Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If your senior wanted to attend "Beach Week" with 12 other teens, and no parents, an hour
No way. Not even WITH a parent. It's a recipe for disaster. 17 19.10%
No way. No parents...no go. If we can agree on parents staying, as was the original plan, then okay. 26 29.21%
Kid can go if he/she pays, and you (their parent) are free to show up at anytime to see how things are going. 19 21.35%
Sure...no problem. Go have a great time. Here's some money. See you in a week. 15 16.85%
Something other that the above...and please explain below. 12 13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So...I'm curious...I don't understand a parent who would allow their kid to be a part of this with no parental participation...and I'm wondering how other parents feel. And oh yeah...there are guys and girls going - a mixed group. So parents, what would your response be?

1) No go period...even WITH a parent. Too many kids with too much room for disaster.

2) No go. Without a parent on the premises, no way.

3) Kid can go, but he/she pays, with the understanding that at any time, you (the parent) are free to drop in and hang around.

4) No problem. Go and have a great time. Here's some money. See you in a week.

5) Something else (explain below)
I answered "Something else" before reading that scenario. I was thinking it all depended on the situation - not coed for one, maybe siblings and cousin for example.

This is one of those times parenting isn't easy, it's not always supposed to be just easy and under these circumstances, I would not be afraid to tell my kid no. They know the rules anyhow, they would know I would have to say no to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Really? You obviously have not read the post. If by controlling him financially, you mean that I pay for his car, his insurance, his phone, his school expenses, his college applications, AND his $200 senior portraits, (and yep all that since he turned 18), then yea, I guess I control him financially.

Obviously discipline becomes less of an issue at 18. This isn't about discipline, dude. It's about whether or not I should let him go to an unsupervised week-long party with a busload of teenagers for a week.

I don't consider myself overbearing, but yes, I AM a strict parent, and always have been. I consider that a good thing, personally, but thanks for your perspective. I appreciate it. He is actually very mature...I am extremely proud of him, even with the episode we had last fall. He has a GPA of 4.34 - the kid is smart. I am not really so concerned with HIS behavior....but I know peer pressure is a *****. I really am only trying to do what is right. Really I am. I just wanted some other opinions from PARENTS if they were in my shoes.
As far as his age - that's still your decision to make. Not all people are kids at 17 and then instantly wise beyond their years the day they turn 18. The parent knows their own kid better than anyone, and if he's still in high school, more than likely you're still supporting him financially like you did when he was 15.

And the going off to the military isn't the same thing as a party at all. They also have rules when in the military.

I have a kid that age still in high school and I don't think twice about telling him to be home by a certain time or telling him he can go over to a friends for a while. He still asks permission. He can still come home and ask what's going to be for dinner and assume I'm paying his car insurance and other parental things.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No no no no he's an adult if he does something stupid HE has to pay for it....what's mommy punishing him going to do besides just further this horrid trend of treating and punishing young adults like children.

Why do you think I'm so screwed up? My mom STILL treats me like a child, just months ago threatened to take away my cell phone, I went in my own plan....

But sure go ahead and ground an adult and take away his privileges like he's 13 again...treating people 18+ like children does nothing but prohibit them from maturing properly.
Please don’t try to compare yourself and your relationship with your mother to Chessie and her son. You're nothing alike from what I can tell, and Chessie and her son seem to enjoy a strong bond. One size does not fit all in parenting. My parents were pretty strict with me and I turned out to be an okay human being.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM

13,431 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As far as his age - that's still your decision to make. Not all people are kids at 17 and then instantly wise beyond their years the day they turn 18. The parent knows their own kid better than anyone, and if he's still in high school, more than likely you're still supporting him financially like you did when he was 15.

And the going off to the military isn't the same thing as a party at all. They also have rules when in the military.

I have a kid that age still in high school and I don't think twice about telling him to be home by a certain time or telling him he can go over to a friends for a while. He still asks permission. He can still come home and ask what's going to be for dinner and assume I'm paying his car insurance and other parental things.
Maybe it's because I'm from a different country and a different era. I was out of the house and living in a different city by the time I was 18. It's hard for me to fathom asking permission to go to a friend's for a while at that age.

I understand the anxiety attached to it (letting the kid go), but does financial control have to equate to control over all aspects of an 18 year old's life?

And I also understand that the military has rules. But if we trust 18 year olds to be mature enough to kill people, then we should trust them to go away with their friends for a week. Otherwise, why don't we raise the formal age of adulthood to 21 and stop pretending like 18 year olds have any autonomy at all?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:46 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Maybe it's because I'm from a different country and a different era. I was out of the house and living in a different city by the time I was 18. It's hard for me to fathom asking permission to go to a friend's for a while at that age.

I understand the anxiety attached to it (letting the kid go), but does financial control have to equate to control over all aspects of an 18 year old's life?

And I also understand that the military has rules. But if we trust 18 year olds to be mature enough to kill people, then we should trust them to go away with their friends for a week. Otherwise, why don't we raise the formal age of adulthood to 21 and stop pretending like 18 year olds have any autonomy at all?
Understood, and it's something I grapple with too (what we expect from 18-year-olds). Most of the older generations in my family were married by 17 or 18. I understand asking permission, though, and I think it's just a function of still living at home. If you live at home, especially if you never left (as opposed to moving out then back), it's just too hard to break that parent-child dynamic.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Chessie, Joe84323 may not be a parent, but he gave you some of the best advice here. You don't need to be a parent to understand human nature, relationships between parents and their kids and what it feels like to be 18. I am a parent, and I am reminded of my days at college living in a dorm. I think this trip is a great experiment/experience before your son is out on his own. You said that you have been strict. Well, many kids of super strict parents go hogwild when they get to college. Time to start stepping back now. Give him space to succeed or screw up.
Time to START stepping back? Sorry...you're a bit late on that. I started that about 2 years ago.

I'm not a hoverer nor am I trying to control my son. If that is the impression you have gotten, then I must not have been clear. I am concerned about peer pressure mostly...we've all been there done that. It's a *****.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I have to say I am so glad I don't have parents who tried to control every aspect and direction of my live in my late teens.

Let go!
That certainly does not apply to us. In no way, shape, or form.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
He's 18 enough said. He's an adult, make him go and spend his own money on the trip, no one needs to be supervising a bunch of legal adults...
Let him go have fun and trust in your 18 years of parenting that he'll be just fine.
No , they won't ALL be 18. My son will be, but not all the kids will. And as far as "no one needs to be supervising a bunch of legal adults"...gee....I wonder why the rental agencies won't rent to these groups of "legal adults"?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Seriously.....he's 18 years old and you are asking this question? What next, he won't be allowed togo away to college? I did this stuff when i was 15
If your parents let you go and stay in a houseful of teens for a week, with no parents present, at the age of 15, I'm surprised your parents didn't get charged with something somewhere down the line. That's just plain stupid.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
No no no no he's an adult if he does something stupid HE has to pay for it....what's mommy punishing him going to do besides just further this horrid trend of treating and punishing young adults like children.

Why do you think I'm so screwed up? My mom STILL treats me like a child, just months ago threatened to take away my cell phone, I went in my own plan....

But sure go ahead and ground an adult and take away his privileges like he's 13 again...treating people 18+ like children does nothing but prohibit them from maturing properly.
You are not a parent of a teenager...your post vividly illustrates that.
Good luck with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting