Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

when I go back to work I think I will make a real effort to cook on the weekends and have leftovers for a lot of the week.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I hope you found the dog!
If he were still gone, you wouldn't even know my dog was lost because I would still be out there looking for him!

We found him before I even posted my rant. It was just ten minutes, but I was terrified the entire ten minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't mind cooking - I really hate thinking about what to cook.
I hate coming up with dinner ideas too. I'll ask anyone for ideas! I have even asked my classmates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
when I go back to work I think I will make a real effort to cook on the weekends and have leftovers for a lot of the week.
My neighbor does that. She cooks an entire week's worth of dinners all day on Sunday. She just heats it up during the week. They love that they aren't committed to eating X on a specific day. They heat up whichever one they're most in the mood for that day. I wish I could be that organized.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:12 AM

I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon today. I've been having neck pain for the past month. It becomes almost intollerable at times.

I was rear-ended at a red light a week before my neck started hurting. I didn't make the connection between the incidents.

It just started hurting when I woke up one morning. I thought I slept on it weird, but it just hasn't gotten better and it's getting worse.

I hope it's an easy fix with a shot of steroids. I suspect I have osteoperosis though.

Mentally, I still want to go rock-climbing and dancing. It seems my body doesn't care about what my mind wants.

I'm too damn young to have old age physical issues!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
I don't mind cooking - I really hate thinking about what to cook. Especially on a work/school night. Everyone is home/hungry at different times. After working all day, dinner is the last thing on my mind. I don't mind it on weekends when I can think about it and go to the store and look up new recipies etc...just not during the week. Blech.
This is me. I started sitting down once a week and planning my menu. I keep a electronic "sticky note" on my desktop that has the meal plan. I sometimes change it, but at least I have ideas and know I have the ingredients.

That's why I started using allrecipes almost exclusively. When I find recipes I like, I add them to my recipe box. When I plan my week, I just click "add to shopping list" and all the ingredients go in there. I edit for what I have, then print and go to the store. It's made it so much easier for me. Because if I don't have a plan, then we would probably have nachos every night.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Yes...I did that for awhile years back and should start doing it again. I've never used allrecipes like that. I usually just use it looking for recipes on the day I want to cook them. I may have to start that. DD and one of her roommates are coming here for the weekend. Roommate is vegetarian so, I'll have to do some looking around today and plan for dinner Saturday night and make sure I have "stuff" around. I should because I don't eat too much meat anymore but that might not be what she eats.

That reminds me - got a 30% off coupon for Kohls....DD needs some better clothes (ie "not jeans") that she can wear for some things she has going on at school....I'm sure we'll be there this weekend.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM

My son and I were spring cleaning his room together this morning.

I washed down the walls while he pulled out furniture and scrubbed the floor.

I came to the conclusion that it was time to repaint.

I asked him what color he'd like, any color but black, I don't do black.

His response, Red!

I understand that children and teens often like rich colors--dark or bright.

That's why I finally caved in last time we painted and let him pick something that wasn't a light shade.

He picked forrest green. I was afraid, but it really looks nice.

But red?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Hopes...a nice shade of red can be really cool. But be forewarned. It takes primer and a lot of coats to get red right. My downstairs powder/laundry is a shade of deep red and I love it but not an easy task and I can still find spots that the color isn't even. A normal room like a bedroom is probably easier though.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Washing walls is a lost art.

Morning all!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hopes...a nice shade of red can be really cool. But be forewarned. It takes primer and a lot of coats to get red right. My downstairs powder/laundry is a shade of deep red and I love it but not an easy task and I can still find spots that the color isn't even. A normal room like a bedroom is probably easier though.
I had the same experience when I painted his wall dark green. It takes many coats even with primer. Isn't it weird how dark paint doesn't cover well? You'd think it would be the opposite!

I'll look around for a nice red. I'm sure there is something out there that isn't too bright. I don't want it to be maroon though. What color did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Washing walls is a lost art.
It sure is a lost art! I've never done it every year like some people. I do it when the walls start looking very dusty or smeared.

I did the hallway and stairwell today. It looks great! That's how I ended up in my son's room. It was the next room that needed the most help! LOL

Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Pray for all of the public workers in WI. Please..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting