Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Julia does make a good point with that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Yes, it's gross and disgusting and unhygienic. It's also hard to understand what it's like for a very young child to have bad allergies. It's as though someone has turned on a tap in their nose. I would try to be a bit understanding rather than starting a rant about it on the internet.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I worked in a preschool for a couple of years and as a worker I found a lot of parents neglected the whole proper hygiene thing when it came to illness. I was constantly sick. CONSTANTLY. I had kids wiping their noses on me, coughing in my face, sneezing in my face. It never occurred to them to cover their mouths or use a tissue. Now I didnt expect hygiene perfection but it really was a major toll. It actually one of the main reasons it drove me away from the job. I have asthma and anytime a child came in with a cold, I ended up with a full blown upper respiratory infection. I tried like mad to avoid getting sick. Washing hands constantly, taking vitamins but many parents send their kids to preschool/daycare sick because of their own strict job requirements. It got so bad that I started to become immune to antibiotics. Then I brought the illness home, my own toddler was sick, husband was sick. Ugh. Even my doctor suggested a new line of work. He asked me if I worked in a petri dish.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
No wonder people have such lousy handwashing habits - even in hospitals and restaurants. You have to teach your kids to be responsible for themselves and passing around germs and bacteria.

I don't want to be around ANYONE who is being used as a kleenex. I would hate for her clothing to rub against me or my car upholstery or my furniture. Bleeecchhh.

I would say this is a personal hygiene issue FOR THE MOTHER, not the child. The child is being taught (allowed) to engage in this behavior. The one who is at fault here is the mother. Yuk.

This is no different than if the mother blew her own nose on her clothing. The results are the same: NASTY.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, it's gross and disgusting and unhygienic. It's also hard to understand what it's like for a very young child to have bad allergies. It's as though someone has turned on a tap in their nose. I would try to be a bit understanding rather than starting a rant about it on the internet.
Maybe you didn't read my posts. I have a child with allergies. He was handed tissues and taught how to use them.

I also taught my preschoolers how to use them and how to hand wash.
I don't blame the child.

It's more about the mother allowing her kid to use her like a Kleenex. What sort of person does this and thinks it's okay?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Maybe you didn't read my posts. I have a child will allergies. He was handed tissues and taught how to use them.

I also taught my preschoolers how to use them and how to hand wash.
I don't blame the child.

It's more about the mother allowing her kid to use her like a Kleenex.
I totally get where you are coming from. You gotta wonder what the hell she is thinking - and why she would find it acceptable to have her sleeves be covered in mucous.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
OP - There are two things you can do:

You can tsk-tsk about this mother's sanitary habits on the internet.

or.......

You can reach out and help her. You said she's a bit clueless as a mother. ALL of us were clueless about things until someone taught us better. Will you see her again? The kindest thing you could do for her is to have a quiet talk (without nagging or being condescending) about why she should teach her son to use Kleenex. Have a box ready and say, "Come here little guy" and teach him to blow and wipe his nose. Then you turn to Mom with a smile on your face and say, "That's it! Very easy, just blow and wipe and toss and a fresh Kleenex every time." Then a Mom to Mom chat about germs. And mention that people around her aren't going to like what she's doing and it could affect the child. (No friends. Friends making fun of him.)

And send her home with the box of Kleenex. "My present because he learned so quickly!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting