Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Leaving and going into more debt will not solve her problems. She needs to address her depression. She needs to stick with something. Depression will not go away living in a warmer climate. Or in a dorm.

Whether txt has clinical depression, or whether she just tired and overwhelmed and doesn't really get that some days or times in your life, just are not very fun, I don't know. But running away won't solve either one. She thinks she's tired and overwhelmed now and she doesn't even have to pay rent or much in the way of living expenses. Add that additional pressure to what she already is feeling is just a recipe for disaster.
I totally agree.

You can't run away from depression, txt. It will follow you. You have to deal with it now.

Have you looked into out of state college tuition prices for Florida? Generally it's a lot more expensive to go to college out of state then it is in so you may be able to better afford it here. If you're tired of your small town you could also move to the city that's directly north of you.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I think relieved is more like it! We are going out tomorrow night with some friends who have been really supportive throughout since they've been in the same situation before and knew what we were going through.
Enjoy! Have fun!

Quote:
I think he's most excited about the 6 mile commute. It's nice because he can come home for lunch - or have lunch with our son since the high school is by his office.
That's a great quality of life benefit! A short commute is priceless!

Quote:
If he had specifically looked for a job that close, he would probably never have found it.
There's usually a silver lining in every cloud that you don't realize until later!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Nassau Warns of Possible Measles Exposure at Mall | Long Island Press

Ugh. I was going to make a new thread but I decided to post this here. Why would you take your sick kid to the mall?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

Ugh. I was going to make a new thread but I decided to post this here. Why would you take your sick kid to the mall?
With #1, I use to take him to the mall so he could play in the kiddie area. It seemed harmless until once I saw a mom let her baby run around in only his diaper & then, giving it one more try, saw a little girl walking around w/ a pedialyte disposable drink. Yeah, never been back. Our paper had an article this past fall how the doctors linked the play area in our mall to the outbreak of hand & foot disease...gross gross gross.

There are some parents out there who just don't care. I don't think they are the majority, but they don't care.

All 3 of my boys are sick & we haven't left the house since this past Saturday.

I do really feel for parents who have to leave their kids at daycare or w/ a child care provider when their children are sick. It must be an awful feeling.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

I can understand taking a sick kid into the grocery store to grab a few quick items because sometimes you have no other choice but I really don't understand taking them to the mall or playground or really anywhere else other then the Dr. when they are sick. I HATE it when I see kids with snot dripping everywhere playing in play areas or hear Mom say, "I think he has strep throat" after our kids have been playing together for an hour. Ugh. I don't get it.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
THIS SHOULD BE TXTQUEEN'S FIRST AND ONLY GOAL:

She needs to seek treatment for her mental illness. Her depression is the result of her anxiety disorder.

She can't stop her mind from racing thoughts. It's making her think she's crazy (and she's not crazy).

She is depressed because she isn't managing her anxiety disorder. By managing, I mean that she needs to STICK WITH TREATMENT.

Her mental health should be her main focus. She can't successfully achieve a goal until she gets her mental health under control.

After she is in treatment and stable, she can set other goals.
^this! You can't make a logical decision until you do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I totally agree.

You can't run away from depression, txt. It will follow you. You have to deal with it now.

Have you looked into out of state college tuition prices for Florida? Generally it's a lot more expensive to go to college out of state then it is in so you may be able to better afford it here. If you're tired of your small town you could also move to the city that's directly north of you.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Running away sure feels best right now. I don't want to be here. I just want to escape from this all. I'm tired of situation after situation happening it seems it happens in my life more than most. I just want to go day to day and live without sadness or hurt or some crazy horrible crap happening to me.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
If you're tired of your small town you could also move to the city that's directly north of you.
Check out CSU for sure. Ft Collins is close enough that going home for holidays, etc...is very doable and you might actually be able to tolerate your family for short visits instead of living there.

It sounds to me like a good compromise between getting away and living at home. Great idea Dorthy.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Running away sure feels best right now. I don't want to be here. I just want to escape from this all. I'm tired of situation after situation happening it seems it happens in my life more than most. I just want to go day to day and live without sadness or hurt or some crazy horrible crap happening to me.
You're having a pity party. I could list off a sad tale of what all we went through at your age regarding jobs (I did temp inventory at a hobby store while ill with walking pneumonia at one point), cars we drove (one had to have a hanger to hold the driver door closed or it would fly open when going around a corner), roommates we had to have in order for us to try and pay the rent in a crappy place, one who stole a credit card and had a hay day with it, having hardly any money to buy groceries and grandma taking me to the grocery store to help me stock up on basics, being so poor that we couldn't even afford a box of condoms, so DH would drive to the local gas station and get them from the machine - I'm not kidding with that one. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. We never had jobs that provided health insurance until much older. We did whatever we had to do to make it and make things better. It didn't happen over night. It took years.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Oh, and I just remembered one of the funny kickers to the gas station machine stories. When the machine at the one quarter he had.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting