Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is the family camping weekend, as opposed to just the scout with leaders. Scouting really is great. I do have a big problem with their anti-gay stance, but we did eventually compromise . And we did tell them we were atheists when we joined. That is against the rules, but nobody cared.
Atheist is only a problem when preparing for Eagle Scout. There's 'religious leader/clergy" letter of recommendation requirement and he'll have to answer the question "What does duty to God mean to him?"

As a result, I had to make a similar compromise as an Agnostic. (I was raised Catholic but turned Agnostic later in life.) We joined a church when our son was about 3 or 4 years away from getting his Eagle so he could meet the requirement. I didn't mind doing it. I wasn't raising my children to be agnostic or athiest. I had no problem with them embracing religion themselves. The denomination we joined was based on my son choosing it---afterall it was for him, not us.

Your local chapter or troop leaders might allow him to answer these questions in a spiritual sense. I woudn't worry about it now. Once he starts working on his badge as a teenager, you can ask the troop's Scout Master how your son can meet those criteria. By that time, the leaders will have spent many years with your son and they might be willing to make accomodations. We didn't even ask about accommdations because our son WANTED to join a church. I certainly wasn't going to hold him back from doing what he wanted to do.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-22-2011 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Atheist is only a problem when preparing for Eagle Scout. There's 'religious leader/clergy" recommendation requirement.

As a result, I had to make a similar compromise as an Agnostic. (I was raised Catholic but turned Agnostic later in life.) We joined a church when our son was about 3 or 4 years away from getting his Eagle so he could meet the requirement. I didn't mind doing it. I wasn't raising my children to be agnostic or athiest. I had no problem with them embracing religion themselves. The denomination we joined was based on my son choosing it---afterall it was for him, not us.
Actually, funny you should mention that. My children had been asking about religion a while back. Living where we do everyone goes to church, and I think they were feeling a little left out. Anyway, we found a great children's program at a laid back Methodist church. They enjoy going. Like you, we don't want to impose our views on our children, but let them choose. This year DH wants to expose the kids to a few diverse religious groups. He has been in communication with a local Rabbi and Imam, and we are setting up a small group of friends who have the same goal, and we'll be going to some of their religious observances. Should be very interesting. We took the kids to a Hindu Festival of Lights last year, and they were fascinated.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 PM

My son picked Lutheran.

I educated my children on Judaism and Islam via caregivers and friends.

When I was working, they spent two summers with a Muslim family and they stayed with a Jewish household for after school care during the school years.

Look into Unitarian. It's comprised of people with diverse religious beliefs.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
What's funny with camping - I'd rather dig a hole any day over the bathrooms at a campsite. Hoping to do more back country stuff this year.

Our DS did cub scouts until about 4th grade. My DH was the cub master for about 2 years. When our son started ski racing, we realized there was no way to do both. So he picked the racing.

Zimbo - we are atheists as well. We also have encouraged our son to figure things out for himself. At this point (17) he has no interest. But he has been exposed to different things as one summer we bounced from one Bar Mitzvah to another. He's also been to church with his cousins.

I think it's great what you are doing really. I wish I had been given more choices as a child and exposed to a wider variety of beliefs. If anything, from an educational standpoint. The one thing we have really, really tried to instill in our son, is to respect others beliefs, not matter what yours are.

Anywho...my background is odd to say the least as I have a degree in Theology.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
If anything, from an educational standpoint. The one thing we have really, really tried to instill in our son, is to respect others beliefs, not matter what yours are.
That's the reason I did it. I wanted them to understand the major religions in the world. There's too much judgement without much understanding these days. Most of our wars are based on religious propaganda. I wanted my children to grow up knowing that families with different religious beliefs are people with similar feelings, fears, wishes, and desires.

Quote:
That's interesting. Did you pursue the degree prior to becoming an Atheist?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's interesting. Did you pursue the degree prior to becoming an Atheist?
Yes.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
I'll jump in on this one.
Idk which I am atheist or agnostic. I don't really believe in anything but something scientific, there has to be a scientific non religious explanation for this all but if someone were to 100% no doubts at all prove something to me with concrete evidence then I MIGHT maybe consider looking into believing something.
I grew up in the bible belt and the stuff some of those people said drives me nuts and just turned me off from religion.
Like you'd hear stuff like, god gave the fat man who guzzled down beer and McDonald's and sat in his recliner all the time watching Nascar a heart attack....no, I'm sorry but there's a VERY scientific reason behind his heart attack.
Or insurance companies calling tornadoes and hurricanes "acts of god" AGAIN, it was an act of weather and the insurance companies use that as a cop out to not pay out to all those people on need what they deserve. Which is why I HIGHLY believe religion belongs in church and no where else, not in making politics that affect non-religious peoples lives and not in companies that non-religious people will use.

And I know what you all think of this next statement, you all think I am immature for saying this (someone here told me I was) but religion scares me. Someone said in the other thread that has the religion talk going on something about religion being all about being god-fearing and living life a certain way or else you go to hell and that's exactly what it is, its all about striking the fear into people so they act a certain way. I think religion was created by a few smart people, who realised that they needed a mass way to control large groups of people and give society some structure.

Its all about control too.
I've read stuff on some religious forums and some people scare the crap out of me, its all about turning your life over to god and "if you want to make god laugh tell him your plans" and all that nonsense like people have no care of the direction their life goes in and if "god" decides to take it in another direction then that's his choice and they're just fine with it because it was gods will.

The idea of some "entity" having control over my life and me just sitting back for the ride saying everythings gods will and just let it go however....it does not sit well with me. My life is MINE, it slowly but surely is going in the direction I want it to and I WILL achieve my goals and I am going to get what I want. Its my life my will.

And the whole modesty and abstinence crap drives me nuts too, its not religion its society and americans being uptight prudes who have no self esteem with their bodies and everythings shameful.
People used to run around half naked wearing animal skins.....I bet they all went to hell.....(sarcasm).

The whole cover your shoulders and stomachs nonsense....since when have guys been like DAMN look at the shoulders on that chick! Wearing tank tops and showing your shoulders is not sinful, its not exposing too much, and personally I think its ridiculous to think so. (Mostly the mormon religion.)
I've read on some religious forums people will say stuff like if you can't wear it to church then don't wear it at all but don't people dress up for church? Or if grandma wouldn't approve don't wear it.

Don't drink, don't have sex before you're married (no wonder religious kids get married so early).

Look at the duggar family, no wonder my fears go 1. Religion 2. Spiders 3. Snakes 4. Dogs I don't know.

The girls are not allowed to wear pants, cut their hair, I don't think any of them actually wear make-up, their tv is very limited, no cell phones, they can't even be alone with the opposite gender until married, I could go on and on with the list. And the adults live childrens lives, they all watch the same fluffy happy thought movies, except they get to have sex but then again every time they do it results in a child....I'm amazed that woman can still walk right.

Anyways I have stuff I want to do today its my day off and I feel like having fun and not scaring myself with fundie nonsense.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

On that note, I think I'll go pick up the mail.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

On that note, I think I'll go pick up the mail.
Me too.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
What's funny with camping - I'd rather dig a hole any day over the bathrooms at a campsite. Hoping to do more back country stuff this year.
Peee-yewww! Absolutely agree.

Quote:
That makes complete sense to me. Make I ask, did you see the light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting