Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times

Advertisements

FR glad you liked the school!

I just spent an hour registering my kids on line for K and 2nd grade, and paying fees of course. We're leaving tomorrow for a week in the mountains with my parents.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times
Morning.

My son was always the small one - yet one of the oldest in his class due to his birthday. Early on though, everyone knew not to mess with him - bit of a temper.

It's really only been the past year or so that he finally started getting some height! It's hard for a boy with a very tall dad (6'3") to be short. He's constantly being compared to him by other people. I think he was happy once he finally got taller than me - that seemed to be his goal....

He's probably about 5'10" now. Not sure if he'll hit the 6' mark or not. He has my shortness going against him poor guy!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We're leaving tomorrow for a week in the mountains with my parents.
I hope you have a terrific time! I'll admit to being jealous. I was hoping we could have a trip up to the high country this summer. Spend a few days watching our football team practice in Flagstaff then go to the Grand Canyon. But with football being iffy the team may not go up there. Still hoping for a few days at the GC but DH's schedule is jammed. (Not that I'm complaining about being employed.)

Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My son was always the small one - yet one of the oldest in his class due to his birthday. Early on though, everyone knew not to mess with him - bit of a temper.

It's really only been the past year or so that he finally started getting some height! It's hard for a boy with a very tall dad (6'3") to be short. He's constantly being compared to him by other people. I think he was happy once he finally got taller than me - that seemed to be his goal....

He's probably about 5'10" now. Not sure if he'll hit the 6' mark or not. He has my shortness going against him poor guy!
I think height has become a topic du jour of mompetitors, which is crazy as kids have no control over it at all. I do feel very badly for those with very short kids though. I have friends, the mom is about 4'10", and the son at 14 is WAY shorter than my 8 year-old. The trend these days seems to be to seek out hormonal treatment, but I have no idea what I'd do.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,982,834 times
Thanks guys. Big milestone for us.

K for yours kibbie!

Wow Zim, 5.7. That's a tall kid for 10. No wonder your DS doesn't seem that tall, in comparison. And if anyone's going to lead the preschool revolution, it'll definitely be MissFR.

I'm only 5.3 and MrFR is 6.0, so I'm not sure where she got the statuesque gene.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
DS has a friend his age, almost 8 who is quite a bit smaller than my 5 yo. I feel bad for him. It isn't such a big deal now, but it will be when he's older. He could pass for a preschooler easily.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think height has become a topic du jour of mompetitors, which is crazy as kids have no control over it at all. I do feel very badly for those with very short kids though. I have friends, the mom is about 4'10", and the son at 14 is WAY shorter than my 8 year-old. The trend these days seems to be to seek out hormonal treatment, but I have no idea what I'd do.
Has it really? Geez. I'm actually a little concerned that she's going to be self conscious and that we'll be teaching her to embrace her height and not slouch and stuff. I think for girls - if she reaches a certain age and she's still towering over everybody it might become an issue - although we'll do her best to have her not stress over it.

I can't believe what people get superior about. I'm not looking forward to all that. Maybe I'll homeschool.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Morning.

LOL - pretty much the same here:

DS was always the small one and one of the oldest. I'm on the short side of average (5'4 ish) and DH is 6'2 ish. DS is currently about 5'9" and hoping to hit 6' but I'm dubious. The less-tall men in both families far outnumber the tall ones.

All through elem school his best buddy was HUGE - tall, huge feet the whole 9 yards. He is now 6'4" 250 and signed to play football with a Div 1 college.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Has it really? Geez. I'm actually a little concerned that she's going to be self conscious and that we'll be teaching her to embrace her height and not slouch and stuff. I think for girls - if she reaches a certain age and she's still towering over everybody it might become an issue - although we'll do her best to have her not stress over it.

I can't believe what people get superior about. I'm not looking forward to all that. Maybe I'll homeschool.
I don't know that it's that big a deal for girls to be tall anymore. A lot of tall girls here and they seem to be doing great - a number of DS's classmates are over 6' and going to college on volleyball scholarships....

Old 07-21-2011, 10:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times
I am 5'5, and DH is 5'10, but DH's uncles are all NBA height, so we'll have to see.

Kibbie - have a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.