Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't have a GP.
Should I just go to the ER or an emergent care?
My dear - I am not going to say one way or the other because I'm not there to really see how bad you are. My guess is that you should wait until tomorrow and find a doctor. Saying you don't have one is not an excuse.

A doctor visit will be far less cheaper than running to an emergency room. My guess is, if you are able to be on a chat forum, you probably aren't bad enough to run to the emergency.

You really need to find a regular doctor to see. Being as sick as often as you are at your age is not normal. You really need to find out what's going on.

Try to stay hydrated. That's the biggest thing.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM

One more bit and then I'm off to bed -

txt - get some Emergen C for in the future and take some each day. Maybe it will help boost your immune system. You're working in a very germy environment. It can't hurt.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
google med express. It can probably wait until tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My dear - I am not going to say one way or the other because I'm not there to really see how bad you are. My guess is that you should wait until tomorrow and find a doctor. Saying you don't have one is not an excuse.

A doctor visit will be far less cheaper than running to an emergency room. My guess is, if you are able to be on a chat forum, you probably aren't bad enough to run to the emergency.

You really need to find a regular doctor to see. Being as sick as often as you are at your age is not normal. You really need to find out what's going on.

Try to stay hydrated. That's the biggest thing.
My immune system is trashed.
And im laying in bed trying to breathe.
Im actually talking to a friend who's mom is a nurse.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
google med express. It can probably wait until tomorrow.
I have work tomorrow.
Although they said itll be excused because I've been sick all week, already sent home once and called out once they told me to call out tomorrow if I am still not feeling well because they don't want me there getting people sick.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I have work tomorrow.
Although they said itll be excused because I've been sick all week, already sent home once and called out once they told me to call out tomorrow if I am still not feeling well because they don't want me there getting people sick.
You can't work tomorrow! you are sick! Call in sick and go to the doctor. That is the quickest way to get well and get back to work.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Good morning. I don't check this thread very often but I'm up way too early today.

jkoop, On high altitude baking I've found a few tricks over the years. Cakes always make me a little nervous but I've found this to work pretty well. Modify the recipe by reducing the leavening by half and make sure you whip those eggs into the batter well as that will help keep the cake from falling. For cookies, reduce the sugar and increase the flour. Depending on how big the batch is I do this by just a TBS all the way up to 1/4 cup. This works every time. I have never had good luck with bread. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Txt, it does sound like you have strep, quit messing around around and go to the Dr.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Morning all!

I'm not much of a baker, so I never worried about baking at high altitude.... but one thing I did find difficult was rice. I guess water doesn't boil as vigorously or something? I was at nearly 8000 feet though. Also, it was funny if we ever bought anything up from "down the hill" - chip bags would blow up like balloons, and shampoo caps would pop open and explode shampoo everywhere.

It's very good for your lungs, though. I also heard people suffer from cancer less, because tumors need oxygen to grow. Don't know how fully accurate that one is.

txt - I used to get Strep throat and white stuff in there is definitely it. You need to get some antibiotics because you can get a very very high fever. You need to go now because soon you won't physically be able to get yourself there.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
Morning, folks!

All of these considerations with high altitude baking....of all the places I've lived, I've never been high altitude. It sounds very confusing!

Just dropped LSE off at school again - minimal tearfulness this morning, so fingers crossed. Arg, and I thought getting through the first day was going to be the challenge!!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Morning all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
jkoop, On high altitude baking I've found a few tricks over the years. Cakes always make me a little nervous but I've found this to work pretty well. Modify the recipe by reducing the leavening by half and make sure you whip those eggs into the batter well as that will help keep the cake from falling. For cookies, reduce the sugar and increase the flour. Depending on how big the batch is I do this by just a TBS all the way up to 1/4 cup. This works every time. I have never had good luck with bread. I haven't figured that one out yet.
I'll give that a try for the cake. I actually have a high altitude cookbook which I guess I should use more often.

I have never had to change anything for bread though. I've been doing it for a couple of years now with no issues. So I'm guessing I was in too much of a hurry. And possibly the weather, as dumb as that sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not much of a baker, so I never worried about baking at high altitude.... but one thing I did find difficult was rice. I guess water doesn't boil as vigorously or something? I was at nearly 8000 feet though. Also, it was funny if we ever bought anything up from "down the hill" - chip bags would blow up like balloons, and shampoo caps would pop open and explode shampoo everywhere.
What boils at a lower temp at high altitude. So it takes longer for things like rice, pasta, etc. to cook and you generally have to add more water as well.

Ziplocks are always a good thing when going anywhere for us (except up I guess....).!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting