Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The whole thing is just ridiculous. Dolls are about fantasy. Who on Earth would want a doll with Tourette's Syndrome? That's just crazy!

If dolls are only about the fantasies of a whitewashed childhood, explain this one:

Halle Berry as Catwoman Cat Woman Barbie, NRFB | eBay

Quote:
[ Red hair is one thing and I do believe dolls should come in every ethnicity - but beyond that, come on!
Curious as to why you think children with disabilities are somehow less worthy of accommodation than redheads or Chinese kids? Not to mention Tourette's is unlikely as a doll (Down's or some other physical manifestation, possibly) since none of the AG dolls talk or are motorized (so physical tics are also not likely). It would be easy enough to write one into a story, which is a part of the whole AG line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
There is a recent thread on AG's Facebook page for people to submit their questions to the doll designers.

A number of people are wishing for dolls with specifics, such as
- epi-pen
- asthma inhalator
- albino doll
- Down's syndrome doll
- Girl Scout doll (to celebrate next year 100 GS anniversary)
- dark red hair instead of strawberry blonde
- Tourette's syndrome doll
- self-esteem issues
- teeth design other than the "two obvious front teeth"
- food allergies
- differing body shapes/sizes

Are these requests overkill?
Or would you love to see AG expand their doll line to include anything and everything? Where to draw the line?

(I do strongly agree with the posts that chide AG for being made in China, but that's a different thread! lol)
Don't forget the transgender crossdressing hermaphrodite* illegal alien doll.

* Had to spell check this and I'm still not sure.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Why not?
Probably won't be cost effective.

There were approx 4 million babies born in 2003, assuming roughly 1 in 1000 were down's kids. That means about 4000 kids with downs are now old enough to play with an AG doll this year. Only about half of those will be girls (not that boys CAN'T play with the dolls but typically they do not) so at most there is 2000 candidates for the dolls a year. But if 20 million dolls have been sold (according to AG) since 1986 that means assuming only one doll goes to each kid (totally not true but for the sake of arguement) then only about 1/3 of girls of an age to get a AG does. Than you are looking at a maximum of 700 dolls a year. That is not really a number worth investing an entire line (hair, skin color, eye color etc) in when the return is so small.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

There were approx 4 million babies born in 2003, assuming roughly 1 in 1000 were down's kids. That means about 4000 kids with downs are now old enough to play with an AG doll this year. Only about half of those will be girls (not that boys CAN'T play with the dolls but typically they do not) so at most there is 2000 candidates for the dolls a year. But if 20 million dolls have been sold (according to AG) since 1986 that means assuming only one doll goes to each kid (totally not true but for the sake of arguement) then only about 1/3 of girls of an age to get a AG does. Then you are looking at a maximum of 700 dolls a year. That is not really a number worth investing an entire line (hair, skin color, eye color etc) in when the return is so small.
But people who associate with Down's kids- siblings, classmates, cousins, church friends, etc., would more than likely broaden the customer base. My DD (7) has a girl with DS in her class at school and I can totally see her being into something like this.

Obviously, it's up to AG on what they choose to market to their customers, but I honestly think a DS doll could sell.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
But people who associate with Down's kids- siblings, classmates, cousins, church friends, etc., would more than likely broaden the customer base. My DD (7) has a girl with DS in her class at school and I can totally see her being into something like this.

Obviously, it's up to AG on what they choose to market to their customers, but I honestly think a DS doll could sell.
So do I. And not just to families. I think EI & Head Start classrooms would buy these dolls. I also see ABA therapists and others using them.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:

There were approx 4 million babies born in 2003, assuming roughly 1 in 1000 were down's kids. That means about 4000 kids with downs are now old enough to play with an AG doll this year. Only about half of those will be girls (not that boys CAN'T play with the dolls but typically they do not) so at most there is 2000 candidates for the dolls a year. But if 20 million dolls have been sold (according to AG) since 1986 that means assuming only one doll goes to each kid (totally not true but for the sake of arguement) then only about 1/3 of girls of an age to get a AG does. Than you are looking at a maximum of 700 dolls a year. That is not really a number worth investing an entire line (hair, skin color, eye color etc) in when the return is so small.

You're assuming that only children born in 2003 are going to be receiving AG dolls this year? That's kind of bizarre-- not to mention the additional assumptions that only children buy the dolls, that each child only gets one doll, and that quantity sold is a direct driver of money made.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
You're assuming that only children born in 2003 are going to be receiving AG dolls this year? That's kind of bizarre-- not to mention the additional assumptions that only children buy the dolls, that each child only gets one doll, and that quantity sold is a direct driver of money made.
I never made that assumption. I used 2003 because children born in that year would be 8 this year, the age AG recommends for most of their products. Obviously, children born before that would also be old enough.

People keep comparing this to designing and selling the wheelchair or other accessories when it is completely different. The cost associated with creating an accessory is completely different than that associated with redesigning the head of the doll and then producing it in every eye color, skin color, hair color and hair type available. That is literally over a hundred variations for a very small demographic. Ignoring that is truly bizarre.

Oh, and assuming one doll per household HELPS the case for a decently sized market. Finally, if you think the number of dolls sold is not the "direct driver of money made", I have to assume you do not know how capitalism or a business works.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
that each child only gets one doll
I do not know any AG household where this is the case, including ours.
My girl is now up to 4 AG dolls and it's not even Christmas yet.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, and assuming one doll per household HELPS the case for a decently sized market. Finally, if you think the number of dolls sold is not the "direct driver of money made", I have to assume you do not know how capitalism or a business works.
Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

Quote:
People keep comparing this to designing and selling the wheelchair or other accessories when it is completely different. The cost associated with creating an accessory is completely different than that associated with redesigning the head of the doll and then producing it in every eye color, skin color, hair color and hair type available. That is literally over a hundred variations for a very small demographic. Ignoring that is truly bizarre.
Why would they do that? They don't offer Josefina or Molly in every shade of the rainbow. Were they to design a character doll (instead of the-- as mentioned earlier-- extremely simple and feasible option of a sidebar character) they would design one doll, with consistent eye and skin and hair color, and a consistent storyline, just like every other character doll.
As for body shape issues r/t clothing, that's easily enough dealt with. Doll clothes are frequently designed to fit a range of sizes and body types (a mid-calf dress becomes ankle-length or knee-length, empire waists fit a multitude of body shapes, etc.). It really wouldn't be the ordeal you describe, even leaving out the option of a limited-edition doll altogether.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

Well, AG can make that decision based on cost effectiveness. I was responding to a post that seemed to imply it was a silly idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting