaps you are talking about high school students. In that case, I understand. However, elementary school students, in some cases (especially depending on the particular child and the likelihood that the child will wander off, which only a parent who knows their child knows), driving may be in order.

Also, why do you feel that allowing a child to ride in a stroller is catering to the child's every whim? Kids get tired. They ride in a stroller. Adults get tired, they drive cars. If your logic was correct, then adults should not be driving cars but should be walking 1-2 miles to the grocery store and not having their every whim catered to either. We are all healthy and can walk 1-2 miles, right? Do YOU walk every where that you have to go? Or is all of the catering talk just for little kids?

Finally, the reason that kids are getting fatter and fatter is not because they get to ride in strollers. It is bc PARENTS are buying stupid video games and the kids are sitting on their *sses all day long after school playing. OR talking on the cellphone while sitting on their *sses all day long after school. And parents are buying more McD's and otherthings bc the middle class is busy taking kid A from one afterschool activity to another and most times, the MOTHER has to do everything while the men sit around at work and she just CANNOT. This is what leads to obesity.

Do your kids play video games? Do they eat fast food? If so, you are contributing to this obesity culture too.

ETA: another reason that kids are becoming obese is bc of lack of PE at school. In the 80's, we had to take PE every day. K-12. Nowadays, many of the districts are not only not mandating daily PE, they are replacing PE with other subjects. The emphasis on health is no longer present.
Really, I have nothing against technology. And you're right, every generation tries to make things better for their kids. It's just gone too far in some areas.

As far as the walking to school, I walk WITH my kids. I'm sure you're right though, people are afraid to let their kids out of their sight( that's another whole topic) We walk in the rain, with umbrellas, we walk in the snow with boots, we walk when it's 20 degrees, we walk when it's 90 degrees. Leading by example is good. For you see, as great as progress is, as comfy as we like to make it for our kids, a healthy LIFESTYLE is worth teaching.
I do walk wherever I can walk, or bike. I like to be healthy.
Consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, if kids got daily, routine physical activity, if that was the norm, there wouldn't be a need for gym class? Why is physical activity the schools responsibility?

Common sense.....

Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Really, I have nothing against technology. And you're right, every generation tries to make things better for their kids. It's just gone too far in some areas.

As far as the walking to school, I walk WITH my kids. I'm sure you're right though, people are afraid to let their kids out of their sight( that's another whole topic) We walk in the rain, with umbrellas, we walk in the snow with boots, we walk when it's 20 degrees, we walk when it's 90 degrees. Leading by example is good. For you see, as great as progress is, as comfy as we like to make it for our kids, a healthy LIFESTYLE is worth teaching.
Consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, if kids got daily, routine physical activity, if that was the norm, there wouldn't be a need for gym class? Why is physical activity the schools responsibility?

Common sense.....
Good for you, you win the best parent evuh award! Cause there can't possibly be legitimate reasons for kids not walking to school, right?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good for you, you win the best parent evuh award! Cause there can't possibly be legitimate reasons for kids not walking to school, right?
Can't wait to see what happens when said the kids announce they intend to play the cello.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:

Common sense.....
Hey thanks for the "anonymous" rep...

Quote:
Oh, put a sock in it. You have one the most holier than thou attitudes here- I wouldn't be talking.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
not every day there can't!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks for the "anonymous" rep...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well our kids had fun at theme parks when they were little even though they couldn't walk everywhere. That's why we went. It was fun. There was no ulterior motive there outside of family fun.

My kids drive to school (middle son drives youngest). It's a 20 minute walk. Sometimes my youngest walks home if his brother has to stay after school especially in the winter when the weather is nice. However, during rainy season in FL there is a chance of rain every day and the thunderstorms start around the time the kids get out of school. So I pick him up most of the time. I don't think it's ridiculous to pick my child up from school so that he doesn't have to walk 20 minutes in the rain.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Fort Lauderdale - weather.com

Do you really think that strollers caused these "superior attitudes"? Really? If your kids don't like these "brats" maybe they shouldn't play with them or hang out with them. I encourage my kids to be discriminating when it comes to friends. If they are brats or have superior attitudes I do not encourage those friendships, nor do I continue to invite these people to my home. I suggest you do the same.
I'm surprised you guys don't have bus service.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
not every day there can't!
Where we live there is no safe walking route to my granddaughter's school or to my grandson's school. No sidewalks for most of the route for my grandson. Aside from the fact that it is a 3 mile trip and he is autistic. My granddaughter's trip is 5 miles and there are again few sidewalks and a very busy road she would need to cross if she was walking.

Aside from that much of the year, the heat and humidity make walking these distances difficult.

I am a walker and have walked long distances, but not in this town given the lack of sidewalks and the heat. (I do sometimes go walk 7 miles to the store, btw, but I choose my time carefully to avoid the heat).

Someone mentioned bus service - there is a school bus, but currently the kids are in two different schools and the school start times are different as well.

There are NO city buses here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting