Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Really, even if you don't have dental insurance, regular cleanings aren't that expensive. You can even look into dental discount plans. All I can say is go - don't put it off.
Yeah, cleanings are only $50-$140. It's worth the investment to avoid tens of thousands of dollars in future costs.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM

This is adorable! Must see!

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...0-seconds.html

It's a 40 second video someone made of their dog growing for the first year by taking pictures of it in the same place on the patio throughout the year.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:11 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Not to scare anyone who hasn't been to the dentist in a while or hardly ever.... I have a HUGE fear of the dentist. Don't know why.

Anyway, when I finally got myself to go, even though I have very strong teeth, I do have gum disease and am having to have the root planing done. Not pleasant and not cheap. Really, even if you don't have dental insurance, regular cleanings aren't that expensive. You can even look into dental discount plans. All I can say is go - don't put it off.

I totally agree, coop. If you're still a spring chook, then GO! I am the same, I had a terrible dentist experience when I was a kid, we used to get sent at school to the local dentist school - I had a tooth out, and you can imagine how that went - but I never went to the dentist apart from that and now I'm paying the price.

It's better to get in there and get it fixed. I don't think dental insurance is worth a carp. You can find dentists that will give you cleanings and checkups on groupon, for a fraction of the usual cost - the last dentist I went to said outright that dental insurance is a scam.

I stole the iPad from MrFR today - yay! You don't realize how much you miss the interwebz until you don't have it.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Good Morning All!

One thing worth bearing in mind about dental work is that you can get dental work for free if you offer your grills up to dental schools, dental assistant schools, oral hygienist schools, etc. The students are 100% supervised, and it's FREE. In fact I'd say you get more attention that usual.

I always volunteer my body up for students as the next generation of health care workers need to learn to be successful. For both of my deliveries I was surrounded by all sorts of students, and couldn't have received better care.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Sadly, our local dental school doesn't do free work. I found that out when I was searching for a cheap way for TK to have his wisdom teeth removed.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Good morning!

Still trying to get enough caffeine into my system so I can motivate myself to get something done around here. It's cool outside but I can feel the humidity. If the temperatures rise, it's going to get very uncomfortable today.

It has rained everyday here for the past few months. I'm surprised our area hasn't had any flooding yet, but I guess all of our rain washed down the Ohio River to flood the Mississippi. The ground is totally saturated though. It's just a matter of time before the floods happen around here.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sadly, our local dental school doesn't do free work. I found that out when I was searching for a cheap way for TK to have his wisdom teeth removed.
Yes, once you need anesthesia, etc, it's a bit beyond the scope of what they offer. But the basic cleanings and fillings are available.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Good morning!

Yep - we don't skip the dentist here. My teeth aren't too bad (although I was definitely cavity prone as a youngster) at this point but, like jk, I tend to gum disease. To keep up with that, I have my teeth cleaned 3X/yr instead of 2. Between all that, braces, and crowns, dental ins has been a good investment for us. I cheaped out one year and went with a DMO - then went to one of their providers. OMG - creepy creepy creepy. All the equipment was outdated, no one was there but the dentist and he gave me the heebie jeebies. Never ever again.....

I think a University Dental school is a great option though - even if it's not 100% free - it's sure to be discounted greatly. Dental health can impact overall health. So important to keep up.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Morning all!

My gripe of the day - what some are charging for Senior pictures.... ridiculous.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Here at UNC it can take all day for a simple dental procedure. I understand every little thing has to be checked by superior and there is alot of waiting around. I can't stand to wait for anything.

I looked into UNC dental school for very expensive work and the waiting list and the all day aspect of it made
me just go to regular dentist.

Hopes how is dog today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.