Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Istanbul-Bucharest-Budapest-Venice

Guess I'll wait and do that AFTER the lottery winnings start rolling in!
is right!

We took the train all over Great Britain. It was a great way to travel, for the most part.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Whoa!

So what about the train just throughout Italy? We were just discussing this yesterday. Is it possible to just do a train and not rent a car or would we really want a car?

We've given DS the option of deciding where we go for his graduation trip next summer. Although we are still hoping he'll pick Italy.
From friends who have been stationed over in Germany & Italy for a few years, I hear talk of the train a lot.

Biggest concern right now is the value of the Euro & how little the dollar is to it.

My parents spent 3 weeks in Italy about 4 years ago & rented a car so that they had control over the logistics of it all; could stop at random places, etc. I don't remember if they said that was expensive. I do know they raved about the food & how late into the night Italians stay up & about. Things shut down mid afternoon & then start up again around 7pm. My mom said it was no big thing to have a 5 course dinner & a bottle of wine starting at 9/10pm.

All this talk of travelling is making me go into LaLa land..time to snap out of it & prepare lunch for the kiddos

Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Biggest concern right now is the value of the Euro & how little the dollar is to it.
That's our concern too. We've got a year and half to set money aside, so that we'll see what the situation is next summer.

I'm on the fence about a car as well since we do like our freedom.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Quit waiting for other people to do things for you. You can call your mother's insurance company yourself to get proof of insurance from them.
She has her stuff locked down so tight.
I couldn't even call verizon from my old cell phone to ask them a BLACKBERRY question about my phone, they INSISTED I give them the password.

If I called up her insurance company they'd ask me for a password and approval from the account manager to even speak to them. She has it set up that way with everything she has.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Txt. What you described is exactly the way it works for everyone. Everyone. As soon as you are on your own and paying for everything yourself you will get to choose your own PWs and the envelopes asking for money will come every month with your name on them. Not Mom's.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
She has her stuff locked down so tight.
I couldn't even call verizon from my old cell phone to ask them a BLACKBERRY question about my phone, they INSISTED I give them the password.

If I called up her insurance company they'd ask me for a password and approval from the account manager to even speak to them. She has it set up that way with everything she has.
You're making an assumption that the auto insurance company will require a password. You were an insured driver on an auto policy through that company. You have a right to proof of insurance from them. Your mother can't block them from talking to you. Just make the damn call instead of assuming it's impossible.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You're making an assumption that the auto insurance company will require a password. You were an insured driver on an auto policy through that company. You have a right to proof of insurance from them. Your mother can't block them from talking to you. Just make the damn call instead of assuming it's impossible.
shouldn't there be a piece of paper in your (txt's) house or a past proof of insurance in your car or something?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
shouldn't there be a piece of paper in your (txt's) house or a past proof of insurance in your car or something?
That's what I was wondering. Everyone is supposed to carry proof of insurance so it should be in the car.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
She has her own insurance now. Her new insurance company wants proof of insurance for while she was on her mother's policy. She could search around for the old insurance policy for that time period that lists her as an insured driver, but that won't be good enough for her new insurance company. They want an official "Proof of Insurance" document from the old insurance company.

I'm sure you're all familiar with Proof of Insurance from old healthcare plans to avoid the pre-existing conditions clauses on new healthcare insurance plans. This is the same thing---except what's at risk here is a higher premium if she can't provide official Proof of Insurance, showing no significant lapse of coverage.

She'll also need Proof of Insurance from her nanny employer if she wasn't insured on her mother's policy during that time frame.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-16-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
She has her own insurance now. Her new insurance company wants proof of insurance for while she was on her mother's policy.
there should still be some kind of proof at their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting