Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

I would not go on a vacation and take a baby, that to me would be no vacation.... ewww, that was harsh......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My post was in response to LK, who extended stillthesame's opinion about not allowing a child who can't talk yet, be taken care of by strangers while they were on vacation. LK said he/she wouldn't let even a child who COULD talk be taken care of strangers while they were on vacation.

Which surprises me, and makes me feel bad for the kids.
ah yes, as in a child of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... in the care of a total stranger so that my husband and I could be free on our vacation. Personally, if I wanted to go on an adult type vacation, I would leave my baby with a relative. Or, go on a family oriented vacation.
That is much different than allowing your 12, 13, 14, 15... year old to go to camp for kids for a week.
But, that's just me. I imagine many people have had success with what the op is asking, otherwise it would not even be available. It's what you are comfortable with. Then again, I did not use a private home day care either. I used a large facility where there were many adults around.I guess I'd rather feel safe than sorry. Everyone has their own opinion and should do what works for them.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
But, that's just me. I imagine many people have had success with what the op is asking, otherwise it would not even be available. It's what you are comfortable with. Then again, I did not use a private home day care either. I used a large facility where there were many adults around.I guess I'd rather feel safe than sorry. Everyone has their own opinion and should do what works for them.
It sounds like the Baby Med is set up more like facilty day care center, though, with a group of children and probably a couple of adults. Obviously, you need to check into that before you go, but I wouldn't have a huge problem with it.

We honeymooned at an all-inclusive in Mexico that had child care available. As someone mentioned the girls we saw running it were college-age and spoke English very well. We only saw older kids and they were running around playing volleyball or swimming or whatever. I don't recall seeing babies, but it was so dreadfully hot (we went in August), they might have kept them inside.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
I can't comment on Club Med in particular, but just check the qualifications, reviews and licenses of the people running the kid/baby care if you choose this route.

We have travelled extensively and have always opted out of leaving our kids in those care centers on vacation because they were so young and couldn't talk if something happened to them. And no, we don't trust our babies in the hands of just anyone. Now that my oldest is four, I'd probably be ok with it for a couple of hours but not all day.

As others have said, part of a the vacation is great watching your babies nap under the umbrella on the beach, explore their toes in the sand, etc...

Up to you of course, just check their credentials and reviews if possible.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
As others have said, part of a the vacation is great watching your babies nap under the umbrella on the beach, explore their toes in the sand, etc...
I love this! Because this is also what builds families. Shared experiences. Time together doing different things. Bonding. Seeing the kids experience something for the first time.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
I have to agree, and include that both of my kids have benefited greatly from spending that extended time of relaxation with us that they didn't always get at home.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Not to speak for the OP, but I didn't get the impression that he wanted to drop the kid off at the beginning of the trip and pick him up at the end. LOL

I also have a 1 year old, and while he loves doing things with us, he can also just "be done with it" rather quickly. I could see maybe making use of a day care for an hour or two each day. Also, my son loves playing with other kids, even ones he doesn't know. So if there were other children his age, I think he would enjoy it.

As I said, I would check references and all of that.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 PM

42 posts, read 132,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
Not to speak for the OP, but I didn't get the impression that he wanted to drop the kid off at the beginning of the trip and pick him up at the end. LOL

I also have a 1 year old, and while he loves doing things with us, he can also just "be done with it" rather quickly. I could see maybe making use of a day care for an hour or two each day. Also, my son loves playing with other kids, even ones he doesn't know. So if there were other children his age, I think he would enjoy it.

As I said, I would check references and all of that.
Unfortunately these threads can quickly be hijacked by side comments that aren't remotely related to the original post.

I appreciate everyone's comments, but relating a story about your sister-in-law staying Hedonism to staying at Club Med, with a baby no less, isn't terribly helpful.

To be clear, we are not interested in shipping our kid off to live in Day Care for a week while we are on vacation. We are considering one of the many Club Meds that offers a service that by all accounts, at least what I've read online, is excellent. Before using something like this I wanted to learn as much as possible about it and hoped that someone on this forum might have their own experiences to share.

I am not interested in debating the merits of having other people watch your children or if you should get references or whether or not you should bring your young child on vacation. At least not in this thread...

Again, I thank all who made an honest attempt to be helpful. Hopefully someone reading this thread will have some actual experience at the resort and will be willing to share for the benefit of the community at large.

Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times
Actually since I posted before I just saw that one of my sister's friends works in a Club Med kids center in Cancun. I don't know too much but she is a responsible and fun person overall and has posted many pictures of her on the job on Facebook. It looks like the environment there anyway is ok. But, I'd still check qualifications for sure.
Have a great trip once you decide.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
I have also found the message boards of Trip Advisor very useful when traveling with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting