Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times

Advertisements

Do you have a job? I am guessing you are not college material...but if you have an income you can certainly help your mother out, financially or around the house. Act like an adult and you are more likely to be treated as one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
This is sometimes what mom's do. Either accept it (and ignore it if you want) or gear up for a world of hurt.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I had no trouble understanding this fact about moms, and I don't have to be a mom to fully understand it. I knew, when I was a kid, that my mom would -always- want to "tell me how to fix what's wrong" instead of teaching me how to discover that for myself. Understanding it, and accepting it, are two different things. You don't need to be a mom to accept this fact about moms. You just need to be an adult.
Not all moms want to "tell me how to fix what's wrong".as you said, many do indeed let their children discover that for themselves.If you love your mom, you will accept them the way they are, it doesn't matter whether you understand it or not!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Like, your grammar suggests as though you were still in elementary school, like maybe your mom just wants to, you know, help you grow up a bit. I had to like recently tell my college-aged son to call back his interviewer for an internship, because you know like he might not have gotten it if I hadn't kept pushing him to like call back. He was a little slow to do it. You know.

Unless you are living on your own, you can expect your mom to act like a mom. At 23 you should be either going to college full-time, working full-time, or any combination of the two. Perhaps she's trying to prepare you for this. You are old enough, and hopefully mature enough to move out on your own now, problem solved.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:36 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
This is something you might have to battle on your own; live your own life and practice sharing less and less with your mother. You'll have solved that problem yourself one day when you realize she has nothing to use in treating you like a child.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Why are you wasting time complaining about "mommy" on a public forum, when you should be hustling to get your own life.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,127 times
You might impress her if you earnestly ask for her help in getting a job with a living wage. Even if she does not know what advice to give you, I bet you she can find someone who can help you!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,381,186 times
I think some of you missed it when the original poster said that she does live on her own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Uh, actually you haven't fully and carefully read what I had said. What I said was that I USED TO live with my Grandparents while I was in elementary school while my mom was out trying to find a place for us, and due to me not being with her that much(except that we see each other when we like go out with each oother) she haven't seen me grow up and mature. And keep in mind that "I'm on my own" etc.
And to Blackandgold51, my Mom does the same thing - it's just in her nature to mother-mother-mother everyone around her. Completely annoying, and there's nothing anyone can do to change it - it's just the way some mothers are!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,424,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I think some of you missed it when the original poster said that she does live on her own...
I'm sorry to correct you but I'm a male lololol!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,689 times
I am thinking there are some advantages of going back home to mom.
If she does my washing, cooking, packs my lunch box, does the ironing and basically takes responsibility for me then I can live with her telling me when to go to bed. I wonder if she will put fuel in my car, pay the mortgage, rates, taxes too. All that just so she can tell me what time to go to bed. Sounds like a good deal to me. And after work (I mean school) I can drop in on a few mates and kick a ball just so long as I am home in time for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting