Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
I nearly choked when I read through the pages of this thread in comparison to the posts on the thread about the padded swim suit top.

With the swim suit, it's deplorable to most of you that girls are wanting to grow up a little faster, but here a lot of you actually encourage your daughters to grow up faster by wearing makeup.

None of you want your 11 year old to look like she has larger breasts, but you're all for her looking like a streetwalker with makeup at 11 or so.

I'd be more inclined to allow the swim suit than the makeup.
first, a 17-year-old is "98%" grown up;
second, when makeup is used properly it enhances one's appearance, does not make someone 'look like a streetwalker;'
however- and even more important- the two topics are entirely different, even past the ages- while makeup = "look her best and feel good about herself," padded tops = 'getting attention'- and not in a positive way- not even mentioning what that kinda thing would do to a little kid's self-image and self-esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
I nearly choked when I read through the pages of this thread in comparison to the posts on the thread about the padded swim suit top.

With the swim suit, it's deplorable to most of you that girls are wanting to grow up a little faster, but here a lot of you actually encourage your daughters to grow up faster by wearing makeup.

None of you want your 11 year old to look like she has larger breasts, but you're all for her looking like a streetwalker with makeup at 11 or so.

I'd be more inclined to allow the swim suit than the makeup.
How are we "all for her looking like a streetwalker at 11 or so?" I don't recall anybody saying anything of the sort.

By the time my daughter is 17 she can decide what makeup to wear and whether she wants to wear a push-up bra or not. I've worn my fair share of both, and I'm not going to make sartorial choices for her at that age.

But at 7 or 8, before she's mature enough to have a firm grasp of her place in the world, the answer is no.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM

157 posts, read 140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The swimsuit annoyance was over marketing them to girls as young as 7 or 8. The teen this post refers to is 17 - almost an adult by legal standards. Quite a different thing.
No it isn't. How many posts are condescending to the mother because the daughter is now 17 and doesn't wear makeup YET? How many say it's ok for girls at age 11 to begin wearing makeup to school? There is no difference. They are BOTH about little girls trying to look older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Makeup does not equal looking like a streetwalker.
Yes it does. Before girls mature they look like hookers with makeup on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
first, a 17-year-old is "98%" grown up;
second, when makeup is used properly it enhances one's appearance, does not make someone 'look like a streetwalker;'
however- and even more important- the two topics are entirely different, even past the ages- while makeup = "look her best and feel good about herself," padded tops = 'getting attention'- and not in a positive way- not even mentioning what that kinda thing would do to a little kid's self-image and self-esteem.
You are assuming that you know what is in the head of every little girl. There are a LOT of young teens who wear makeup to get attention-and not in a positive way.

Furthermore, when padding is used properly, it enhances one's appearance as well. There are plenty of grown women who wear padded bras ALL THE TIME, not just on the beach, and not just to get ATTENTION. They do because it makes them feel her best and good about herself.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
We don't do make up at all in our house. Our children will not be allowed to wear it while living here. While it seems weird to most people, that is our stance. We believe that women and girls shouldn't have to put make up on in order for them to either feel pretty or for others to think they are pretty.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I love make-up and have since I was 11.
When I was younger it was NEVER to appeal to guys but because I LOVED to work with different looks and I LIKED how it made me look.
Now, I do it so I look nice and pretty and attractive but I STILL love the way it makes me look and I love working with different looks.
Goodness me. Txtqueen and I agree on something

Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM

296 posts, read 543,024 times
I can tell you that by 17 my daughter can and will probably be wearing makeup. Even at age 10 if she wanted to wear lip gloss or cheek stain, she can. I'll encourage personal freedoms and growth. At that age she can make that decision for herself. In the end it's all about what makes her happy. After all it's just makeup.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:32 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Wow. I'm fairly conservative in my appearance (at 40-something, I rarely wear make-up), but I have absoutely no problem with my 12-year-old wearing a bit of beige eye shadow and lip gloss. Nor do I have any issue with a slightly padded size 32A bra. Padded bras help smooth one's bustline. A bathing suit with padding is less revealing than one without it. I wear a padded suit for the same reason my daughter does: modesty.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-29-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,446 times
why don't you allow her to wear make-up and judge how much she is wearing? If it's too much, ask her to remove some. If it's the perfect amount, then approve of it. I didn't really start wearing make-up until recently...And I'm a senior in college.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
My daughter really has no interest in boys...is very academically and athletically focused, think straight A's in all AP, on varsity sports, very driven, never on facebook, etc. BUT she loves fashion, loves clothes and looking nice. She hates it when teens wear revealing clothes, plunging necklines, push up bras, etc. But she often wears skirts, dresses, nice jeans, and is very fashion forward, for herself, not to impress boys. SHe has been allowed to wear makeup and I have never put a rule on it for her. I think she has been wearing mascara since the 7th (age 12-13) grade, she has beautiful eyes and she accentuates them, but it looks very natural. Occasionally on the weekends whe wears lip gloss as well. Honestly, I think there are much bigger issues to worry about and who really cares??

Being so strict offen just pushes kids (and people) the opposite way so I would be careful, as it looks like she is already sneaking around and frankly I don't blame her!

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
I am 20 yrs old and have worn no make up other than lip gloss my whole life. I just dont think you should fix something thats not broken...with that being said my mom would have allowed me to wear make up as I wanted to but I had no such desire. Teens already have problems with acne why would you do something that makes it worse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting