Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

My son start kindergarten in August. He just turned 5 years old in May. Many kids in our neighborhood takes the bus but I am really concerned letting my only child on a bus by himself. I talked to my ex baby sitter and she told me all her kids take the bus and have been sense they started school. She says it teaches them independence. Well, I am really worried and not comfortable at all with the idea. He is still so childish and trust everybody, maybe a little bit too much. If something would happen to him; I would never forgive myself.
How do you guys feel. Should I let go and let him ride the bus or should I drive him to school myself. I am available to drop him off at school every day if I choose to. Do you feel I am to over protective?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-26-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My son start kindergarten in August. He just turned 5 years old in May. Many kids in our neighborhood takes the bus but I am really concerned letting my only child on a bus by himself. I talked to my ex baby sitter and she told me all her kids take the bus and have been sense they started school. She says it teaches them independence. Well, I am really worried and not comfortable at all with the idea. He is still so childish and trustworthy. If something would happen to him; I would never forgive myself.
How do you guys feel. Should I let go and let him ride the bus or should I drive him to school myself. I am available to drop him off at school every day if I choose to. Do you feel I am to over protective?
Not at all. Drive him if you can. Mine didn't start riding the bus until 2nd grade. Even then, there was a lot that went on, on that bus ride that made me uncomfortable, but at least my child was 7/8 with a bit more maturity; not five.JMHO

BTW, the car rides back and forth from school are a really great opportunity for chats about what's happening in school. A lot "pops up" spontaneously during these trips. Good luck. Enjoy it. It all goes by so fast after kindergarten.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
Quote:
My son start kindergarten in August. He just turned 5 years old in May. Many kids in our neighborhood takes the bus
Many helpers to look after him
Quote:
but I am really concerned letting my only child on a bus by himself. I talked to my ex baby sitter and she told me all her kids take the bus and have been sense they started school. She says it teaches them independence.
There you go. Not so unique after all. And blow me down if last generation it was the norm.
Quote:

Well, I am really worried and not comfortable at all with the idea. He is still so childish and trustworthy.
Good to hear that he is trustworthy.
Quote:
If something would happen to him; I would never forgive myself.
I seem to recall recently seeing a report about kid that saved the bus by taking the wheel. Maybe your kid will drive the bus some day sooner than you think.
Quote:
Yes.

What actually is the perceived risk.
The bus will crash?
He will get on the wrong bus on the way home?
The bus driver will kidnap him?
Someone will comandeer the bus and drive it at 50mph?
He will be having such fun on the way home that he will forget to get off?
He will learn some dirty jokes ?

My bet is that it is more dangerous for the kid to wander around in the car park waiting to get picked up while a stack of tired distracted parents in their SUVs are cruising looking for their kids.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Many helpers to look after him

There you go. Not so unique after all. And blow me down if last generation it was the norm.

Good to hear that he is trusting

I seem to recall recently seeing a report about kid that saved the bus by taking the wheel. Maybe your kid will drive the bus some day sooner than you think.

Yes.

What actually is the perceived risk.
The bus will crash?
He will get on the wrong bus on the way home?
The bus driver will kidnap him?
Someone will comandeer the bus and drive it at 50mph?
He will be having such fun on the way home that he will forget to get off?
He will learn some dirty jokes ?

My bet is that it is more dangerous for the kid to wander around in the car park with a stack of tired distracted parents in their SUVs.

I am scared to death that he would be kidnapped. I hear it on the news. Just a while ago a kid was kidnapped and murdered on the way to school. My kid would be the type who would walk up to a stranger that offered candy. That is what I mean by trustworthy. If that is the right word for it. I know it is not likely but it still scares me.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-26-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,608 times
Quote:
I am scared to death that he would be kidnapped. I hear it on the news. Just a while ago a kid was kidnapped and murdered on the way to school. My kid would be the type who would walk up to a stranger that offered candy. That is what I mean by trustworthy. If that is the right word for it.
I think you mean, "trusting."

Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,633 times
Trust your gut. It usually isn't wrong.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I think you mean, "trusting."

Thanks I am still having difficulties in English. I appreciate your help.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
So it isn't the bus itself you are worried about- because no kidnapping would happen there-, but the walking to the bus stop and waiting? Two solutions: walk him and wait with him (I see several moms doing that here), or if there are other kindergarteners in the area, start a "buddy system" where two or more kids always go together.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:02 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
My son start kindergarten in August. He just turned 5 years old in May. Many kids in our neighborhood takes the bus but I am really concerned letting my only child on a bus by himself. I talked to my ex baby sitter and she told me all her kids take the bus and have been sense they started school. She says it teaches them independence. Well, I am really worried and not comfortable at all with the idea. He is still so childish and trust everybody, maybe a little bit too much. If something would happen to him; I would never forgive myself.
I can only share my life experience here.

Born 11/02/1959, I was 4 1/2 when I started kindergarten. I walked to kindergarten by myself each day.

Shortly after I turned 5, I was struck by a moving vehicle when I was pushed into traffic. I had incurred skull injuries and was blind for weeks.

I question each day if my parents ever loved me.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
Around here the kinder parents wait at the bus stop with their children and are there in the afternoons when the bus drops them off.
My oldest is starting kindergarten this year too, but I have to be at work too early for her to ride the bus. So I will be dropping her off at daycare, and she will ride their bus to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting