Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,356,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
My opinion is that it is extremely difficult to get truthful, well-researched, unbiased facts.

Just a few facts that do seem to exist:

1. Many doctors are rewarded when they have 100% compliance rate with giving vaccines.

2. In the United States, you cannot legally sue the doctor, nurse, pharmaceutical company, or any medical professional person or company associated with that vaccine for any reason.

3. Many doctors simply don't have the facts themselves. A few years back, when we moved, and I was interviewing a physician in our new area as a possible candidate to be my childrens' physician, all I did was question the need for and safety of vaccines. Never did I say I was against them or anything of the sort. I would hope that all parents would routinely question what their doctors tell them, regardless of the circumstance, if for no other reason than education! However, this idiot threw a major tantrum and accused me of being negligent for only questioning vaccines! How can I be against something if I'm not educated about it? Needless to say, doctors are not to be worshipped, and I left as fast as I could.

Vaccines are controversial, and I certainly wish all of us had more information.
Where do your facts #1 & 2 come from? and I find it surprising a pediatrician threw a tantrum - that's usually a surgeon's response.
As for information about vaccines, try this site: Autism Information Center, DD, NCBDDD, CDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,401,741 times
I know three moms that were in my moms group, when our kids were toddlers, they had their boys vaccinated (same pediatrician) and were later diagnosed with Autism. I also have a friend who's son and daughter have some type of auditory processing syndrome and she thinks it's related to vaccinations.

I personally waited until my son was a yr old before the first vaccination, he had a very sever reaction to it, needless to say, that was the first and last. His pediatrician said he should'nt ever be vaccinated. He also told me that there's no reason to vaccinate a brand new baby, the baby should be atleast 6 mo or older.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 PM

358 posts, read 917,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Where do your facts #1 & 2 come from?
1) People I know who are physicians. As to exactly who or what is offering the monetary compensation, I do not know.

2) Because there were so many lawsuits again injuries caused by vaccines, the government was afraid that pharmaceutical companies might consider ceasing to manufacture vaccines, so in 1986, the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act was established. It compensates victims, but the government decides how much, if anything, you get. It's also my understanding that when a child a vaccinated today, the parents must sign a form legally releasing all medical personnel and the pharmaceutical company from liability.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
3. Many doctors simply don't have the facts themselves. A few years back, when we moved, and I was interviewing a physician in our new area as a possible candidate to be my childrens' physician, all I did was question the need for and safety of vaccines. Never did I say I was against them or anything of the sort. I would hope that all parents would routinely question what their doctors tell them, regardless of the circumstance, if for no other reason than education! However, this idiot threw a major tantrum and accused me of being negligent for only questioning vaccines! How can I be against something if I'm not educated about it? Needless to say, doctors are not to be worshipped, and I left as fast as I could.

Vaccines are controversial, and I certainly wish all of us had more information.
I can relate to this. Back in January, I took my son into urgent care for a stomach bug. One of the first things the DR asked me was if I had his immunization book, I said "no", and tried to explain why, he wouldn't even let me talk and kept on about how I was endangering his life and blah, blah ,blah. After finally being able to explain the sitch, and telling him who my son's pediatrician was, to which he said " oh yeah, I know about his views on this sort of stuff, he's nuts", he still inferred I was a bad mom. My son's pediatrician is one if the best in this area, and he's very competent. I don't know why the urgent care doctor felt he needed to treat me so badly but it was really upsetting to be berated and bullied, over shots that could potentially harm or even kill my son.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM

358 posts, read 917,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
After finally being able to explain the sitch, and telling him who my son's pediatrician was, to which he said " oh yeah, I know about his views on this sort of stuff, he's nuts", he still inferred I was a bad mom.
This is absolutely inexcusable. I would write to the hospital where he is employed. Of course, the doctor is entitled to his opinion, whatever it is. However, how he expresses his opinion makes all the difference in the world. Also, berating another doctor just because he has a difference of opinion is highly rude and extremely unprofessional.

Any competent physician knows that medicine is NOT an exact science. About a hundred years ago, pregnant women were given full x-rays, for crying out loud!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,610,136 times
I was born in 1961 in the UK because of allergies etc have never had a vaccination for anything !!! and have ever only had chicken pox. Have always been perfectly healthy, maybe I am just lucky.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,995,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I was born in 1961 in the UK because of allergies etc have never had a vaccination for anything !!! and have ever only had chicken pox. Have always been perfectly healthy, maybe I am just lucky.
I tend to think it is a combination of luck and also the reality that you have a great immune system. Would vaccines have affected your health negatively? Well there's no way to tell. But I do wonder if you'll live a longer and healthier life than the rest of us who were vaccinated.

Someday we'll know the truth. For now it is probably best to just use your head regarding your family's health. If after doing your own research you think the risk of the diseases vaccines are created for outweigh the risk of adverse health problems from the vaccines themselves, then by all means get the shots.

When I started working with future doctors and scientists in high school and then throughout college I learned to question everything versus just to respect authority figures because of their titles or letters after their name. I learned that I have more brain power and broader knowledge than the majority of these folks - I thus use them as advisors, but tend to trust myself to make the right final decision for me and my kin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting