Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Chobani is the best. I buy the Costco cases too. DS loves it. I prefer the plain vanilla with my own fruit, but haven't been able to find it lately. No other Greek yogurt is as good.
I discovered this recently too! love it!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Found it. Bummer.

Oh, my back. I have arthritis in the thorasic part of my spine (rib cage area). All of this digging is taking a toll.

I thought building muscle was good for arthritis because muscle supports the joints. I'm confused.

Anyone else have arthritis? The normal kind due to age, wear and tear, not the other kind. Any tips?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Chobani is the best. I buy the Costco cases too. DS loves it. I prefer the plain vanilla with my own fruit, but haven't been able to find it lately. No other Greek yogurt is as good.
Mmmm that sounds good. It's exactly like I always wanted yogurt to taste, but the others never tasted like I thought they should. The blueberry one is divine. MissFR is SOL.

And in other news: Dew. Dew Dew Dew Dew Dew Dew Dew.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And in other news: Dew. Dew Dew Dew Dew Dew Dew Dew.
I always miss the news. What did Dew do? (eww, that sounds poopy!)

Old 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I always miss the news. What did Dew do? (eww, that sounds poopy!)
Oh, she's just being Dewish.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, she's just being Dewish.
About Walmart parking lots?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Found it. Bummer.

Oh, my back. I have arthritis in the thorasic part of my spine (rib cage area). All of this digging is taking a toll.

I thought building muscle was good for arthritis because muscle supports the joints. I'm confused.

Anyone else have arthritis? The normal kind due to age, wear and tear, not the other kind. Any tips?
I have osteopenia and degenerative disk disease in my lower spine (S5-L1). Osteopenia is the "precursor" to osteoarthritis. But the disk degeneration is what makes me need to strengthen my muscles. Specifically, my stomach muscles. It's not because they support the joints (your ribcage has no joints) but because they support the body, in general. When a bone is weak, the muscle has to work harder to keep that part of your body doing what it needs to do. So if your muscle is strong, it won't strain as quickly as if the muscle is not strong.

Bad lower back needs strong stomach muscles, to keep you standing and moving in an upright position for as long as possible. If your doctor feels that compression would be useful, I'd suggest a corset. But -only- if he feels compression would help. Don't ask him if you should get a corset though. He'll just look at you funny. Ask him about torso compression to support the spine (such as a back brace). Corsets do a better job than a back brace, because they conform to your general body shape, they're PRETTY, and they're less cumbersome. You can do everything in a corset that you can do without one, except curve your back when you bend forward. And that's something you want to avoid anyway, and the corset will prevent it, so that's actually a good thing

Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'll keep that in mind if my arthritis ever spreads so my lower back. A corset won't cover the area where I have arthritis. My arthritis is in the middle of my back, not my lower back. It's called the thoracic region of the spine, the middle part of the spine where the rib cage is located and attaches to the spine. My current pain is in the upper part of the thoratic region, about 5" above my bra. I'll look to see if there is a high corset that compresses the top of the back. Goodness, I can't imagine wearing it in the summer, or anytime, but maybe it will feel good to have it on when sleeping? I have a hard enough time buying bras, I can't imagine what it would be like to buy a corset. LOL

Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Corsets are awesome, but they aren't made for that high up the back. If they were, they'd cut the circulation off under your armpits. However, they do support the lower spine and just about to the point of the bottom of your shoulderblades, which -might- relieve some of the presssure from the upper spine. You'd really need to check with your doctor first to make sure it's safe for you.

I gained weight and my one and only corset doesn't fit me right now, but when it does, it takes almost all the pressure off my spine, because it acts as a spine instead. The boning is stiff and unyielding, and compresses my ribcage and straightens my spine and pushes everything upward. I end up around 1.25 inches taller while I'm wearing it. Getting laced isn't for everyone though, very thin "bony" people don't wear them well at all. You need some flesh. I -almost- bought a new one yesterday but the corsetier was too much of a "saleswoman" and it turned me off. She makes some gorgeous pieces though.

To get a *general* idea of the sensation of wearing a corset: imagine having a badly sprained, swollen ankle. Now imagine how it feels when you FINISH wrapping it up with an ace bandage. It doesn't wobble around as much - but you're grateful for that, because it also means it doesn't make you scream every 3 seconds. It definitely feels different, but eventually you get used to it and it becomes comfortable, like being tucked in at night instead of letting the linens and blankets loose to slide off of you whenever you turn.

Basically, wearing a corset makes you feel "tucked in." It's strange at first. It's liberating after awhile, even though technically it's exactly opposite.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
About Walmart parking lots?
No, not just Walmart parking lots. I liked her correspondence with NumNum's boss, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting