Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Not just NO......oh HELL NO! I can't begin to tell you how absolutely disgusted I am when I hear that there ARE parents who allow that type of thing to go on! Okay, let me rephrase that. It disgusts me that there are "breeders" who allow that sort of thing with 16 year olds. They don't even deserve the title of parents!

I also think the point this poster is trying to make is that parents that will allow such things as drinking, smoking, etc at an earlier age make it that much harder for us parents that DO NOT allow that type of behavior.

Then because of those parents poor choices we have our children saying: Oh but, so and so parents let them......

No, we dont want to hear that, and No, I don't care what "so and so's" parents allow them to do.... a 16 year old girl drinking, and I will include boys here as well, is not happening, at least not in my home, it is not happening......As a parent, I am smarter, and I know right from wrong...and it is wrong to let 16 year old drink at home, and it isn't right for 16 year old to drink at home either

****sticks tongue out*****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,736,389 times
I'd let my 16-year-old have a glass of wine with dinner or one beer/wine cooler at a cookout, but I'd NEVER serve alcohol to his/her friends or allow them to drink in my home!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'd let my 16-year-old have a glass of wine with dinner or one beer/wine cooler at a cookout, but I'd NEVER serve alcohol to his/her friends or allow them to drink in my home!

I wouldn't

Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM

235 posts, read 511,088 times
No way. I wouldn't allow it at all. Like many others have already said, it's just asking for trouble.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,510,887 times
In this country where people sue each other left ad right, no way in hell I would have my teenage kid have a sleepover involving alcohol!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,469,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Say you have a 16 year old daughter. She claims that all of her friends drink alcohol at least occasionally and their parents are fine with it. They argue that allowing their children to have drinking parties but being there is the best route, because they are going to end up drinking anyway, and supervision is always better than non-supervision. Then she asks you to let her and her six female friends have a sleepover at your house, which will involve alcohol. Do you let her have the sleepover?
Why the hell would anybody ever consider doing that?

An adult providing alcohol to minors is against the law!

Do you realize the legal trouble you could be in for if something happened?

You're looking at corruption of minors. That's jail time.

Does your liability insurance cover accidents when the law is broken?

What's the drinking age in your state?

Find that out before you ever consider doing something foolish like that!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM

841 posts, read 4,842,028 times
The above post raises a good point. Providing alchohol to minors is 'contributing to the delinquency of minors'. That can be jail time for the adult, and some serious development issues for the teenager.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Say you have a 16 year old daughter. She claims that all of her friends drink alcohol at least occasionally and their parents are fine with it. They argue that allowing their children to have drinking parties but being there is the best route, because they are going to end up drinking anyway, and supervision is always better than non-supervision. Then she asks you to let her and her six female friends have a sleepover at your house, which will involve alcohol. Do you let her have the sleepover?

Contact these kids parents and tell them that you'll agree to an alcohol party as long as they agree to a sex party. Tell them not to worry because you will supervise the kids. After all they will have sex so it might as well be under your roof.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,668 times
Our school district has been handing out yard signs that read "parents who host lose the most". I agree with that statement very much. Not only is it illegal (and could end up with extreme legal repercussions) but it's highly dangerous for minors to drink alcohol.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,920,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
In this country where people sue each other left ad right, no way in hell I would have my teenage kid have a sleepover involving alcohol!
And in a day and age where anything can be posted online, if someone posted a picture of you drinking a beer at age 16, it could seriously mess up your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting