Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, I agree 10,000%, and as I previously said, I'm a strong supporter of meningitis immunization. It's actually one vaccine we don't get too many parents rejecting for philosophical reasons.
That's an interesting observation isn't it. Flu is more deadly statistically speaking, and the morbidity and mortality from pertussis and measles is WAY higher than meningitis due to the sheer numbers of infection, and yet people are more afraid of meningitis and will accept that vaccine. Defies logic, and probably also demonstrates where educating the general public has failed.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 10-16-2011 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's an interesting observation isn't it. Flu is more deadly statistically speaking, and the morbidity and mortality from pertussis and measles is WAY higher than meningitis due to the sheer numbers of infection, and yet people are more afraid of meningitis and will acecept that vaccine. Defies logic, and probably also demonstrates where educating the general public has failed.
Good points. People are also more accepting of polio vaccine. While polio is always "just an airplane ride away", the chances of getting it here in the US are way low, much lower than the chances of pertussis (which we see in our practice from time to time) and measles.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
That's an interesting observation isn't it. Flu is more deadly statistically speaking, and the morbidity and mortality from pertussis and measles is WAY higher than meningitis due to the sheer numbers of infection, and yet people are more afraid of meningitis and will accept that vaccine. Defies logic, and probably also demonstrates where educating the general public has failed.
My daughter had a doctor's appt a few days ago and got her flu shot. He said that influenza is more common, and incidents of it being deadly are comparatively low. Meningitis is not common but incidents of it being deadly are comparatively high. He said the number of deaths in the U.S. each year from them are about the same.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My daughter had a doctor's appt a few days ago and got her flu shot. He said that influenza is more common, and incidents of it being deadly are comparatively low. Meningitis is not common but incidents of it being deadly are comparatively high. He said the number of deaths in the U.S. each year from them are about the same.
Yes, he's right, the severity of the illness is greater in meningitis, but I don't agree with his statement about the number of deaths. From a variety of sources, the maximum number of recorded deaths from meningitis is 500 cases a year, whereas the flu, depending on the source, is anywhere from 17,000 to 52,000 deaths per year.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite
I'm told the reactions from the nasal spray are worse and the chance of getting sick is higher (because it's a live vaccine). Plus it drips down your throat and tastes nasty (this from dd who was given the live version in the military).
My kids & dh get flu shots because they're around so many different discrete populations, and are in a position to pick up germs from a bunch of places and send them other places. I don't get them because I'm allergic to one of the components, according to my doc, so I count on the rest of the herd's immunity.

Reactions from flu mist are similar and IME not any higher than from shots. This is based on a practice where we give thousands of doses per season. The nasty taste is a possibility, although our kids (ages 2-18) don't complain about that. One advantage is there is no sore arm from the spray. People do have to be screened for immune deficiency, egg allergy (just like the shot), and asthma with wheezing, which are contraindications.
The "drips down your throat" was from dd. The previous was from our pede. Your sample is no doubt different from hers, so your experience would perhaps also be different.
I have no dog in this battle. I will bow to your thousands and thousands, at least metaphorically speaking. I don't really care who gets what, other than those with whom I share dishes and laundry.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,126,936 times
No flu shots. We work to keep our immune system built up so that we are prepared for things that your flu shot may not be. I think the number of deaths correlate with those that are at high risk for just about anything taking them "out". I feel the flu shots are more about creating $$$ than creating health.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 AM

167 posts, read 477,174 times
We do not. Husband does because his employer doesn't give him a choice. We aren't the healthiest eaters (love me some Chik Fil A and Five Guys burgers) but I do make sure everyone takes multi vitamins and other supplements daily. So far in the past 8 years we haven't had the flu. ...runs to knock on some wood

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No flu shots. We work to keep our immune system built up so that we are prepared for things that your flu shot may not be. I think the number of deaths correlate with those that are at high risk for just about anything taking them "out". I feel the flu shots are more about creating $$$ than creating health.
Some of us are high risk and prefer not to be "taken out", tyvm.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Yes, he's right, the severity of the illness is greater in meningitis, but I don't agree with his statement about the number of deaths. From a variety of sources, the maximum number of recorded deaths from meningitis is 500 cases a year, whereas the flu, depending on the source, is anywhere from 17,000 to 52,000 deaths per year.
Maybe he was talking about a particular age group? I will have to ask him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the people who are most at risk for dying from influenza are babies, older people, and those with compromised immunity. We (my family, not the general we) vaccinate more to keep from transmitting disease to others than actual fear for ourselves. An epidemic like the Spanish flu a century ago is going to kill millions of ordinary people, including otherwise healthy people like me or my kids. We vaccinate in hopes that the "regular" flu is minimized so that strains such as the Spanish flu are very very rare.

Can you imagine if the influenza virus died out?

For people who think that the flu is just vomiting or fever and aches and not that big a deal:

Quote:
Most victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks, which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or weakened patients. ... The pandemic lasted from June 1918 to December 1920, spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. Between 50 and 100 million died, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. Even using the lower estimate of 50 million people, 3% of the world's population (1.86 billion at the time) died of the disease.
1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About half a million people died in the U.S. from it, maybe more. That was 100 years ago when we had a much smaller population. It is more lives than we have lost in any one war, perhaps as many as all the wars put together. This was in just a few years.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe he was talking about a particular age group? I will have to ask him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the people who are most at risk for dying from influenza are babies, older people, and those with compromised immunity.
Yes, that group is more at risk....but of course they are not the only group infected. My husband caught the H3N2 flu virus last year. He is healthy and extremely fit. He was very ill for over a month, and took at least 4 months to fully recover. Someone in the group you listed would never have fared so well seeing how ill he was.

Quote:
We (my family, not the general we) vaccinate more to keep from transmitting disease to others than actual fear for ourselves.
Exactly, something people don't seem to understand.

Quote:
Can you imagine if the influenza virus died out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting