Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times

Advertisements

^^ Nope, I just bought my popcorn from my 7yo nephew. He called me up two day ago and give me the sales pitch, complete with I just scanned the form and email'ed it to you can see what I have.
I'm in Atlanta, he's in NH, But will be visiting over the holiday, and will pick it up then,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 AM

93 posts, read 225,941 times
Tell her you are buying from local kids, because it helps kids in your local area and that the scouts in the local area are more receptive to donations, which is what you want to make since you don't want the cookies. Which you made clear last year.

I only buy from either Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts if the scout asks me to buy. I never buy from the parent, especially the ones that bring it into work. And I tell that to the parent, too. This is something the scout is suppose to be doing.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
This woman is nuts.

Tell her you will support your local girl scouts and that it is only fair. Her daughter can be supported by the locals there, as well.

No need to tell her how tacky and ridiculous she is being.
Telling her your family is off of processed foods may also help.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Why is she selling GS cookies now?? I though everyone started at the beginning of the year. Maybe some regions are different. I do agree that she is being a little pushy, but I'm also sensing you don't want to just say no (which you obviously have every right to!)

There is an option to buy them for the troops, right on the order form. You just pay for the cookies, Girl Scouts send them directly. This woman won't even get the cookies to try to send them to you. Let her know that you absolutely don't want cookies at your house, but would love to send them to our troops overseas.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
PS anyone want Boy Scout popcorn? LOL
Off-topic - but I would, if they had anything affordable! My nephew's selling, we can order it online - but there's nothing I want under $40!! I sent the company an email last year, suggesting they package things differently, and offer smaller packs for $15 or $20. They'd sell more, for sure! It seems like with our economy, especially, they'd want to make sure more people could afford to buy something.

Back to the thread topic - A polite, "No, thank you, I'm not interested" will work. You don't owe her an explanation at all.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Well this is what I use when I dont want to buy anything , "Oh Im sorry the husband says we have to put a cap on spending this year and really am sorry but you know when finances are tight some things have to go " I usually dont get a response after that .

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM

645 posts, read 988,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have a friend, okay...more of an acquaintance that has her daughters in Girl Scouts. This woman lives a couple states away and sent me a message asking if I would buy cookies. I hate when parents bug me to buy that kind of stuff. I understand its a hassle and when my son was in Boy Scouts and other groups I had to sell the stuff too. Most of the time, I just bought the minimum or donated the money because I hate the hassle of asking people. So I told my friend that I wasn't really interested in the cookies (as I had been nailed twice already at the local Lowe's) but told her that I would send a check and she could buy the cookies and have them for herself and family. I just didn't want more junk in the house and truly didn't see the point in having them shipped to me on top of it.

She INSISTED that she mail them to me. I told her no, just take my check and keep the cookies. I bought 30 dollars worth and forgot about it. My good deed was done I thought. About a month or so later I get a package in the mail. Yep, its the damn cookies. 30 freaking dollars worth. So I called her up and thanked her but letting her know it wasn't necessary. She said she appreciated it and her daughter was the highest seller in her troop. Then she goes on to say that another friend that lives out of state saw how much she spent on shipping and offered to pay for that as well. She kept saying it and I know it was a huge hint for me to chip in for the shipping which ended up being almost 8 dollars. When I got the box and saw the postage on it, I did think about sending her another check but it annoyed me. I told her not to send them and she did anyway. She brought it up one more time during another conversation. I cut her short and refused to deal with it. Overall she is an okay person, I don't see the friendship going beyond acquaintances though.

Well its that time of year again. I just got a message from her asking if Im interested in some cookies. She also threw in that she would be charging people for shipping this year since last year she spent too much on it. I haven't replied yet and its only been 2 days. I just got a second reminder today about the damn cookies. Sheesh...pushy. Her daughter seems like a nice kid and I don't mind helping her out but I didn't find the first experience all that great. I got a real problem with people trying to make me feel like a cheap arse when in fact, i was quite generous to begin with. How would you respond to her second request? I don't want to be nasty but I feel like anytime she mentions these cookies its a jab.

falling, You are a good person - It shows in your post. I have no doubt in my mind that you are generous, thoughtful and kind.

Having said that, there is no law or rule that states generous, thoughtful and kind people must always respond in the affirmative every time they are asked to contribute to a cause. It is not wrong to give a simple and unequivocal "no thanks" to these requests. You do not owe anyone an explanation. And please, know that the only one that is making you feel like you are being cheap is you. There's absolutely no reason for you to feel that way - EVER.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i got lots of friends who eat cookies.
(cookie monsters)
when i get super irritated with the presence of children i take it as a red flag for myself.
time to relax and work on kindness huck. life is short smell the flowers.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Oh gods....there is one of those in every group. A project for the 'KIDS' that some parents get more involved in and win for them by doing all the work.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts councils across the Country do there drives at different times thru out the year. The companies who make the cookies/popcorn make the stuff year round and need a even production thru the full year.
I just looked at the popcorn flyer $10-17 (and $40 multi packs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting