Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 03:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Regarding boy's jeans. I often wondered how boys and men could wear those way too tight jeans. It looks very uncomfortable and down right dangerous.
My son is quite slim and looks nice in slimmer cut jeans. However, the one pair of skinny jeans that he had hurt his man parts so he stopped wearing it. My other sons are not the right shape for skinny jeans.

I think skinny jeans look nicer on girls than leggings. But only if they have the right body shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 03:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is tricky, because you want to help your kids fit in with peers, and look age appropriate. I just took my daughter to the "Lucky" store.
Yea, this about all you can do as a parent. Take her to the store and make sure whatever she chooses is appropriate. Bring a magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Just take her to goodwill and buy all the skinny jeans she can fit into.
This won't fly with most people, and def not preteen/teen children. Let's not make it harder than it has to be.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yea, this about all you can do as a parent. Take her to the store and make sure whatever she chooses is appropriate. Bring a magazine.

This won't fly with most people, and def not preteen/teen children. Let's not make it harder than it has to be.
I think that totally depends on how you have raised your children and how you present and represent the whole issue of fashion.

I have 3 daughters and not one cares anything about name brands, high fashion or trends. They were shown and taught from day one that we will buy clothes based on them fitting and wearing well in addition to being age appropriate. We always have final say on what is purchased and anything that we feel is unacceptable simply doesn't make it into the house.

They certainly have their choices, but their choices come from within a selected group to choose from.

I just purchased 10 pairs of jeans from a thrift store, 4 of those pairs were for my 13-almost-14 yr old daughter. As long as they fit well and are comfortable that is all she cares about. It happens that one pair is Hilfiger and one is Eddie Bauer.......neither means anything to her personally but she understands that others may like that. She was more impressed that we got 13 items of clothing for less than $26 and at retail brand new it would have cost at least $700 and all were in excellent shape, barely worn it seems.

The other jeans are for my son who is 8. He also doesn't care where they came from.

My other 2 daughters are grown and on their own and they still don't care whether their clothing follows the trends or is a name brand.

It's how we raised them and taught them about what's important.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

I buy my kids clothes at Goodwill and yard sales all the time.

My 9 year old loves clothes from Goodwill because she fits better in petite women's shirts than kids clothes, and I'm not springing for Ann Taylor or Chaus at retail prices. She also likes her jeans to be already worn soft. Last weekend we bought five pairs of jeans for $10...Aeropostale, Apple Bottoms, Gap, Levi's and a Kmart pair but she liked the embroidery on that one. Her closet is stuffed and she can go about two months without repeating an outfit.

She can do math, so she can understand that for the price of one dress at JC Penny's, she can have ten things from Goodwill. She gets even better prices at garage sales and she bargains too

Old 11-19-2011, 08:40 PM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
Jeggings! At justice stores might be a good compromise!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
My daughter does not like skinny jeans, but she does like jeggins, which are skinny jeans made out of the streatchy fabric. You can find them at Kohls and JC Penny. The brand is Vanilla Sky or Candies makes them too.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
It is just another style of jeans meaning how they fit. There are boot cut, relaxed, etc. They are slim in the hips and the legs are tapered so the jeans are tight from the waist to ankle. These were popular when I was a teen in the 80's except we took the jeans in ourselves. I noticed boys are wearing them and I don't like how they look on boys. My son refuses to even consider them which is fine by me. The problem is when a trend like this takes off, then every damn store sells them and it becomes the main item. I took him jean shopping about a month ago and we had to look for the non skinny jeans. I actually tried on a pair for hoots and giggles and ugh. I am very slender through the hips and legs so I had no problem finding a pair to fit but visually it looked like I was 90 lbs on the bottom half and 200 on my top half. I think they only work on very slim girls from head to toe.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I think that totally depends on how you have raised your children and how you present and represent the whole issue of fashion.

I have 3 daughters and not one cares anything about name brands, high fashion or trends. They were shown and taught from day one that we will buy clothes based on them fitting and wearing well in addition to being age appropriate. We always have final say on what is purchased and anything that we feel is unacceptable simply doesn't make it into the house.
Exactly. There is no turning up of noses because the clothing was not pricey or brand named.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 AM

253 posts, read 558,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy my kids clothes at Goodwill and yard sales all the time.

My 9 year old loves clothes from Goodwill because she fits better in petite women's shirts than kids clothes, and I'm not springing for Ann Taylor or Chaus at retail prices. She also likes her jeans to be already worn soft. Last weekend we bought five pairs of jeans for $10...Aeropostale, Apple Bottoms, Gap, Levi's and a Kmart pair but she liked the embroidery on that one. Her closet is stuffed and she can go about two months without repeating an outfit.

She can do math, so she can understand that for the price of one dress at JC Penny's, she can have ten things from Goodwill. She gets even better prices at garage sales and she bargains too
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting