Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,360,305 times

Advertisements

YDS will be in a preschool summer program for 3 mornings per week for the bulk of the summer. ODS has a two week camp near the end of the summer. Our local movie theater offers free movies two mornings per week so I am planning on taking them to a few of those. ODS's school also has math and reading programs online that the kids can do over the summer so I'll have him do those a few times per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,393,975 times
When our kids were younger they were "in" a lot of things in the summer, but they only lasted for a hour or two each day. They were fun things like pottery class or Lego classes. They also did various sports camps, but then again, so did all their friends. They still had plenty of time to play, go to the pool etc. Our kids liked to be active and most of their activities were in the morning before the pool opened and they would spend a good chunk of the afternoon at the pool--but so did all of their friends.

Now that they are in high school they have marching band practices, work, golf practice, etc. It sounds like a lot, but they are still doing all of this with their friends so it doesn't seem like "work" to them. We are going on some college visits as well. It gets pretty busy once marching band starts with 8 hour/day practices, band camp, drill camp, sectionals, etc. but again, all of their friends are in marching band too so they have a blast.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,278,413 times
Both kids are enrolled in a sports camp at a local swim club. We usually hang out at the club most of the day because it has 4 swimming pools, basketball and tennis courts, a diving pool, play ground, ping pong tables, etc. Really a great place to be outdoors all day long.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM

18,492 posts, read 31,705,587 times
No, when my boys were younger, summer meant total freedom for all of us, (me included). Nothing was set in stone, everything was a moment thing. If they wanted to go to an event, we would go, but there were no schedules. We just did what we felt like doing for the day........

and my sister is the same way with her boys as well........

Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,589,910 times
We have 8 weeks off, and it's a bit hot here for kids to spend too much time playing outdoors unless it's at the pool, so I have to schedule a few things. We have summer swim league every day for a month, weekly piano, DD does Jazzercise 2x week, DS has an informal neighborhood chess club, both take pottery classes given by a friend. The school issues a summer reading lists which will keep them busy with reading. Family coming to visit, free movies, bowling, and multiple pay dates will fill up the remainder.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,763,786 times
The kids' last day of school is tomorrow, and all three start summer classes on Monday. This school year gets out a week later than usual (school opening was delayed last term due to construction), and there's usually a week break between spring and summer semesters, but not this year. The youngest is going to a social skills group as part of his IEP, the middle one has an extended school year due to special ed, and the oldest is retaking a class she flunked. They all leave at different times to go to different schools and come back at different times ... should be fun. This will go on through late July.

Other than that, we're enrolling the youngest in swimming lessons.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 AM

841 posts, read 4,843,807 times
Since I have to work 30 hours per week during the summer, both of my boys are enrolled in day camps.

Tennis camps
Nature & Science camp
Kayak and rock climbing camp
Bike camp
Swim camp
Soccer camp
Hogwarts Academy camp
and a few YMCA camps thrown in for good measure.

I wish we could have more freedom and fly by the seats of our pants summer. But my work schedule does not allow me to take my summers off.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,909,729 times
My son will have one week of Lego Robotics Camp (day program), and perhaps a day camp run at the local community center for a week. I also take him camping out on an island for a week. Other than that... it's all about the woods, the bike, the beach and the fishing pole. (Okay, and the Wii and the Dsi and the various other electronic whiz-dings... but a lot of outside stuff!).

Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,098,840 times
yes they have a long list of chores to do.
1. Gather the eggs from the chickens
2. feed the horse, cows, pigs, roosters, hens, ...and whatever other animal there is on the farm
3. scrub the floor, with using a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush
4. wash clothes..have to do it down by the river..
5. do every kind of harvesting work, plant, pick, fertilize, all the work to grow food
6. Iron load of laundry..with an iron you have to heat yourself
7. Wash pile of dishes
8. Wash windows
9. peel potatoes all day long
10. feed me grapes and fan me off with big leaves..
My kids don't know about this summer list yet..

Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 8,999 times
^^ I like Number 10 a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting