Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I know, crazy. But I live in the burbs of GA, everything is theoretically cheaper around here. I also don't get styled, I walk out with wet hair.
Me too. I never style. I've never had a job that requires a perfect Coiff, so I've always had a finger dryed layered kinda thing, or a ponytail. But that does require a good cut, because mine is perfectly straight and it just falls flat otherwise. I have lots of it too, so my color costs are always outrageous.

I always wanted curly hair, tho.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
I know, crazy. But I live in the burbs of GA, everything is theoretically cheaper around here.
The cost of living is low here, but good hairdressers are still expensive. I guess that means that my region's stylists aren't as talented!

Quote:
I also don't get styled, I walk out with wet hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Me too. I never style. I've never had a job that requires a perfect Coiff, so I've always had a finger dryed layered kinda thing, or a ponytail. But that does require a good cut, because mine is perfectly straight and it just falls flat otherwise.
I prefer to leave wet too. If they blow dry or curl my straight hair, they can hide almost any mistake.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The cost of living is low here, but good hairdressers are still expensive. I guess that means that my region's stylists aren't as talented!

I prefer to leave wet too. If they blow dry or curl my straight hair, they can hide almost any mistake.
Oh, I get you. I thought Zim was saying she never styles herself. I'm the opposite, the only time I get a style is at the salon!

Unless I have a big event, then I do the curling iron.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Morning all -

I got a hair story - I cut my own hair Friday as well because I was tired of it and since I had to color it anyway.....

So I have very long hair and straight. And jet black. Last fall for the first time in YEARS I went to have it cut. I asked her to make long layers because it was pretty heavy and thick. Well, I wasn't thrilled with what she did - maybe she was afraid to cut too much.

So this past Friday I had had it. I cut about 2 inches off and then I put the longest comb on the clippers and I lightly went through sections of my hair.

Turned out great! Feels so light now. I'm sure I looked hilarious doing it though.

I color my own hair - have for years. I get the stuff at Sally Beauty and do all the mixing myself. Black hair does show the gray but for a quick fix I can cover it with mascara in a pinch. Seriously - it works wonders.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
LOL jk - I love dark hair - mine is kind of a medium brown. I asked my stylist about going a bit darker for a more striking look - I couldn't do black but I'd love a dark auburn... I have fair-ish skin and blue eyes so darker hair would make my eyes really stand out. She told me she doesn't think I have the discipline to go in and get my hair touched up more often. She said that while my eyes probably would stand out - so would the gray roots. She's pretty observant about my beauty upkeep/habits LOL...

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL jk - I love dark hair - mine is kind of a medium brown. I asked my stylist about going a bit darker for a more striking look - I couldn't do black but I'd love a dark auburn... I have fair-ish skin and blue eyes so darker hair would make my eyes really stand out. She told me she doesn't think I have the discipline to go in and get my hair touched up more often. She said that while my eyes probably would stand out - so would the gray roots. She's pretty observant about my beauty upkeep/habits LOL...
I've never had the discipline either, so I've had some pretty interesting growing out periods! But when I do go, I want a dramatic result, and damn the consequences.. . (actually I think that says more about me than I care to admit ).

Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
No trip to the lake today. My friend realized she needed to fill out mountains of paperwork before taking her kids to orientation this week, so she canceled on me.

Just as well, since youngest is heading back to college in a little bit. He would have forgiven me if I wasn't here, since he is less than 2 hours away, and will come home fairly often.

So funny that everyone is talking hair. That has been a topic of conversation among all my friends lately. We are TIRED of paying big bucks every six weeks or so. A cut, base, and a few highlights runs me $235.00, and I'm over it. I do need a good cut though, that isn't something I can economize on with my thick wavy hair. So, my quandary is, can I try to color my own, knowing my stylist will be able to tell? Why do I even care what she thinks? (but I do).

Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Coop - you are very brave. I am way too chickenpoo to cut my own hair. Long, black rocker-chick hair? Cool!

Quote:
I thought Zim was saying she never styles herself.
You are correct, I never style. I am way too lazy, and my hair takes hours to dry, and hours to blow out straight. Very curly hair is on the coarse side, and blow drying dries it out = lots of splitting and breaking = not pretty! I just wash and go.

Quote:
But when I do go, I want a dramatic result, and damn the consequences.. . (actually I think that says more about me than I care to admit ).
Haha! That's me too. Are you saying we are wild children?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Wow....I feel like I have no business whining about the cost for a cut and color... I think when I first did the cut and overall color with highlights, it ran me $140 (without tip)...I decided the highlights, while pretty, were an unnecessary expense...I go every 5-6 weeks for a trim and root touch up which runs me $85 (before tip)....

Mattie - I did my own color for years and liked the color just not the mess and the hassle. I just used the L'Oreal stuff from Walmart - it did have to be Level 3 not a level 2 because I have coarse gray hair which can be hard to cover....semi permanent just doesn't cut it.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I can't imagine having to thin my hair! I have to twist a band around 3 or 4 times to make a ponytail stay. It's pretty thin, straight, and impossible to hide a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting