Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why have kids if you can't afford college for them?
Many parents consider children like livestock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
GeorgiaTransplant, I read everyone of his/her post on this topic and nothing offended me. I see both sides. This just boils down to what works for ones family.
I actually agree with that. Reread my own posts. But here's how it's goin' down:

TU: Why kick them out?

Others: Not normal in America.

TU: Don't you want them to be succesful.

Others: Hey, whatever, not the norm in America.

TU: Don't you love them?

Others: Not really normal, here in America.

TU: Orientals don't kick them out. Gets them ahead.

Others: Okay. Some don't, but it's really not what we do here.

TU: You should keep them so they get ahead.

Others: I see. Well, fine for you, but it's not standard.

TU: I think you should let them stay.

Rinse, and repeat.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What is your issue with this? Most American parents support their children (to the extent they are able to) - either financially, emotionally or both, through undergrad. Most American children are anxious to move on and achieve independence. Sometimes job offers arise in parts of the country that the parents aren't living so the child moves there to take the job. No one is saying you must do this. Do what works for you. Let everyone else do what works for them. I don't see the issue.
No issue. I just wanted to see what people would say. I wanted to get more knowledge.

Most american children want to move out and do their own thing but are they capable of doing it? Why not give them a headstart instead of them struggling to begin with.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
No issue. I just wanted to see what people would say. I wanted to get more knowledge.

Most american children want to move out and do their own thing but are they capable of doing it? Why not give them a headstart instead of them struggling to begin with.
Again...I take issue with your continual use of "most American...." You just can't generalize...some are ready to move out some aren't, some are giving assistance, some aren't, some are provided for through college or trade school and some arent'....One way or another people move ahead with their lives...How they do it is really up to each family.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
I said South and East Asian. South is not oriental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I actually agree with that. Reread my own posts. But here's how it's goin' down:

TU: Why kick them out?

Others: Not normal in America.

TU: Don't you want them to be succesful.

Others: Hey, whatever, not the norm in America.

TU: Don't you love them?

Others: Not really normal, here in America.

TU: Orientals don't kick them out. Gets them ahead.

Others: Okay. Some don't, but it's really not what we do here.

TU: You should keep them so they get ahead.

Others: I see. Well, fine for you, but it's not standard.

TU: I think you should let them stay.

Rinse, and repeat.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
No, not that $25K. I used that an example. If the 18 year old moves out with almost nothing in the bank they he/she will struggle for years to come unless he/she has a decent job and is good with budget 101.

Why should the parents make the kids struggle? In the Asian culture, kids take care of their parents instead of throwing them in retirement home.
I don't know anyone who kicked their kid out at 18 and I also don't know anyone who *threw* their parents into a retirement home.

There are certainly cases where parents need more care than the adult children can give and in that case, it helps to have other options. Retirement homes (not nursing homes) are often something older people choose because they do not want to live with their adult children. Some retirement homes are retirement communities with lots of retired folks living there so it is easier to make friends particularly if your spouse has died. Nursing homes, otoh, are a different kind of thing and meant for the elderly who cannot live independently. Some are great, some are awful. You do have to choose wisely. It is not always practical for elderly parents to live with adult children and their families.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Absolutely not!!!!

I would hate to be a burden of any kind on my kids. I never raised kids with the intention of getting free nursemaids from the deal. I do not believe it is their duty to change my diapers and spoon feed me or for them to give up careers, family life, or whatever to do that. Of course I should hope that's not what I ever would need but that's what nursing homes are for.

Just like my dad who is in his 80s doesn't want us taking care of him. Not that we could because he's too hard to catch.

American families aren't about dependence. That's why older Americans are out traveling around in their big RV's, or moving to warm climates. They generally don't want to be dependent on their children and helpless or burdens of any kind.

‪2011 Toyota Venza Commercial - Social Network‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
To save your money and become rich, you need to sacrifice some things in able to do that.
Why is becoming *rich* so important? Being comfortable is good, but you do not have to be rich to be comfortable.

Also, focusing only on money and *things* means you miss other important things including the loving relationships that you have with family and friends.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
There are children of immigrants who are born here speak other languages. There are Hispanics who were born here speak Spanish. USA is a multi-cultural society.
What has that got to do with the children becoming Americanized? I taught in a school where the population was predominantly children of Hispanic immigrants. The children spoke both English and Spanish and were very much Americanized after the first few months in this country.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM

63 posts, read 129,300 times
Gosh what an interesting topic...I, an American, had every desire to leave home for college and successfully graduate with a career as an accountant. I never thought twice, and accomplished that goal, rented a place and then bought my own first place less than two years later. I can not imagine depending on my parents for anything. Even though I know they love me and would help me in anyway possible if I asked, but I would never think to ask. I recently saw a quote on someone's t-shirt that said "Why do I need a job when I have a parent." I was honestly dumbfounded would never think that way. I have two young children and I thought it should have said "Why do I need a job when I am a parent." Being a parent is a job that takes most of my time, and luckily as a self-employed CPA I can handle it, but wow that is just not in my mind set. Being independent is just in my mindset and hopefully stays in our culture for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting