Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Only if you have them on a lease otherwise legally they are not entitled to that protection.
as family they are protected w/o a lease .. the eviction stuff is gonna have to happen the legal way via the courts ..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I prefer not to sink to the level of physical violence.

1. I won't win, especially against an enraged 18 or 19 year old
2. Hitting someone isn't a great consequence; what if they hit you back harder?
3. Maintaining parental control means settling limits and enforcing consequences. Hitting or slapping an adult child isn't the best way to do that.

If my son ever laid a hand on me, I'd call the police.

(But I don't mean to derail this thread! Carry on, everyone...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
My ex called his mother a ***** once. She slapped him.

He never called her that again.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
If we give them 30 days notice and they don't find a place to live, then what? Are we supposed to let our boys be homeless on the streets? They are smart kids, just extremely lazy, disrepectful, mean spirited, spiteful, and aggressive. They have a lot of potential and we just want to bring it out of them.

My wife and I have been debating over whether or not to rent them an apartment. Maybe we will go through with that plan. That way we can live in a safe, peaceful household and they can go on with their lives. We are not going to be confrontational as we want to be involved in weddings and other future events. They are good guys, they just have a lot of incredibly stomach wrenching tendencies. It's time for them to go. We will find a way to make this happen. Thank you all for your help. Most of it wasn't one bit useful, but by seeing how not to handle this situation has sparked some ideas about how to handle this situation.
You are in complete denial. They are not likely to literally be sleeping on the streets. If they make money playing poker, they can get a hotel room temporarily, or rent a room. They'll likely crash on a friend's couch for a while. That friend will not be the pushover that you have been and won't let them stay forever.

What do you think of the fact that every single poster has had the same advice for you, yet you alone think the advice is awful? Are you wrong or are we ALL wrong?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
If we give them 30 days notice and they don't find a place to live, then what? Are we supposed to let our boys be homeless on the streets? They are smart kids, just extremely lazy, disrepectful, mean spirited, spiteful, and aggressive. They have a lot of potential and we just want to bring it out of them.

My wife and I have been debating over whether or not to rent them an apartment. Maybe we will go through with that plan. That way we can live in a safe, peaceful household and they can go on with their lives. We are not going to be confrontational as we want to be involved in weddings and other future events. They are good guys, they just have a lot of incredibly stomach wrenching tendencies. It's time for them to go. We will find a way to make this happen. Thank you all for your help. Most of it wasn't one bit useful, but by seeing how not to handle this situation has sparked some ideas about how to handle this situation.

OHMYGOSH, don't you get it??

If they are as smart as you claim there is NO WAY they would ever be homeless

And even if they ended up on the streets a few days it would be the best thing that could ever happen to them - why can't you see that??

They are NOT little kids!! THEY ARE GROWN MEN - treat them like it.

Or are you too emotionally invested in crippling them to be able to let them stand and fall?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
if you have not brought out their potential by now----it ain't gonna happen. they have to bring it out themselves. You would be doing them a BIG FAVOR by showing them how much you love them and how much confidence you have in their ability to be on their own. by continuing to let them mooch off you, you are telling them that is as far as you think they can achieve.

Please step back from this and realize, while some have been mean spirited, most of us sincerely know what we are saying is right and you are only crippling them further by letting them not stand on their own two feet. Are you deep down afraid they may not actually need you and your money? Are you afraid they might actually be grown men?

This may very well be the one thing you can do to show you really care and have confidence in their capabilities. Things may be strained for a while but they will get over it.

If you pay for them to have an apartment---just to ge t started--I guarantee you will be paying their rent from here on out. They will manipulate you till only you stop them. They certainly will not stop taking and taking. Why can't you see that?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Only if you have them on a lease otherwise legally they are not entitled to that protection.
Wrong. Had a similar situation, last year. A freind allowed a total loser to move in with him. The loser lived in the friend's place for 4 months. (He was not on the lease) The dude was a heavy drinker & all around scumbag. When he set the place on fire, while high, the friend kicked him out. Guess who the cops sided with?? Yep- the loser who wasn't even on the lease. The law is that if you allow anyone to live with you that person must have 3 months notice if you want them out -even if they are not on a lease. Even if you were living there first. Doesn't matter.
Don't do favors for anyone- it doesn't pay

Back to the OP- kick 'em out A.S.A.P.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Wrong. Had a similar situation, last year. A freind allowed a total loser to move in with him. The loser lived in the friend's place for 4 months. (He was not on the lease) The dude was a heavy drinker & all around scumbag. When he set the place on fire, while high, the friend kicked him out. Guess who the cops sided with?? Yep- the loser who wasn't even on the lease. The law is that if you allow anyone to live with you that person must have 3 months notice if you want them out -even if they are not on a lease. Even if you were living there first. Doesn't matter.
Don't do favors for anyone- it doesn't pay

Back to the OP- kick 'em out A.S.A.P.
But that's illegal, for he doesn't exist.

Anyway, I am not buying this thread. You see how the man's talking in circles. He's possibly pleasuring himself annoying parents. I enjoyed doing that 15 years ago

Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
But that's illegal, for he doesn't exist.

Anyway, I am not buying this thread. You see how the man's talking in circles. He's possibly pleasuring himself annoying parents. I enjoyed doing that 15 years ago
Some here would say you STILL enjoy doing it

Seriously though, I think this dad is for real - which is really really sad.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:

I'm sorry you did not get what you needed ... or maybe you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting