Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Last time I checked on this form (on which occasion I got mauled over how ridiculous I am to think any college worth anything will accept my kids for "mere" top academics and no amazing accomplishments on extra-curriculars) ...this is not the conclusion that was drawn.

So let's make up our minds.
Honestly, there are amazing swimmers in my son's group that will get offers from top colleges.

There are so-so swimmers that will get offers from some D2/D3 colleges.

There are some that will not swim at all in college.

The only thing I was told in regard to extra-curriculars is that is does not matter what you do - only that you pick SOMETHING and stick with it for 4 years. Sports, Band, Journalism . . . just about anything . . unless you are planning on some kind of sports scholarship.

But what do I know? I haven't sent one to college yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

The only thing I was told in regard to extra-curriculars is that is does not matter what you do - only that you pick SOMETHING and stick with it for 4 years. Sports, Band, Journalism . . . just about anything . . unless you are planning on some kind of sports scholarship.
Oh, thanks. Interesting piece of info.
Would piano count?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
we use the rec centers for activities. At most one activity per season at $60 for 3 months. We did 3 sessions last year for a grand total of $180. We haven't done anything since the beginning of summer. We sign dd up for these activities because she thinks they are fun, not because we're trying to get her into Harvard.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
DD is in cheerleading and it costs $7 per week. There are 2 seasons per year that last 3 months each. We had to buy the uniform, but got it big and can use the same uniform as long as she continues with this group.
So, since the uniform is bought, we pay $168 per year for cheerleading.

She is also in Oddysey of the Mind and have paid $20 so far for that.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Oh, thanks. Interesting piece of info.
Would piano count?
I would certainly think so.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
we use the rec centers for activities. At most one activity per season at $60 for 3 months. We did 3 sessions last year for a grand total of $180. We haven't done anything since the beginning of summer. We sign dd up for these activities because she thinks they are fun, not because we're trying to get her into Harvard.
We do the same; but the one close to us is in an area that we are barely outside of. The one we officially belong to has centers too far away from us.
The sessions at this rec center are 2 months, not 3.

Mine could easily do without any type of organized "fun".
If left to their own devices, they'd rather play freely at all times.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
I think it depends on the activity.

For youth football we pay $300 for the season. The season runs from July through October (Nov if there are playoffs). So about $100 per month. The league provides all the equipment except for cleats. We sometimes buy optional equipment but nothing that we buy is absolutely required.

For youth lacrosse we also pay around $300 for the season. The season runs from Jan-April. Unlike football parents must supply ALL equipment for lacrosse. It probably costs around $300 to equip a child for lacrosse the first year but the most expensive items (helmet, stick, shoulder pads) can be used for quite a few years.

School sports do not cost money, but the kids are required to raise funds.

For marching band the amount of money we spend varies. The band fees are around $200. They need a duffel bag, dinkels (shoes), a nylon sweat suit and a band shirt. They can re-use items from the previous year if they still fit. We also pay for percussion camp and band camp (around $300 for both). Percussion camp is half a day for a week and band camp is all day for a week. Parents have the option of paying an additional $75 for 2 meals a day during band camp. Every parent I know pays for food (she feeds them well for $75. In total band wind up costing $600 per year plus whatever stuff they can't reuse from the previous year. There are no extra fees (except some spending money when they go to competitions). Private piano lessons cost around $50 per week.

Travel lacrosse is expensive. Unlike the youth leagues travel lacrosse is for profit. It costs around $25 to try out for the team. We paid $695 in team fees for the team my son was on last summer. Some summer teams cost as much as $900. The summer season was 2 months long and we had 4 tournaments. 2 were local and the other 2 were out of town requiring hotel rooms and restaurant meals. One was in Baltimore requiring airline tickets, the other was a 5 hour drive from here. The teams usually get group rates for the hotel rooms.

This fall we have fall travel lacrosse. That is only one out of town tournament. The other tournaments are local. Fees are $395 for the fall season (2 months).

We have also sent our kids to camps. Our kids have attended football, wrestling, lacrosse and music camps. Overnight camps, held on university campuses tend to run around $600 per week. Some are a little more, some a little less. This summer the camp my youngest wanted to attend was three weeks and we let him go as it is a well regarded camp.

The oldest did not attend overnight camps this summer as we were on college tours. He did attend a bunch of recruiting camps for football this summer. Most of those were on college campuses and doubled as college visits. While he was there for camp we took tours, met the coaches, admissions people, etc....Those camps were around $100 per day.

Overall we try not to spend a fortune on activities unless they are activities that the kids really love. When they find something they love we allow them to pursue it but we start out slowly. Our son played the very affordable youth lacrosse before we allowed him to try out for a travel team. He played with an inexpensive stick before we allowed him to upgrade to a more expensive model.

I don't think your kids have to do tons of stuff to be happy. My kids are into sports but each one of them is only allowed to do one sport per season. My oldest is football, wrestling, lacrosse. The seasons don't overlap. My middle son takes piano lessons all year but he only does marching band in fall and school lacrosse (minimal expense) in spring. My youngest does football, wrestling, lacrosse. Fall lacrosse does have some overlap with football but the travel team has a program for football players that allows football players to join after their football season is done so that works for us.

Wrestling is minimal expense. Shoes cost around $45. Kids have to fundraise for school wrestling team and need a few bucks to spend at tournaments.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Last time I checked on this form (on which occasion I got mauled over how ridiculous I am to think any college worth anything will accept my kids for "mere" top academics and no amazing accomplishments on extra-curriculars) ...this is not the conclusion that was drawn.

I have made up my mind about the following:

Yes, colleges like to see some extra-curriculars and involvement in things outside of school in addition to excellent academics. And no, colleges don't care what your kid did/accomplished prior to HS.

What I haven't made up my mind about is why you think a discussion on college admissions has to do with how much people pay for activities for young kids? Clearly there is an agenda here to which I am not privy.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:

//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...-leash-11.html

Pag. 11 and up.

Colleges don't care what you do when you're 5. There is no reason to make a 5 year old crazy with a million activities unless he enjoys them.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Mine could easily do without any type of organized "fun".
If left to their own devices, they'd rather play freely at all times.

My dd has a ton of free time, probably more then most kids her age since she is homeschooled. She enjoys her free time but also likes to take a class from time to time. Why do you feel obligated to sign your kids up for activities when they would rather use their free time for play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting