Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I was thinking we wouldn't do the CSA next year with the farm, but the more I think about it, the more we might do it again. Yes, there are some things I don't like - but we have been saving money and eating better. The beets and kale - I can't come up with any good ideas. We got chard again today and I'm not a fan. But DS likes it. So I'll keep trying.
We have an local organic fruit and veggie delivery here. We haven't tried it yet, but the more I think about it, the more appealing it sounds. I definitely think one eats healthier.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I will never try to bake a layer cake again. That's how bad the last one was. I'll do cupcakes, but that's it. thanks for the recipe!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
We just had the discussion here about easing into school. DH thought it was stupid that DS's first day would be on a Friday. I don't think it's that big a deal. District wise they start on Thursday, but at DS's high school, only Freshmen go that first day. Which is a nice thing. So DS starts on Friday.

It just takes a couple weeks to get back into it.
It was actually kind of nice for the kids to start on Wed. A nice 3-day week to ease them in. I like their classroom visit days too. Each kid goes in for 15 minutes to find their desk, meet the teacher, find out where to line up, etc. I do wonder how the working parents deal with it, though. I suppose they take an hour off to go, but we didn't find out the day and time until the week before.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We have an local organic fruit and veggie delivery here. We haven't tried it yet, but the more I think about it, the more appealing it sounds. I definitely think one eats healthier.
And I'm having to think outside the box. Foods I've never tried and normally wouldn't have and recipes I've never tried. One nice thing about our farm share is that they swap with other farms. So the corn and peaches we got today came from other Colorado farms. Gives us more variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I will never try to bake a layer cake again. That's how bad the last one was. I'll do cupcakes, but that's it. thanks for the recipe!
lol! I can only imagine. My son tried a cake when he was younger (he loves to cook). Based on what happened to him - I've never tried. It's frustrating to say the least.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
And I'm having to think outside the box. Foods I've never tried and normally wouldn't have and recipes I've never tried. One nice thing about our farm share is that they swap with other farms. So the corn and peaches we got today came from other Colorado farms. Gives us more variety.
Absolutely have to be more creative, that would be good for me. The way the local one works is they email you the night before notifying you what's in the box, and you can make changes if you so wish. Kinda takes away the charm a bit, but maybe more practical.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It was actually kind of nice for the kids to start on Wed. A nice 3-day week to ease them in. I like their classroom visit days too. Each kid goes in for 15 minutes to find their desk, meet the teacher, find out where to line up, etc. I do wonder how the working parents deal with it, though. I suppose they take an hour off to go, but we didn't find out the day and time until the week before.
I kind of miss those days! Our son had really great teachers in elementary. We had a great experience - and I really enjoyed volunteering and getting to know those kids. It's going to be bitter sweet come this next May when I see them all graduating. I remember them from kindergarten. Now they are all growing up.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I likes it when tbe kids started school on a Friday...that first day is usually just going over the syllabus, expectations, supplies etc. That gave us the weekend to shop for the unexpected stuff, sign papers etc and they could hit the ground running on Monday...They changed it a few years ago ...DS ztarts tomorrow. Freshmen started today.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
I kind of miss those days! Our son had really great teachers in elementary. We had a great experience - and I really enjoyed volunteering and getting to know those kids. It's going to be bitter sweet come this next May when I see them all graduating. I remember them from kindergarten. Now they are all growing up.
Don't get me started

I have really been enjoying having everyone home and together lately...even though I know it's temporary.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Absolutely have to be more creative, that would be good for me. The way the local one works is they email you the night before notifying you what's in the box, and you can make changes if you so wish. Kinda takes away the charm a bit, but maybe more practical.
You should give it a try. For me, there have only been a couple of things I really, really disliked. There were some things I got tired of (early season greens - omg - we were so sick of salads).

But.... I would never have guessed my son would like coleslaw - but he loved what I made tonight. So everyone is trying new things.

He has the extra bonus of working there - so total farm to plate for him. And we hear all the harvesting stories. He came home Sunday stinking of tomato plants! We got a bunch of cherry tomatoes today. Still got to figure out something clever to do with those.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That gave us the weekend to shop for the unexpected stuff, sign papers etc.
Write checks....

We seem to be starting so late here compared to everyone else. DS goes in Thursday for registration. Then still has a whole week before school starts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting