Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
When my son was first diagnosed, we lived in ND, there were no therapists. He didn't talk, he didn't sleep, and all he did was scream and have the most severe tantrums. I spend 9 months, 6 hours a day trying to reach him (the other two he was at preschool). I taught him to speak, I taught him to sit in a chair and attend. What I did for my son was irreplaceable. He was diagnosed severely autistic. Last year he was upgraded from severely autistic and mentally retarded to moderately autistic and borderline cognitively delayed. I was told by three teachers and his psychologist that he would not have gotten that upgrade in diagnosis without me working my arse off to get him talking. I humbly share in his accomplishment. Without my work, he would be much worse off, like in an institution.
couldn't rep you again!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
When my son was first diagnosed, we lived in ND, there were no therapists. He didn't talk, he didn't sleep, and all he did was scream and have the most severe tantrums. I spend 9 months, 6 hours a day trying to reach him (the other two he was at preschool). I taught him to speak, I taught him to sit in a chair and attend. What I did for my son was irreplaceable. He was diagnosed severely autistic. Last year he was upgraded from severely autistic and mentally retarded to moderately autistic and borderline cognitively delayed. I was told by three teachers and his psychologist that he would not have gotten that upgrade in diagnosis without me working my arse off to get him talking. I humbly share in his accomplishment. Without my work, he would be much worse off, like in an institution.
Every once in a while I read something here that just stuns me. This post has me weepy with admiration for what you have done for your son.

I can't imagine what it took to accomplish this. I'm at a loss for words. (And, for me, that's rare.)

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Your working status is irrelevent. I don't know about the impact of fathers on sons. I know paternal involvement impacts daughters.

If I weren't here to teach this class, someone else would be. The job would get done so MY doing it does not matter except that it allows my dd to attend a higher quality school. Now, if there were a shortage of chemistry teachers then I'd matter. There isn't so I don't. If I quit this job today, there'd be a half dozen candidates vying for this job. I'm quite replaceable.
What a sad way to view your job. You are assuming that anyone qualified on paper to teach can do it equally well. That simply isn't true. I don't know how good teacher you are so I certainly can't say if you are replaceable or not. Teaching well is a gift that goes beyond simply imparting information. It's unfortunate you do not see it that way.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
If I weren't here to teach this class, someone else would be. The job would get done so MY doing it does not matter except that it allows my dd to attend a higher quality school. Now, if there were a shortage of chemistry teachers then I'd matter. There isn't so I don't. If I quit this job today, there'd be a half dozen candidates vying for this job. I'm quite replaceable.
That's a depressing way to look at it.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
So you LIKE teaching Chemistry, but teaching Chemistry doesn't matter. But wait, it does matter because you need the money, but as soon as you don't need the money it won't matter anymore.

So, I guess teaching isn't a very important job, since it doesn't matter. Or maybe, just maybe, YOU do not believe teaching is a respectable profession. No wonder you are constantly running into people who do not respect teachers. You don't respect them yourself.

Of course, you could find a line of work that DOES matter (in your eyes, whatever that might be) and also pays you the money you need.
My income matters. That my dd gets to school of choice into the district matters even more.

I didn't say that teaching isn't a respectable profession. Please don't put words in my mouth. That adds nothing to the debate. It, simply, doesn't matter if I teach this class or not beyond my the impact it has on my dd. The only way it matters if it's me teaching this class, or someone else (someone will get the job done) is if I'm better than the next teacher or there isn't another teacher for the job (you know the teaching shortage they were crying about 6 years ago that never materialized). I have no reason to believe I'm the best teacher out there for this job. In fact, I'm certain someone else could do this job as well as I do. So, yes, I don't matter in this job. I'm quite replaceable.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
That's a depressing way to look at it.
No, I'm lucky. I'm the one they chose to get to do this job and it comes with the perk of my dd being able to school of choice into a district I couldn't dream of sending my kids to otherwise. That I'm replaceable is irrelevent. I just am. Most of us are. It's just reality. When dd graduates, I'll go back into engineering. I still have an itch to scratch WRT doing something that matters with my life. Since there are plenty of unemployed teachers who would love this job and I have other options, I need to step aside. When I went into teaching, they were crying shortage of science teachers. I thought I was filling a need. I wasn't because there is no shortage.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Your working status is irrelevent. I don't know about the impact of fathers on sons. I know paternal involvement impacts daughters.

If I weren't here to teach this class, someone else would be. The job would get done so MY doing it does not matter except that it allows my dd to attend a higher quality school.
That is kind of similar to your idea that who does the parenting / child care doesn't matter, that a daycare can do it. People are not plug and play devices. Some do their business better than others. One can be a good teacher or a bad teacher or anything in between. A person can be a good parent / child care giver or a bad one. Good ones are going to yield good outcomes with their kids.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:

A really good teacher does matter. He or she has an affect on students and can inspire them to join that field. I will never forget my teacher in fifth and sixth grade (same teacher--it was a combined class), who encouraged me to write stories and poems. I remember more about writing for her than almost anything I learned there. That was really important to me, and I am a professional writer today.

A mother who loves her job is no different. She can encourage and support and inspire her children to do good things in life.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:

This brings up another good point. At a paying job, we're almost all replaceable. At the job of being mom, we are not. No one on the planet can replace a kid's mom. Not a nanny, not a housekeeper, no one. Yes, you can be a mom and work at the same time. But it helps explain why the majority of us here value our job as mom more than any other position we hold or have ever held.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
This brings up another good point. At a paying job, we're almost all replaceable. At the job of being mom, we are not. No one on the planet can replace a kid's mom. Not a nanny, not a housekeeper, no one. Yes, you can be a mom and work at the same time. But it helps explain why the majority of us here value our job as mom more than any other position we hold or have ever held.
Mom is not a job. It's a relationship. I'm a mom if I work or if I don't. I can be a great mom either way. I'm not debating that moms matter. What doesn't matter is whether or not mom SAH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting