Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

FWIW I Love to read (Like really really love it) and I was always in the average reading group. I started off in the "advanced" group and was "demoted" to average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Here's something else....When I was in high school, I was in the "smart" group, most of my close friends all were on the college prep track, all scored very well on standardized tests, accepted and attended "good" colleges etc...Except one. This girl was in remedial math in jr. high, in the "alternative" track, didn't really do well on tests, didn't come from a particularly educated or driven family. Guess who is the only one with a PhD? You just never know. It's really more about believing in yourself, having confidence and finding what it is you are good at.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Here's something else....When I was in high school, I was in the "smart" group, most of my close friends all were on the college prep track, all scored very well on standardized tests, accepted and attended "good" colleges etc...Except one. This girl was in remedial math in jr. high, in the "alternative" track, didn't really do well on tests, didn't come from a particularly educated or driven family. Guess who is the only one with a PhD? You just never know. It's really more about believing in yourself, having confidence and finding what it is you are good at.
That's a very good point. My best friend growing up barely graduated from high school, did not go to college, and retired from day-to-day operations of his own company at 40. He's a multi-millionaire, and has homes all over the world. You never know.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's a very good point. My best friend growing up barely graduated from high school, did not go to college, and retired from day-to-day operations of his own company at 40. He's a multi-millionaire, and has homes all over the world. You never know.
true, you never know. My good friend in HS ended up valedictorian yet I scored higher than her on the SAT. Go figure.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
First, try to curb your own jealousy and performance anxiety over how your son is reading. Do NOT compare him to his friend or encourage him to be 'more like' his friend. This will damage his self-esteem.

Your son has his own areas where he will excel~possibly over and above his friend. Help him find those areas.

Might be sports, might be music, might be anything.

Try to stop worrying about it and just let your boy be six years old and be who he is.

It's hard in this age of competitive parenting, I know.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM

853 posts, read 4,037,828 times
I would focus on learning which types of books your son likes to read, and helping him develop a love of reading by providing him with books he likes. I would not mention the reading level of other kids, or talk about ability at all.

Do the kids in class know that there are reading levels? My son's 3rd grade class has levels, but only the parents know that, not the kids.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
Do the kids in class know that there are reading levels? My son's 3rd grade class has levels, but only the parents know that, not the kids.
I guarantee that the kids in your son's class know there are different levels. Even if it's not obvious, they figure it out because they're not working on the same material. Even the progressive systems where children work at their own pace via cards in a box make it glaringly obvious which kids are ahead or behind in the box.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
let me explain my situation a bit better. The class my son attends focuses a lot on reading, they have 3 groups and my son is at the second level. His best buddy is at the top in fact the number one kid who is reading Harry Potter in the class (his test score is the top one in the class), majority of the kids love to read in that class, but my son really prefers to play rather than read. They also already have plenty of homework assignment. Ok, so the way I encourage him is to try and develop the interest of reading, and I also mention that if he reads more, naturally he’ll get to the first group and join his best buddy’s reading group. But like one of the comments from you, I do worry that this will develop a lack of self esteem issue hence, I think I shouldn’t even mention about the reading group differences? But each time we go to my son’s best buddy’s home, the friend is always reading a book, so I try to encourage my son to develop the interest of reading just like his friend. But maybe I just shouldn’t mention about anything? Like I said, the class and school as a whole focuses strongly on academics and they already have a whole tons of homework. It’s nothing like me as a mother is making a big deal of academics, it’s the school that is dividing up these reading groups in the class per the kids level and lots of them are reading Harry Potter and more advanced books…
I think you just need to encourage your kid to read, but at his own pace.He does not have to be reading Harry Potter at 6. Worry about him being at the right level for his age instead.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
A lot of classes divide into different level reading groups. My son really floundered in reading during kindergarten because (well one reason) of the groups. He got moved to an independent reading program and started to take off. Then we moved to a much smaller school which only does an independent reading program. He took off and is one of those kids reading Jr. High books.

Like others have said, relax, let the friendship blossom, keep encouraging your son to see how everyone has different strengths. And keep encouraging him to read by bringing him to the library once a week, reading to him, and letting him see you read. Some people just don't like to read as much--which is okay. It is more important that your son discover subjects/types of writing he likes, as well as learning why reading is so important. Furthermore, most children's brains aren't really ready to tackle reading until the age of 8.

My son is in a class of three and he is the top reader by far. We really lecture hard about being humble. The two boys are in my cub scout den (the only two), so it is easy there to remind them that everyone has their own strengths and it is when we work together that we suceed. We are very lucky--all three of them are so supportive to each other! They brag about each other to other kids and really work well together.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,262 times
thank you so much for taking out the time to provide input. happy holidays to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting