Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

Imagine how frustrated this mother had to have been to make her son wear this sign for 2 hours on a busy street. I can understand her wanted to get the kid's attention but think she has gone about it the wrong way.

Ind. mother forces son to wear sign reading "I lie, I steal, I sell drugs" - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
I have seen this a few times in the past. Parents making their kids wear signs because of selling drugs, stealing, bad grades, etc.

Mom puts son on Tampa street corner to tell of poor grades - Tampa Bay Times

Townsville mother makes son wear humiliating 'I'm a thief' sign | Mail Online

Newsvine - Father punishes son by making him wear sign in public

I found a lot of similar stories.

I am not sure how I feel about it. If the parents have tried everything they can think of to fix the situation, and this is a last ditch effort to change the behavior, I am strangely happy that they are doing it. To me, it means that they parents are really trying and not just giving up on their kids.

If this is just an easy out, then to me it is the same as any lazy parenting.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
I actually like the idea. Good for her.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
If this is just an easy out, then to me it is the same as any lazy parenting.
I doubt it's an easy out. Many parents in her situation are ashamed for people to know what their children have done.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I sure wouldn't have done that to my children. That doesn't necessarily make me a better or worse parent.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
It depends to me..He might be one step away from prison. She might be so frustrated and desperate that this is her last option. He husband might not be around and she is the only one. Who knows. I hoped it worked.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I'm not in favor of humiliating kids. But, in at least two of these examples, the parents stayed right there with the boys, in order to make sure they wore the signs. To me, that shows the parents are also making the sacrifice of time to save their children from their own lousy decisions.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Imagine how frustrated this mother had to have been to make her son wear this sign for 2 hours on a busy street. I can understand her wanted to get the kid's attention but think she has gone about it the wrong way.

Ind. mother forces son to wear sign reading "I lie, I steal, I sell drugs" - Crimesider - CBS News
I wouldn't do it, in respect to at least three possibilities:

1. It's humiliating, and that is not necessarily a deterrent for crime. In fact, low self-esteem might only push a person further into criminal behavior (especially lying and the abuse of drugs).

2. Not everyone who sees it will interpret it the same way. Younger kids especially may even think it's a proud statement, no matter WHAT look is on the kid's face.

3. Once you're known by so many people to be a certain type of person, is there really much point in changing? Even if this kid straightens up completely, his reputation may never recover, and that'll be made apparent to him soon.

I think it's a waste of time, frankly, particularly since there's usually an underlying problem behind someone's decision to get involved in criminal behavior...

Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I doubt it's an easy out. Many parents in her situation are ashamed for people to know what their children have done.
Sorry if I worded that badly. I wasn't talking about any of these specific examples. Most of these parents seem to be doing it because they are looking for anything that will work. I meant that I could seem this type of thing being used in the wrong way very easily and if it becomes more of a trend, I think we will seem more people just tossing kids onto a street corner before they try anything else.

The way these parents did it was pretty great imo.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
Good for her. I would have sent the kid to the show, "Beyond scared straight", but this is very good form of punishment. Who cares if it is humiliating to the kid? The kid humiliated himself by acting so poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting