Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

The trap some people fall into when choosing a name is they are visualizing a cute little baby, and often don't picture the 20 year-old.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
You have to be kidding!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Husbands love to make stuff up about naming kids crazy names, just to pull your chain. Mine wanted to name our kids after Halll of Fame Baseball Players, names only ending in "Y", after the "Seven Dwarves"...I don't think he is serious...he just likes the discussion. Huckleberry, won't even go there....and kids would not be calling him "HUCK" for short...it would begin with an "F"...taught school for too many years to not know that one...

Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
I think this name would be a burden to your child. In addition to the full name of Huckleberry sounding a little comical to modern ears, I worry that the shorter "Huck" will cause a lot of teasing because it rhymes with "F**k." I would not do this to your child. It can become burdensome to have the class giggle or people stop and hide a smile or stumble every time they hear your name. Additionally, think about how this name is going to look on a resume one day. It's one thing to name your child "Michael Edward Jones" and have him decide later he wants to be known by "Thrash" or some punk-rocker nickname. He could grow out of it and still have a respectable name to put on his resume. To have your child as a 24-year-old try to apply for that prestigious internship and have anyone who interviews him chuckling at his resume before he even walks in the door? That would do quite the disservice.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Please listen to the posters saying NO. Names have importance.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Have your DH use the name Huckleberry for a while, not Huck, Huckleberry, tell him that everyone new he meets he has to tell them his name is Huckleberry...see if he still wants to use that name after a month of doing that.

I feel sorry for your kid if you saddle him with that name...while it is cute to YOU, the rest of the world will think it is stupid.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Husbands love to make stuff up about naming kids crazy names, just to pull your chain.
My father did this. He told me to name my son Thor, the God of Thunder, because he feared he would become a sissy due to being raised by a single mother.

I raised the point that he might end up being a little scrawny guy, and said in a high pitched voice, "Hi, my name is Thor!"

Nevermind my son is now over six feet tall and has a deep voice. It would have still been a silly name.

I met a guy whose name is Hercules. Big hulk of a guy. When he introduced himself, I looked way up at him and said, "It's a darn good thing you grew into that name!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Have your DH use the name Huckleberry for a while, not Huck, Huckleberry, tell him that everyone new he meets he has to tell them his name is Huckleberry...see if he still wants to use that name after a month of doing that.
This is a brilliant idea!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I feel sorry for your kid if you saddle him with that name...while it is cute to YOU, the rest of the world will think it is stupid.
Now there is an excellent suggestion!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *lorie View Post
My husband and I have this ongoing argument about naming our (future) baby boy Huckleberry. He thinks it would be cool that we get to call him Huck. I think the full name is unusual, and our son might get teased a lot growing up. I thought he was joking at first but I realized that he's pretty serious about it. What do you think of the name?

Then just name him Huck.
I think your husband needs to put some serious thought into your son going to school with a retarded name like that. Does he think for one minute that no kid is going to torment him.

This is really a no brainer.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM

147 posts, read 213,605 times
You guys gave me a good laugh . I think that there's a very good chance that the boy will be teased/bullied because of the name. And I would hate that because it's something we could have prevented. I grew up with a funny last name and I've gotten jokes, smirk, etc. Even teachers would make a joke about it during the roll call first day of school. Also, my dad gave me a very old-fashioned first name. I don't know how many times I asked my parents, "Why?" "Why did you give me this name?" I understood that the last name could not be helped, but why the first name. Anyway, I got over it when I got older but I have all the fun memories hehehe.

The name on a resume is also a good point. He will be judged before people meet him. I could just imagine a scenario going like, "So..your name is Huckleberry (smirk) kkkk (we have a long, hard-to-pronounce last name)...how do you say your last name?" Great

I will not give in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting