Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times

Advertisements

Yikes! Safe travels to school this year!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times
Yikes Coop, scary story.

Hopes & Mattie -

My tales from puritan hell today (public school in the Bible Belt) - DD8 told me her classmate was sent to the principals office today for lifting his shirt on the playground and showing the girls his belly button.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,992,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It is strange. Sounds like his wife nags him about Mattie. You'd think they'd have plenty of other topics to fight about that Mattie would get lost in the shuffle.

Mattie, my parents hated my boyfriends and my first husband. I knew how they felt. And I accepted that. I would have never badgered them with such pathetic questions. I was pleased enough with the fact they were polite and civil to the men in my life. That was good enough. (They never met my current husband. Such a shame because they would have loved him.)

The next time DS says something like that, invite them for the weekend. That will shut him up! ('cause you know there's no way she'll come for a visit!)

That's THE BEST way to turn the tables! Think about it!

Mattie DS: Why don't you ever ask about wife?

Mattie: Oh honey, how is she? I'd love for you both to come for a visit. How about this weekend?

Trust me, he'll stop asking you those silly questions if you invite them to visit every single time he does it!
That's exactly what I did! I told him we would love to see them both.
DS mentioned their dog, and I responded that the dog was welcome too.
It isn't true that I never ask about her. She was sick a few weeks ago, and the next time I spoke to DS I specifically asked how she was.

He asked us to come up and visit them. I told him we had discussed it and it was a possibility, but #1, we hadn't been invited, and #2, it would be awkward if we were expected to socialize with the other in-laws. I will not put myself into that position. But if we know they will be happy to see us, we will go.

On a positive note, middle son just called from the book store with an armload of mostly used textbooks. He came around.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,217,691 times
we have a new chandelier in the dining room! What a difference! The original builder spec brass one literally fell apart last week. The new one is bronze with a little shade on each bulb. If you don't look close, you won't notice it is kind of cheeply made. It looks so much better than the old one!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM

13,498 posts, read 10,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
We are off to Back to School night. I have an interesting story from the first one - when DS was a Freshman.

The school is a bit out in the country. We were on a one lane road, stopped at a stop light, getting ready to turn right. We were one car back from the light. There was a left turn lane as well.

DH sees a truck coming from the other direction. At a high rate of speed. He doesn't think it's going to stop, then sees police lights behind it. He just reacts - pulls over onto the shoulder and drives up slightly....

just as the truck ran the red light going way over 100 mph - a BMW coming the other direction (that had the green) never saw him - smashed into him. Truck goes airborne. Lands on the vehicle next to us in the left turn lane, flies down, skids upside quite a ways down the road. Driver GETS OUT and runs - zillion cop cars pull up, stop, guns pointed! Flight for life had to come for the people in the car (with a baby).

Needless to say - we did not make it to Back to School Night....
coop! That's terrifying! I hate to see car accidents. I'm so glad you didn't get landed on. Are you OK? Are you a bit shaken up? Do you need to get under Dew's sink?

I hope the family with the baby is OK.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,217,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
coop! That's terrifying! I hate to see car accidents. I'm so glad you didn't get landed on. Are you OK? Are you a bit shaken up? Do you need to get under Dew's sink?

Any excuse to get under Dew's sink! That does sound like a horrible thing to witness.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,234,555 times
We're all in luck!

DH came home with a big bottle of Kahlua. Jack has a friend.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We're all in luck!

DH came home with a big bottle of Kahlua. Jack has a friend.
It's always good to make new friends.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
Do you ever feel badly, like you were the worst Mom in the world? As I look back on my children's childhood, I feel bad. I was always working, going to school, moving, exhausted. Just trying to keep food on the table. I feel like time passed so fast, and nothing worked out the way I wanted it to. Now, my kids are all grown, we never made cookies...I always wanted to...some things just don't tunr out the way you wanted them to. Now, I don't even have a place for them to come home to any more. I am doing well, not to be homeless myself. Oh well...at least we were never homeless. Close...but never were...Just depressed today, about what a complete failure I have been...I always worked holidays, for the double pay...and because they depressed me too much. I short changed everyone. Now, those same holidays are coming around again...and I am dreading them. I need to cheer up...Some people don't have fancy homes, or lots of money, or even furniture...we just make it pay check to pay check...and it just never ends.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That's exactly what I did! I told him we would love to see them both.
DS mentioned their dog, and I responded that the dog was welcome too.
I'd always use that tactic anytime he tries to bring up the "why don't you like her" crap.

Quote:
He asked us to come up and visit them. I told him.....but #1, we hadn't been invited....
But isn't his asking you to visit an invitation in itself?

Quote:
#2, it would be awkward if we were expected to socialize with the other in-laws. I will not put myself into that position.
I highly doubt that would happen since it's obvious the other in-laws aren't interested in socializing with you either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
we have a new chandelier in the dining room! What a difference! The original builder spec brass one literally fell apart last week. The new one is bronze with a little shade on each bulb. If you don't look close, you won't notice it is kind of cheeply made. It looks so much better than the old one!
Congrats! You've inspired me with an idea: We should all break things we don't like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

I think that story was from a previous year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting