Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times

Advertisements

Just DO NOT give back the rabbit if they do come ask.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
It sounds to me like she's got some mental problem and I wouldn't want my kids in her house.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,149 times
As I read this it reminds me of international diplomatic negotiations.

Here we have the kids running messages and providing intel.

I reckon you should talk to the neighbour directly yourself.

Once this is resolved then you should be sorted to advise on middle east peace.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
DON'T give the rabbit back to them.....no matter what.

If you hadn't found the rabbit and taken it in, it would probably be dead by now.....and not an easy death either.

The people that put the rabbit out? I wouldn't want my kid hanging around people that would do such a horrendous thing anyway. Breaking off relations with those people is a plus for your son, IMO.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:00 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It sounds to me like she's got some mental problem and I wouldn't want my kids in her house.
That is what I was thinking. She sounds really weird.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM

452 posts, read 898,214 times
I would suggest letting it go and see if she actually comes over and talks to you about taking the rabbit. If that time comes let her know that you have already contacted the humane shelter and they are trying to find a home for Fluffy and you are just holding onto the bunny until then. After that ask if Billy Bob can come over and play at your house with your son. If you do decide to keep Fluffy-this Christmas put a bow on her and put under the tree and let the kids know that Santa granted Fluffy's wish to stay with your family and no one can ever fight Santa.......Better not, even your neighbor-you don't want to be put on the naughty list.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,401 times
It was wrong of your neighbors to turn the rabbit loose. We had a rabbit who got out of its pen and the neighbors kid caught it and they refused to let us have it back, had to call the law. Just keep it, your son will love it. My only question is..How does your son having Aspergers come into play?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Yeah i agree if the neighbor does come over let her know that animal control is on its way and when animal control does go over there and gets a whiff they will be in for an investigation on the way that thier dogs are treated as well . Tell animal control that she might possibly have mental problems as well . I venture to say that after you tell them animal control has been called they will not bother you anymore . Keep the rabbit she is probably better off with you guys anyways .

Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Domestic rabbits are not capable of surviving in the wild and what she did is exactly the same as abandoning any other pet. In my state abandoning a pet is a CRIME and you may want to remind your neighbor of the fact she committed a crime if she complains about the fact you took the animal in.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
So things are a bit awkward right now (mainly for the children). Let me try to break it down the best way possible.

So one of a neighbor's son's had a pet rabbit. According to her kids they've had it for two years. My son tells me one day after going to play at their house that they told him they let it loose in the forest behind our houses. I told my son how awful that was if it was true because it was a pet and you shouldn't dispose of them in such a way. Later that evening my son runs inside to tell me they found the rabbit outside near the playground. It's a beautiful albino California rabbit that is completely docile and tame. I didn't have to heart to leave her outside to die so I brought her in. We are now taking care of her until the rescue I'm working with can find a permanent home for her. (but if she grows onto my husband we might keep her

I've been told by her kids she was furious that I took the rabbit in and wanted her husband to come to our house to take her back outside to let her free. Which is surprising as she has two chiuaua's she rescued and dotes on. I honestly don't care for this woman so whatever, but she's not allowing her kids to come into our home to play now and wants to be petty. How do you explain such a character to your children? My son (12) has Asperger's and always sees the good in people.

I rarely allow my son to go into other people's homes to play, preferring to have everyone over here. Thankfully he doesn't care to go into their house because he says it smells of dog poo. Apparently she doesn't clean up much inside and he can only stand to stay there about 20 min and comes home anyways.

Just ignore them.
If their house smells like dog sh*t, sounds like they probably have issues and are not the people you want to associate with anyway. Yes, we all like to see and promote the good in people, but selecting good friends is also a life skill. (yes, I know their child is not the problem, but the family kind of goes part and parcel with the child)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting