Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times

Advertisements

Have you talked to any of the other moms? Are you the only one getting all worked up about this? If you don't want your dd to participate, simply toss out the letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Getting so worked up over stickers and books, looking to send little girls to federal prison, contacting principals...

How do you people cope with the real stuff of life?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM

133 posts, read 183,145 times
Right... I don't get the scam part either. It's not one kid at the top getting all the stickers. If your daughter were to send one person a pack of stickers and re-send the letter to six other kids, she'd conceivably get back six packs of stickers. So she's actually GAINING something here. Assuming she likes stickers. I was a sticker addict when I was that age. I would've loved this! But seriously, it's not a scam or an elaborate scheme for one person to make all the profit....especially if your daughter's six friends participate too.

It's just a fun game. Relax!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
Right... I don't get the scam part either. It's not one kid at the top getting all the stickers. If your daughter were to send one person a pack of stickers and re-send the letter to six other kids, she'd conceivably get back six packs of stickers. So she's actually GAINING something here. Assuming she likes stickers. I was a sticker addict when I was that age. I would've loved this! But seriously, it's not a scam or an elaborate scheme for one person to make all the profit....especially if your daughter's six friends participate too.

It's just a fun game. Relax!
From the OP's letter

"Welcome to the Sticker Club!". So now, apparently, she has to send a package of stickers to the kid who sent her the letter and copy the letter and re-send it to six other friends within six days.

It is basically a scam, just like any other chain letter.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Eh....she's 8 not 5. I'd probably have a conversation with my daughter, explain the risks to her (sending stickers out and not getting any back) etc and let her make the decision. She may get stickers back, she may not. For a couple of bucks invested it could either be fun or a learning experience...

Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
From the OP's letter

"Welcome to the Sticker Club!". So now, apparently, she has to send a package of stickers to the kid who sent her the letter and copy the letter and re-send it to six other friends within six days.

It is basically a scam, just like any other chain letter.
Still not seeing a scam. She sends *1* pack of stickers, to the person who gave her the letter, she could potentially get *6* packs of stickers back. Unless the letter says to mail the stickers to only the original sender, which makes no sense, and if it DOES say that, I'm guessing that's a mistake on the sender's part. Even in my little recipe email chain letter, you had to move your name to the top of the list, delete the person before you, etc. I can see how that could get messed up.

I would bet the letter says to copy the letter, after crossing out the original sender's name and address and substituting her own, and re-send it to six friends. And again, if it doesn't, I'd think it was a mistake, not some kid's grab for sticker glory.

Unless the OP comes back to the thread to clarify, who knows?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Usually, these things say - send the pack to the first person on the list, then add your name to the bottom and send the letter to 6 more people.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Unless the OP comes back to the thread to clarify, who knows?
I hope she does. I'd love to know why this is such a big deal the principal would have to be involved.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM

271 posts, read 988,418 times
I actually find it amusing (& somewhat troubling) that some don't understand how pyramid scams work. You should take a look at:

The Progressive Economics Forum » Pyramid schemes for kids

This pretty much explains it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
I actually find it amusing (& somewhat troubling) that some don't understand how pyramid scams work. You should take a look at:

The Progressive Economics Forum » Pyramid schemes for kids

This pretty much explains it.
I understand how they work. (Pyramid schemes were huge in the 70's.) I don't understand why you should involve the principal.

Letter comes. You don't like it. You tear it up. End of saga. What am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting