Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM

345 posts, read 474,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My sister was kicked out of the house when she turned 18. She paid for 2 years of community college on her own, and now it's time for her to transfer to the 4 year school. She applied for financial aid, and in order to qualify without our parents' info, she had to prove "abandonment" as stated above. The school was able to tell her the steps to prove abandonment, which included my writing a letter explaining the details of her situation.

More info on dependency overrides:
FinAid | Professional Judgment | Dependency Overrides

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Im not getting your abreviations?
Have you contacted an attorney?

F = friend of daughter

DD = darling daughter

CC = community college

GP = grandparents

XBF = Ex boyfriend

T/P = toilet papered

C = the "C" word

***** = the W word

B/C = birth certificate

FA = financial aide

attorney on tuesday

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
As others have said, first things first. She needs to do well in CC to keep her scholarship, no? When she starts applying to 4 year colleges, she needs to talk directly with the financial aid offices of the colleges she selects and get their assistance with this mess.

Here is in brief, the definition of "emancipated minor" at the University of Colorado, which refers to students younger than age 22.

Residency and Tuition Classification Regulations | Office of the Registrar | CU-Boulder

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My sister was kicked out of the house when she turned 18. She paid for 2 years of community college on her own, and now it's time for her to transfer to the 4 year school. She applied for financial aid, and in order to qualify without our parents' info, she had to prove "abandonment" as stated above. The school was able to tell her the steps to prove abandonment, which included my writing a letter explaining the details of her situation.

More info on dependency overrides:
FinAid | Professional Judgment | Dependency Overrides
Yep. The reason I knew about this is b/c I helped someone else do it some years ago - I am thinking about 10 years ago. The laws changed at some point (in re: to proving independence as far as student loans go) and I am not sure when that was. Anyway, that is the route we had to go and it worked!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Anyone deal with vocational rehab? A friend of mine said she's elegible because of the OCD and GAD d/x.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Wrong. Vocational Rehabilitation determines eligibility, not clients. She can apply for services, it takes 90 days from date of application to determination of eligibility. They will pay for a psych evaluation. It depends on the state you live in, Vocational Rehabilitation has had funding shortfalls, and are now on a list, those with most serious disabilities get money first.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

F got her drivers permit renewed and we went to the bank to open an account for her. She will need it for school and a summer job (she will be applying at some of the fireworks places). So she calls her mother for her social security card a few days ago and her mom told her she would get it to her. Fast forward to today. Still no card and mom won't give her the number.

Questions:

F doesn't know her number. Is there another source?

If not what are the legal recourses short of getting an attorney involved?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM

179 posts, read 516,881 times
I wanted to mention something with the college. I believe you mentioned that she would like to be a teacher. I did not pick up where you are from but in some states there are programs where the state will pay for their school and the student has to commit to working for them for a certain number of years. I believe it is normally like an inner city school type setting. However, it would help alot with college costs.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
F got her drivers permit renewed and we went to the bank to open an account for her. She will need it for school and a summer job (she will be applying at some of the fireworks places). So she calls her mother for her social security card a few days ago and her mom told her she would get it to her. Fast forward to today. Still no card and mom won't give her the number.

Questions:

F doesn't know her number. Is there another source?

If not what are the legal recourses short of getting an attorney involved?
We ran into this with TK because his mother wouldn't hand over his birth certificate or social security card. She'll need to get her social security card directly from the social security office. She'll need a photo ID and her birth certificate. She can get the birth certificate effortlessly without any ID. If she doesn't have a photo ID (in my state, you can't get photo ID without a social security card---sort of a terrible Catch 22), she'll need to get her medical records from her doctor's office. Social security will accept her medical records (latest physical) and her birth certificate. The physical has to be fairly recent. If she hasn't had one within the specified amount of time required, you'll need to take her for a physical.

Here's the social security website on identity:

Quote:
Identity: We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information and preferably a recent photograph. Social Security will ask to see a U.S. driver’s license, state-issued nondriver identification card or U.S. passport as proof of identity. If you do not have the specific documents we ask for, we will ask to see other documents including:

•Employee ID card;
•School ID card;
•Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
•U.S. military ID card;
•Adoption decree;
•Life insurance policy; or
•Marriage document (only in name change situations).

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html
We didn't have any of those documents. That's when the worker at SS told us about a physical from a doctor.

We have found that it's easier to get this stuff on our own instead of trying to force the parents. It never ocurred to me at the time we were getting his social security card that we could have received his health insurance card. Later, when he injured his hand, we were able to get his health insurance card directly from the health insurance company. He did need to know his social security number and birthdate for the health insurance to give the policy info and card to us. If you need JUST THE SS NUMBER in order to get the health insurance card necessary to get the SS card, she can probably get the number from her high school records or her doctor's office records.

You don't need an attorney. You just need to start hunting around for the information yourselves.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-17-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

We have found that it's easier to get this stuff on our own instead of trying to force the parents. It never ocurred to me at the time we were getting his social security card that we could have received his health insurance card.
Thanks for the heads up on the SS card. She has her permit and they'll accept that. Also about the HI card. Her Rx is due for a refill. She knows which pharmacy it's from so from there I can backtrack the company. Her mother doesn't even give her the bottle and took two days to get her the refill last month (zoloft, which is a bloodstream).

I'm also having her change her address to ours tomorrow:

1) to establish non-residence with the parents for tax purposes (so they can't claim her)

2) so the SS card and bank card don't wind up in the parents hands, which would never get to her if that happened

3) mail from the college that I have to assume will never be given to her.

What a bunch of idiots, but it sounds like they have company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting