Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times

Advertisements

I'll add my vote to the "hate dentist appointment" poll. I've been putting off root canal for, oh, I don't know, 8 months now? It isn't the fear of pain keeping me from booking, it's the fact that the dentist told me he would need THREE hours to do it. Forget valium. I need a wine IV.

Today will be spent cleaning up doggie poop on two floors. DH left me a note that he got the worst of it, but didn't want to turn the steam machine on because I was sleeping. What a guy! Definitely code words for " I hope you'll get this done dear wife". The dog seems fine today at least, so I won't have to add a trip to the vet.

Attempting to make homemade marinara sauce at some point. My past forays into Italian cooking haven't risen much beyond Chef Boyadee results.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
The dentist doesn't bother me for some reason. I wouldn't go so far as to say I enjoy it but overall, it's just one more thing in my day. I've had a lot of stuff done over the years and luckily for me, I have had pretty good dentists and haven't had any bad experiences. Now, going to the doctor and getting shots OTOH, bothered me immensley until fairly recently. Shots really get to me. I used to decline novacaine for fillings just because I couldn't deal with the idea of getting a shot in my gum. The drill didn't bother me - the shot did.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in my dental issues. I need to deep scaling because I put off going for so long! I'll admit, once we get this over with, I'll be in there faithfully every 6 months.

Mattie - just have them put you under for the procedure. I have a friend who had them do that because she freaked so bad in the chair. Only problem is I don't think insurance covered it but for her it was worth it. Let's face it - dental insurance doesn't cover much and they spend a lot of time rejecting claims.....

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM

We must be on similar food wavelengths Mattie. I was thinking Italian for dinner also. Not marinara but Italian sausage with peppers and onions. My sausage will be of the turkey variety though and I'll have to include something additional for DH since he doesn't care for onions .

Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
DH since he doesn't care for onions .
Mine doesn't either! He'll pick them out of everything. I suppose I can understand in some circumstances, but how someone cannot like grilled onions is beyond me.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Mine doesn't either! He'll pick them out of everything. I suppose I can understand in some circumstances, but how someone cannot like grilled onions is beyond me.
I know!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'll add my vote to the "hate dentist appointment" poll. I've been putting off root canal for, oh, I don't know, 8 months now? It isn't the fear of pain keeping me from booking, it's the fact that the dentist told me he would need THREE hours to do it. Forget valium. I need a wine IV.
Three hours? Yikes! I'd want sedation too.

It has been four years since I was told I needed a root canal. I asked my regular doctor to prescribe an antibiotic. The tooth hasn't bothered me since. But I worry about the day a root canal becomes necessary.

Hubby is of the opinion that root canals don't work, that the tooth eventually needs to be pulled because once you remove the nerves the tooth is dead. . If that's the case (haven't done research), I think I'd rather put the money I would have spent on a root canal towards an inplant.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
We must be on similar food wavelengths Mattie. I was thinking Italian for dinner also. Not marinara but Italian sausage with peppers and onions. My sausage will be of the turkey variety though and I'll have to include something additional for DH since he doesn't care for onions .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Mine either (grilled, that is)! Grilled onions are heaven on Earth. I couldn't marry someone that didn't like onions at all. How can you cook without onions?!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
The dentist doesn't bother me for some reason. I wouldn't go so far as to say I enjoy it but overall, it's just one more thing in my day. I've had a lot of stuff done over the years and luckily for me, I have had pretty good dentists and haven't had any bad experiences. Now, going to the doctor and getting shots OTOH, bothered me immensley until fairly recently. Shots really get to me. I used to decline novacaine for fillings just because I couldn't deal with the idea of getting a shot in my gum. The drill didn't bother me - the shot did.
I grew up without using novacaine, never had novacaine until I was in my late 20s. I had fillings and teeth pulled without anything. Now that I've finally used novacaine, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to having work done without it.

I don't like the new cleaning tools. They make me fearful because they sound like drills. Has anyone else's dentist started using them yet?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
How can you cook without onions?!!!
You can't! Which is why my DH has to resort to picking them out. I refuse to cook without them. If they are chopped up small in something he doesn't care. But if they can be picked out, he will. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.