Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Word of the Day
Thursday, August 25, 2011
footle
\FOOT-l\ , verb;
To act or talk in a foolish or silly way.
noun:
Nonsense; silliness.

CDMWR wouldn't know anything about that...
Wow. That is the most appropriate word of the day I have ever seen. Footle seems to be SOP around here. lol

Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Do you ever feel badly, like you were the worst Mom in the world? As I look back on my children's childhood, I feel bad. I was always working, going to school, moving, exhausted. Just trying to keep food on the table. I feel like time passed so fast, and nothing worked out the way I wanted it to. Now, my kids are all grown, we never made cookies...I always wanted to...some things just don't tunr out the way you wanted them to. Now, I don't even have a place for them to come home to any more. I am doing well, not to be homeless myself. Oh well...at least we were never homeless. Close...but never were...Just depressed today, about what a complete failure I have been...I always worked holidays, for the double pay...and because they depressed me too much. I short changed everyone. Now, those same holidays are coming around again...and I am dreading them. I need to cheer up...Some people don't have fancy homes, or lots of money, or even furniture...we just make it pay check to pay check...and it just never ends.
First, Jasper, big Hug. Big!

I think most parents feel, at one point or another, like the worst parent in the world. (The ones who don't are probably delusional about their parenting abilities and their own children would beg to differ.)

All of us have our own struggles. And regrets. There is no shame in working as hard as you did to support your kids. In fact, while reading your posts, I've come to admire it. I hope if you continue to feel overly depressed you will seek help. There is no shame in counseling and anti-depressants. I went through it myself because of my own health problems and the health problems in my family. (The lottery we lost.) So I urge you to look into that. Anti-depressants help you through the times the chemicals in your brain are all screwy. Which is a large component of depression. Counseling gives you the tools to deal with what you are feeling. A support group, led by a counselor, gives you people to talk to.

Everyone hypes holidays. Which make them hard to get through for a lot of people. You are not alone.

I'd urge you to hang out with us more. We get pretty silly and pick each other up. You are more than welcome to blow off a little steam and join us!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Morning everyone - special hugs to Jasper....and ditto what everyone else said...we all feel like that at one point or another. You just do the best you can with what you have to work with. No shame at all in that.

Feel free to join in the footle that frequently happens here....

Have a great day everyone....

Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
*hugs jasper too*
Hey at least you provided for them and did for them and was there for them in ways you'll never know. They may have not had glamorous holidays but they had family, which is really whats most important.

Speaking of national holidays...
ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Happy birthday, txt. Any news from Walmart?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Good news! There are actually honest mechanics out there!

A few years ago, we garaged one of our vehicles because it needed almost a thousand dollars worth of work done to pass inspection.

Throughout the years, hubby has slowly worked on the long list. Yesterday, we took it to my friend's garage to have the work done that hubby couldn't do.

Guess what! They called today and said everything is fine---the work we were told needed to be done does not need to be done!

That garage up the street from me is such a rip off. Everytime we took our vehicles there for inspection, it was always near a thousand dollars.

Never again. I'm sticking with my friend's garage---especially since his mechanics didn't even know they were working on a friend's vehicle!

It's definitely worth the long trip to the other side of town!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times
Okay, I really need to come on here more regularly- I just read through the last 10 pages of this thread and you.all.are.HILARIOUS! I love it!

Happy birthday txt. It's my DD's as well. She has cross country practice this afternoon then she is going over to her friend's house to "watch movies" (a surprise party actually!), so it should be a very good birthday for her! On the other hand, I don't feel old enough to have a 16 year old!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Happy Birthday to TXT and MissStraw!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Happy Birthday, txt and Miss Straw!

jasper: thinking of you today

Hopes: awesome news about your vehicle! And even better about finding a trustworthy mechanic - no small feat these days!!

I am going to go follow up on some of the footle being posted in P&OC - it's like a train wreck - I just can't seem to look away!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:02 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Yes, happy birthday txt and MissFlower.

Ewag.... ha! I have too been sucked in over there. It didn't last long. It's the same bunch of doombasses posting the same carp over and over. Footle is not a strong enough word for it.

Great word coop. I'm a bit slow on the uptake today, but I'll think of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting