Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,250 times

Advertisements

Get a new doc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Take him to a neurologist. Maybe he is having migraines or something else is going on. Good luck.
This. My 13yo has had migraines for several years...come upon him suddenly, usually end with a puking spell. We control it to a certain extent with Maxalt medication.

They have lessened significantly over the last 2 years, but he still gets them from time to time. With him, the key is to keep him hydrated and nibbling on something (snacks) so his stomach isn't empty for hours at a time.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Lots of school, I want to say about 20 days last year, and that's only because he's pushed through it on the other 40 days that he's complained about it. No, he does not become ill. He just lays around the house (literally, he was just laying across the coffee table before I sent him to the store), does the school work that he's missing. No TV, except for the PBS or Disney that's already on for his little sister. I am strickt on that, and no playing after school either. I do let him do whatever sport he is currently doing if he can push through it, but its usually a feeble attempt. He would, however, not have a problem whatsoever with missing it.
A few questions: You don't let him play after school? Ever? And PBS are the only channels on TV you let him watch? Or is that just when he's sick? I'm a little confused.

Does he get a chance to just hang with his friends or are organized sports the only outside activity he gets? Who chooses his sports?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A few questions: You don't let him play after school? Ever? And PBS are the only channels on TV you let him watch? Or is that just when he's sick? I'm a little confused.

Does he get a chance to just hang with his friends or are organized sports the only outside activity he gets? Who chooses his sports?
No, nobody is locking anyone inside without friends or activities, and restricting TV viewing to PBS at 11 years old on an everyday basis..... when he's home "sick" from school, his choices are restricted (ie, he can't watch TV, it just HAPPENS to be on sometimes for my 3 year old).

Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No, nobody is locking anyone inside without friends or activities, and restricting TV viewing to PBS at 11 years old on an everyday basis..... when he's home "sick" from school, his choices are restricted (ie, he can't watch TV, it just HAPPENS to be on sometimes for my 3 year old).
Ok. I just wasn't clear on that which is why I asked. Sorry you had to slap yourself on the noggin.

But I will ask one more question since you've already slapped yourself (and what have we got to loose?): How much is on his plate? Does he have a lot of scheduled activities? How much time does he have to just laze around the house and do absolutely nothing?

Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,374,197 times
other than school, he does one sport at a time, but continuous. That is usually a big commitment, thought.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
other than school, he does one sport at a time, but continuous. That is usually a big commitment, thought.
My two cents: I'd look into the anxeity before I drug him to a whole lot of other doctor appointments. (Mainly because if he does have anxeity it is going to get worse if he thinks there's something wrong with him or if he has to sit in waiting room after waiting room.)

Is he a perfectionist? More important: Does he think you or his father expect him to be perfect? (Even if you don't. Does he think that?)

One other thing: Do not think he'll tell you everything. No matter how close you may be. If he suffers from anxeity he'll hold it all in. He won't want YOU to worry so he won't tell you that life is bothering him.

Did you say he say a psychiatrist and he didn't open up? Try another therapist. I feel for you. I'm sure you are very worried.

Just for kicks: Ask him if he'd like to drop the sports for a while. See what his reaction is. If there's any feeling of "It would be a relief to" it might be a big clue. Some kids with anxeity don't do well with being over-scheduled. (Which is why I brought up the "just doing nothing" question".)

Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Just wanted to add that food allergies and intolerances can present themselves as mood and behavior problems including anxiety.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,855,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My two cents: I'd look into the anxeity before I drug him to a whole lot of other doctor appointments. (Mainly because if he does have anxeity it is going to get worse if he thinks there's something wrong with him or if he has to sit in waiting room after waiting room.)

Is he a perfectionist? More important: Does he think you or his father expect him to be perfect? (Even if you don't. Does he think that?)

One other thing: Do not think he'll tell you everything. No matter how close you may be. If he suffers from anxeity he'll hold it all in. He won't want YOU to worry so he won't tell you that life is bothering him.

Did you say he say a psychiatrist and he didn't open up? Try another therapist. I feel for you. I'm sure you are very worried.

Just for kicks: Ask him if he'd like to drop the sports for a while. See what his reaction is. If there's any feeling of "It would be a relief to" it might be a big clue. Some kids with anxeity don't do well with being over-scheduled. (Which is why I brought up the "just doing nothing" question".)
I think this is a really good point. Even today at 31, when I get home from work I REALLY don't want to do ANYTHING else. I want to relax, do some reading, some writing- I don't want to be dragged off to even 'fun' things. Some kids benefit from sports and organized activities, and some really just need downtime. For them, school is work- if the sport feels like work too because of the time and commitment, taking a break from school (even if it means no good TV) is still going to feel like a mini vacation.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 PM

162 posts, read 886,667 times
Quote:
My 11 year old son consistently complains about stomach aches, headaches, neauseau. His doctor doesnt' seem to concerned. In my opinion, he does suffer from anxiety, as his father does as well in social situations. But when I discuss his feelings with him, he doesn't let on to any emotional problems. His only reaction is probably frustration at my constanct questionsn of .... did something happen on the bus, at school, at recess, lunch, gym, do you have a test, quiz, have to read outloud, etc, etc. I even get annoyed at how many times I'm asking these same questions, its always, no, no , no. I really think its not something that is happening, I think its something either internal (general anxiety) or am worried about something physical. He is active, athletic, and bright. He usually misses a lot of school because of this in the last few years. He has missed one practice for the first time last week, in all his years of doing sports. He has complained about headaches during sports, but I do think that's because of dehydration/heat and we just made sure we made him drink more, but he played through it.

Any suggestions at what tests I should be asking for?
Maybe he needs glasses. My son gets horrible headaches when his eyes change and needs a new prescription. He is the same age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting