Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,346,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Did you know their acronym would be POOP?
And their umbrella organization: I Know How to Raise Your Kids Better Than You Do.
But even the idea that this should be solely the parents' choice, completely undermines the fact that it is the boy's body, and should really be his choice.

For the record, my little sister just had a baby boy and had him circumcised. It did upset me, but since he was not my child (and it was too last minute to try and change her mind), I kept my opinion to myself.

I've always been more progressive and open-minded than my family members, who still hold on to some pretty outdated and conservative ideals.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can assume that bait was for me, so I'll bite.

If someone chooses to be insulted by my comments then that is too bad, but I tell it like it is. Aside from a few rare cases in which it is strongly recommended, there is no real good reason to perform that surgery, and plenty of reasons why one shouldn't. People who choose to have it done to their boy usually do so for either cosmetic purposes (which is just twisted) or misinformation and half-truths told related to health concerns. This is fact.

I'm obviously passionate about this particular issue, so I will pull no punches.
It wasn't bait and wasn't intended for you, I was responding to another poster. If you see yourself in it, that's your prerogative. I don't particularly want to argue with you about it.

A fact is something that can be supported by evidence.

You are welcome to your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

I thought it was My Obsessive Feelings Of Superiority? Same difference I guess!
Ha!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It wasn't bait and wasn't intended for you, I was responding to another poster. If you see yourself in it, that's your prerogative. I don't particularly want to argue with you about it.
I'm the one who resurrected the thread. Who else could you have been talking about?

Quote:
A fact is something that can be supported by evidence.
Show me where I've said something that isn't true? Give me an example of someone choosing to have a circumcision done on their son for reasons other than what I stated.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm the one who resurrected the thread. Who else could you have been talking about?

Show me where I've said something that isn't true? Give me an example of someone choosing to have a circumcision done on their son for reasons other than what I stated.
For Pete's sake, it was a general comment about resurrecting old threads, not directed at you personally.

I'm done responding to you and will not be giving you examples of where you use your opinion without backing citation as fact. Knock yourself out. I expressed my views on all of this much earlier in the thread and don't feel inclined to repeat myself. As I said earlier, you are welcome to your opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
For Pete's sake, it was a general comment about resurrecting old threads, not directed at you personally.

I'm done responding to you and will not be giving you examples of where you use your opinion without backing citation as fact. Knock yourself out. I expressed my views on all of this much earlier in the thread and don't feel inclined to repeat myself. As I said earlier, you are welcome to your opinion.
...as much as I am welcome to present the facts.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Hmm...

Quote:
We decided to circumcise DS because we found the risk associated with the procedure to be outweighed by the potential health benefits, for our family.
...seems like that's all the convincing I would need to have my baby girl circumcised. Oh, but wait...I can't, because it's illegal. As it should be for little boys.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Deleted inflammatory comment

Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hmm...

...seems like that's all the convincing I would need to have my baby girl circumcised. Oh, but wait...I can't, because it's illegal. As it should be for little boys.
Hmmm, I believe I was responding to a poster who actually had some content to their post, but thanks for finding this. Fortunately for me, the American Pediatric Association does operate on fact rather than opinion. I don't actually care what you think about my son being circumcised, nor am I willing to discuss the reasons for it with you. Kindly leave me alone, please.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I believe I was responding to a poster who actually had some content to their post, but thanks for finding this. Fortunately for me, the American Pediatric Association does operate on fact rather than opinion. .
Do you mean the American Academy of Pediatrics?

"Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision."

Later they hedge that that the parents determine "what is in the best interest of the child". They absolutely nothing about what that best interest might be based on.

They go on to talk about the context and world opinion. And then to state that routine male circumcision should be reevaluated.

I remember my pediatrician basically telling me that there was no science one way or the other to fight decades of social norm. So I am not sure what "fact" you are appealing to.

As far as fights to fight, I am never going to throw my dog in the circumcision debate. But you seem to imply that there is some kind of fact that AAP is stating that supports your decision to circ, which I am not seeing, unless it was done years ago.

And since this is an older, reinvigorated thread, I am not planning on going back and reading acres of material.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Will this thread ever die?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Will this thread ever die?
I know! When will you all realize that I'm just better than all y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting