Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times

Advertisements

We have AT&T for our phones and really have no complaints. The only time we get dropped calls would be if we're somewhere more remote. It has hardly ever happened to me.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We have AT&T for our phones and really have no complaints. The only time we get dropped calls would be if we're somewhere more remote. It has hardly ever happened to me.
I'm glad but I'm surprised. My friends in Irvine/Newport Beach have nothing but problems. My sister just changed plans because she had so many problems in South County. Talking with her was like talking to someone on the moon with two cans and a piece of string.

But good for you! Hate dropped calls. How'd work go?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM

It was good. I was just working in the mail room, so it hasn't been hard. I think next week I actually have to deal with people.

I think South County has more issues than other areas due to its terrain and fewer towers. The people there often don't want towers in their areas because "they're ugly," so reception isn't good. I don't usually travel down that way, though. Shoot, even when I lived in Mission Viejo I didn't get dropped calls.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
It was good. I was just working in the mail room, so it hasn't been hard. I think next week I actually have to deal with people.
I am a HUGE believer in the power of the mail room. Especially if they have you out delivering it in the offices. Mail tells you a ton. Who works for who. How the structure of the depts. work. If you get to deliver it you can meet a TON of people. People tend to talk to the person who delivers the mail. You can make a lot of contacts. I know more than one person who worked their way up and out into very good jobs. Is that where you'll be or somewhere else? Keep us posted.

(And your very right about the phones.)

Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM

I'm going to be in the mail room and up front dealing with people. I think once I get fully trained it'll be half a day doing one and half a day doing the other. Working in the mail room is great because they people I work with know everyone due to it being the mail room. They know which people to look out for, who's cool, etc.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with the public. People can be really stupid. I mean literally stupid. While they're being stupid they think they're right, too. At least I'm not bilingual. So many of the people who go to our office speak only Spanish, but I'll just have to give them to someone who speaks Spanish. I know enough to be able to direct them to someone who is fluent.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
Sigh. I'm a Patriots fan. Every year I study and think I can predict what we will do in the draft. I should know by now it will be an unknown and a bunch of trades.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Why am I perched on the edge of the couch while two cats and a dog are taking up the whole thing?

Why?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why am I perched on the edge of the couch while two cats and a dog are taking up the whole thing?

Why?
Sure, you worked for it and you bought it. But you need to know your place. You're working for them. You should know that!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
You are having a day Fin. Or maybe you are enabling them?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I am a HUGE believer in the power of the mail room. Especially if they have you out delivering it in the offices. Mail tells you a ton. Who works for who. How the structure of the depts. work. If you get to deliver it you can meet a TON of people. People tend to talk to the person who delivers the mail. You can make a lot of contacts. I know more than one person who worked their way up and out into very good jobs. Is that where you'll be or somewhere else? Keep us posted.
I worked for Marsh & MClennan in the early 80s. I heard in the mid-90s that one of the mailroom guys worked his way up to SVP.

I realize this is more common for creative industries in LA and NYC, but it's refreshing to hear that it sometimes happens in conservative industries too.

Quote:
I'm not looking forward to dealing with the public. People can be really stupid. I mean literally stupid. While they're being stupid they think they're right, too. At least I'm not bilingual. So many of the people who go to our office speak only Spanish, but I'll just have to give them to someone who speaks Spanish. I know enough to be able to direct them to someone who is fluent.
You'll do fine with the public. Just don't take them personally. Let it roll of your back. Just remind yourself that they are special snowflakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting