Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Right now we definitely can't pay out of pocket since I just got back to work. However, once we do have some money I'll have to go. What about those permanent teeth implants? I'm not about to knock my teeth out to get them. They sound very painful to get put in and quite expensive. However, if I needed new teeth before my 50's, I really wouldn't want dentures. Do those have bad side effects or something? Who knows, maybe by the time I'm that age there will be something better than either one.
They're $1,500 to $3,000 each. There's no way we could even think of getting those for hubby since most of his teeth had to go. But I will probably get one if needed. It won't be a huge expense to for me. Since my teeth are in great shape, I might only need one or two. I don't think dental insurance covers implants either, not sure though. Even if a dental insurance plan does cover it, most plans only pay $1,000 per year (ours pays $1,200) per person---but you still have small copays and deductibles. Definitely start a savings account. My girlfriend, who never went to the dentist as a child (because she was afraid and her mother wouldn't force her), got an estimate of $12,000 to get work done on her teeth when she was in her mid-20s. And that wasn't even for implants!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So TWC just did its local on the 8's.
We're in for tornados, this after noon and into tonight.
Looking at all the other tornados that have happened....I can only imagine massive killer house leveling tornados.

Looking at all these houses on the internet that have been obliterated....nothing left except a pile of rubble....I can't imagine surviving if one were to hit the area.

My grandmother lives in a 1 story house, no basement, no storm cellar, nothing.
ANDDD to top it all off she's totally content with sitting in her laundry room and waiting till its over.
With the way those storms have been going, unless you have a storm cellar or basement, you die.
I am totally not ok with sitting in there. Racing my car to the ER's parking garage underground levels sits better with me.

All I can imagine is a tornado hitting and sitting in that room and either dying or ending up an amputee or end up with a wooden beam through my gut....
I don't know the layout of the house, but I don't know if the laundry room is the best place. An interior closet or bathroom would be better. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My sixth grade graduation party was held at Disneyland. (Aren't I lucky?) Herman was in L.A. for a TV show and was at Disneyland that night. We girls chased him (literally) all the way down Main Street and into a men's room. Screaming all the way.
I saw Peter Noone at the Denver airport a few years ago. I did a double take and he kind of waved and smiled. We were passing each other on the moving sidewalks. I think he was surprised someone from my generation recognized him.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

There's a Part II but I'm going to make you wait, lol.
Awwww, darn! I'll try very hard to be patient.

At the time, I'd have done almost anything (actually, probably anything) to spend an hour in the same room as Don and Phil! At least I can console myself with the fact that I actually got to kill Phil Everly in the 10 seconds we had together!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
At least I can console myself with the fact that I actually got to kill Phil Everly in the 10 seconds we had together!

Sorry.....some typos are too interesting to ignore!!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Good catch, mm! Very funny!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know the layout of the house, but I don't know if the laundry room is the best place. An interior closet or bathroom would be better. Good luck.
It is the only thing in the center of the house.
I told my grandmother we're leaving.
I am not going to stay in the house just for it to get leveled by a tornado and die.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
At least I can console myself with the fact that I actually got to kill Phil Everly in the 10 seconds we had together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Sorry.....some typos are too interesting to ignore!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good catch, mm! Very funny!

ROFL - that's what happens when you're half-watching a Dr. Phil episode about women who think it's perfectly okay to have affairs with married men.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM

970 posts, read 2,214,101 times
I haven't been to the dentist in awhile...I have health insurance but not dental, although I think I will pay out of pocket anyway just to get my teeth cleaned.

My best "encounter with a famous person story" is going to Tony Shalhoub's (the guy who plays Monk) house and having him cook myself and my friends breakfast. His niece is one of my friends.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

The thunder is starting...I am not looking forward tonight.
They are really hyping this stuff up here right now...
I think I just shat myself...

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Not to scare anyone who hasn't been to the dentist in a while or hardly ever.... I have a HUGE fear of the dentist. Don't know why.

Anyway, when I finally got myself to go, even though I have very strong teeth, I do have gum disease and am having to have the root planing done. Not pleasant and not cheap. Really, even if you don't have dental insurance, regular cleanings aren't that expensive. You can even look into dental discount plans. All I can say is go - don't put it off.

I've always had my son go every 6 months - even when DH was unemployed.

DH has to have a crown - they think he has a hair line crack. Lots of pain and the xrays showed nothing but he almost had to be bolted to the chair for the cleaning. They are hoping he won't need a root canal, but won't know until they really get in there.

Dental insurance generally has a $1500 cap per person per year.

Anywho...that's my story and I'm telling anyone who hasn't gone to go - you'll be glad you did! I don't know why I was so fearful really. Then again, things are much different then when I was little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.