Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Hmm, we're no closer to figuring out WHY, I suppose. Your teenage years and mine are very comparable, except that I never regretted being that way. I never had the urge to get these rebellious acts "out of my system", no matter how many people insist that its a part of normal adolescent development. I just didn't do it, and then later, didn't do it again.

Maybe girls are just more trouble?
I hated high school.
I never got to do anything cool. I was always doing everything later than everyone else.
I never knew how to do my hair right, or my make-up like everyone else did.
I was always behind the curve when it came to style.
I didn't really date.
I never went to the parties.
I lived a very innocent life and I always felt YEARS behind my peers.

I wanted the clothes, the style, the hair, the make-up, the social status, the popularity, the cool stuff, the freedom, I wanted to live the "cool kids" life.
I have that now and I have never been happier.
I have finally come into my own identity. I just wish it had happened earlier.
I wish I had the stuff I do now had come a lot earlier than it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times
Jasper & Zim.....yep & yep. The trouble with figuring out why people do the things they do, is that the reasons behind the behavior are just as varied as the behaviors themselves. The medical establishment have "labels" for people now....but still no concrete, absolute answers.

Yeah, that a family can have all but one child turn out perfectly "normal", never causing a bit of trouble, generally staying within the lines, and yet that ONE child can completely boggle your mind...leave you wondering how in the h*ll they ever turned out to be who they are. It's completely baffling and there just are no perfect answers and certainly none that you can apply to everyone. Some people go through their whole lives, wreaking havoc in everyone's lives that they touch. Some go through their entire lives never stirring the pot, content to just ....be. People are fascinating.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,934,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! You sure took "taught how to think" literally! Oh, the irony! Thank you for providing a perfect example of what I was describing! LOL
Glad you got a chuckle out of attempting to insult me, but the reason I highlighted "taught how to think," is that people make those kinds of glib statements without REALLY thinking what they are saying . . . I think there is a subconscious belief that you really DO have to "teach kids how to think" - I think in our modern day culture parents have put themselves up on a pedestal and think of themselves as some kinds of child psychology geniuses - meanwhile, it is all cultural B.S. -

Kids today are thought of as these barbaric little beasts that must be trained (i.e., conditioned) to perform like robots and ultimately "work for the man" (for lack of better slang for grooming them to be corporate pawns) . . .You might find that example a little extreme, and it is for effect, BUT I think there is truth to it - and again, I think it is sub-conscious.

I believe parents are too busy and too materialistic today to really think about what a child REALLY needs (most parents, that is) . . .

I think a child needs time and nature as opposed to rules and monitoring (besides other stuff).

Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I hated high school.
I never got to do anything cool. I was always doing everything later than everyone else.
I never knew how to do my hair right, or my make-up like everyone else did.
I was always behind the curve when it came to style.
I didn't really date.
I never went to the parties.
I lived a very innocent life and I always felt YEARS behind my peers.

I wanted the clothes, the style, the hair, the make-up, the social status, the popularity, the cool stuff, the freedom, I wanted to live the "cool kids" life.
I have that now and I have never been happier.
I have finally come into my own identity. I just wish it had happened earlier.
I wish I had the stuff I do now had come a lot earlier than it did.
Your own identity, or your perception of the cool kids' identity?

Last edited by imcurious; 12-20-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Glad you got a chuckle out of attempting to insult me, but the reason I highlighted "taught how to think," is that people make those kinds of glib statements without REALLY thinking what they are saying . . . I think there is a subconscious belief that you really DO have to "teach kids how to think" - I think in our modern day culture parents have put themselves up on a pedestal and think of themselves as some kinds of child psychology geniuses - meanwhile, it is all cultural B.S. -

Kids today are thought of as these barbaric little beasts that must be trained (i.e., conditioned) to perform like robots and ultimately "work for the man" (for lack of better slang for grooming them to be corporate pawns) . . .You might find that example a little extreme, and it is for effect, BUT I think there is truth to it - and again, I think it is sub-conscious.

I believe parents are too busy and too materialistic today to really think about what a child REALLY needs (most parents, that is) . . .

I think a child needs time and nature as opposed to rules and monitoring (besides other stuff).
As you say, this is all just a gigantic generalization.

And GOOD LAWD, will you please change your font color, it is exceedingly difficult to read.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Jasper & Zim.....yep & yep. The trouble with figuring out why people do the things they do, is that the reasons behind the behavior are just as varied as the behaviors themselves. The medical establishment have "labels" for people now....but still no concrete, absolute answers.

Yeah, that a family can have all but one child turn out perfectly "normal", never causing a bit of trouble, generally staying within the lines, and yet that ONE child can completely boggle your mind...leave you wondering how in the h*ll they ever turned out to be who they are. It's completely baffling and there just are no perfect answers and certainly none that you can apply to everyone. Some people go through their whole lives, wreaking havoc in everyone's lives that they touch. Some go through their entire lives never stirring the pot, content to just ....be. People are fascinating.
Some people are never content.
They always are trying to "fix" and "change". They don't settle for less and always try and strive for more, they always want to try new and different things and take it to the next level each and every time and always try and find the next best thrill and excitement. Always changing, always doing, always going, always challenging and I prefer those people.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Your own identity, or your perception of the cool kids identity?
Ok I guess I will rephrase.
I finally came into the idenity I always was going for.
My hair does what I want it to do, its always done. I have acheived the make-up styles I like and get compliments on it.
I finally get to go out and do the things I find fun, instead of the namby-pamby sit at home all the time crap I used to do.

I finally have that image.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 PM

An image is just that - it is not real . . .you are a persona . . .can you go out with no makeup and your hair just as it looks out of the shower? Now that is self-love.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
An image is just that - it is not real . . .you are a persona . . .can you go out with no makeup and your hair just as it looks out of the shower? Now that is self-love.

I CAN but why would I do that?

Why would I go out with my hair in every which direction, curling funny all about my head?
Why would I go out looking unkempt?

Your hair is there to cut/color, your face is there to put make-up on, you body is made for putting clothes on different styles that you like. Its like one of those t-shirts that came with the markers and you could color on the shirt and then wash it and start over for something different.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,731,263 times
Pinkie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting