Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
School aged kids should not need adults to entertain them. Kids that age should be able to behave themselves while the adults visit with one another. These are not toddlers.
I remember the "be seen not heard" attitude. Sit up straight fingers crossed eyes forward...blah blah blah.

I believe this is the reason I'm often a bad cup of coffee away from having a misanthropic day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedknee View Post
I remember the "be seen not heard" attitude. Sit up straight fingers crossed eyes forward...blah blah blah.

I believe this is the reason I'm often a bad cup of coffee away from having a misanthropic day

there is a lot of room between what you describe and what the OP described.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter119 View Post
Well the problem is that I don't think that my brother/sis in law think that the kids are behaving all that badly. In fact, I think they think they are actually behaving pretty well "considering that they are out of their element and wound up", as they put it.

This last visit, my brother approached me and said "What is John's problem? Why is he being such a jerk?" This was in response to my husband John telling the kids to stop running around the house, terrorizing the dogs, banging on the doors, etc.

So I have my husband pissed off because these kids are not behaving properly in our house.

I have my bro/sis in law pissed off b/c my husband is getting angry/in bad mood with their kids.

And I am hiding in a corner with high blood pressure.

I don't think my brother and sis-in-law "gets it".
sounds like they need to get to a hotel----i have asked guests to leave
when they have refused to follow house rules and if that upsets your brother so be it---feeling sorry for the kids-----how much worse will it be if they destroy something really expensive and your bro refuses to replace it???

Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedknee View Post

Well, this situation is completely different. No one is saying they should be "seen and not heard". people are simply stating the brats should have RESPECT for someone else's home.

I wonder what you would do if a relative brought their kids to your home and the kids tore it up, smeared food on your furniture, broke things, etc etc etc..... Gee, would you just smile and say "kids have to be kids"? I don't think so.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
when i was a kid my parents rule was simple: Dont make us regret bringing you.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
to the op id have no problem telling them to get their kids and not return until both their kids and themselves can show some common courtesy. id even hold the door open for them to let them know i wasnt playing.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
NOT NORMAL!!! No one needs to entertain these children! I can't believe one poster even suggested that!

kids who act like this either have - homes where they are not permitted to do anything so they go wild in other people's homes
OR Parents who let them go wild everywhere, because NOT PARENTING is easier than parenting.

I would tell them that the fun is over. If they can't behave the way young guests should behave, see them in a neutral place or at their home. Not yours.

You husband is right and you need to understand that this is his home. You should have respect for your own home and not permit this nonsense to continue.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times
Directed towards the OP..

I am sorry but I have to side with your husband on this one..
I am all for getting dirty to learn and fostering a healthy and exploratory learning experience..I.e. planting and getting filthy..doing a painting with chocolate pudding..finger painting with feet and allowing a child a learning experience however this is a question of ettiquette and this would not be tolerated anywhere let alone a preschool..

There must be order..and for safety reasons..as well as respect..
No running indoors at high speeds, save running for outside
no slamming doors this is just rude
no smearing food stuff everywhere, there is a designated place for eating (grazing) should be discouraged whenever possible
plus choking hazards can be a safety issue

Last but not least...no throwing anything at doors!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 18,360 times
I am so sympathetic to this woman's plight, because my brother and his kids are the same way. To be honest, I think that they are worse behaved. Relatives who have objected how my neices behave are told by my brother and sister-in-law that they are cruel and materialistic because they do not allow the kids to freely "explore" their home, and overly value the integrity of their material items. It should be noted that everything in my brother's house is in shambles.
Since my bro and sis-in-law take everything personally, whether I say it or other relatives, and they think that their kids should not follow other peoples' rules, I don't tell them anything. Instead, at the start of their visit, I tell my neices the house rules. I say that I am very particular, but that is how it it. When they start to misbehave, I don't rely on my brother and sister-in-law, because as I said, they have screwy views about "rules." Instead, I try to nicely discipline them. I also plot to have them stay as little time as possible in my house, and instead go to the playground/restaurant/arcade place.
All of this is easier said than done. It is very hard to deal with people who have weird views (I guess they would say alternative views) of children's behavior.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM

114 posts, read 231,965 times
the things you say that they do are things that my 2 year old does and he doesnt even do them that often, ( he is more of a big mouth has no inside voice) and i would not let that kind of stuff happen in my house or in anyone elses house, i know it would be hard to say something but if things are getting broke in your house then it is time to say something to your brother and SIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting