Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

[quote=AsianRice;22753150]I'm in my early 20s and I don't want kids. Am I against it? No. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.
QUOTE]

That's a bit confusing. If you don't want kids, how and why would they "happen?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
[quote=brightdoglover;22756049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I'm in my early 20s and I don't want kids. Am I against it? No. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.
QUOTE]

That's a bit confusing. If you don't want kids, how and why would they "happen?"
Storks and cabbage leaves.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
[quote=brightdoglover;22756049]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I'm in my early 20s and I don't want kids. Am I against it? No. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.
QUOTE]

I prefer child-free lifestyle. If one day I get pregnant because conception fail, then I'm not against it. Yahoo, I'm pregnant. I guess I'm pretty laidback about it, but I'm leaning toward no kids.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
When we have the urge to adopt a dog - we tape cute pictures of puppies to the fridge. We enjoy the cute puppies, but remind ourselves how expensive dogs can be, and how much trouble they can be, and how much work they can be, and how much it hurts when they cross the rainbow bridge, and the urge to adopt a dog passes.

Our kids are only 16 and 12... and I cannot imagine this ever happening to me, but if it should... if that urge ever hits me... that urge of wanting to have a grandbaby... I think I shall tape pictures of cute babies to my fridge. And if that doesn't work... I shall volunteer at the local relief nursery and give my love and attention to babies who really need it.

I actually really do hope that our kids do not have kids. I hope they remain childless. It's for selfish reasons, really. My hubby and I love our kids so much, and worry so much about them, and worry about this crazy mixed-up world we brought them into, that we can't stand the thought of having to endure more of that kind of love and worry for another generation, for any other beings. And the world is not getting any healthier or easier to bear, to boot. The population issue is a real thing to consider. If my hubby and I could go back and do things differently, knowing and feeling what we know and feel now, I'm not afraid to admit that we would have made the decision to remain childless.

We were 18 and 23 when we started out, 19 and 24 when our first was born. Nothing wrong with being young parents, and I'm proud to say we've done a great job so far raising good kids... but we weren't exactly thinking about how our choices fit in, in the grande scheme of worldly things. We weren't aware of any population or looming fuel and food crisis. We were just in love.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM

239 posts, read 520,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
And i mean they have hit their mid 20's to early 30's, and are married and told you this?
I have two children and neither wants to have children. One is over 40 and the other is in her early thirties. I believe that they won't change their minds.

I'm fine with it. I just want them to do what makes them happy. It's their lives, not mine and they need to do what is best for them.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
When we have the urge to adopt a dog - we tape cute pictures of puppies to the fridge. We enjoy the cute puppies, but remind ourselves how expensive dogs can be, and how much trouble they can be, and how much work they can be, and how much it hurts when they cross the rainbow bridge, and the urge to adopt a dog passes.

Our kids are only 16 and 12... and I cannot imagine this ever happening to me, but if it should... if that urge ever hits me... that urge of wanting to have a grandbaby... I think I shall tape pictures of cute babies to my fridge. And if that doesn't work... I shall volunteer at the local relief nursery and give my love and attention to babies who really need it.

I actually really do hope that our kids do not have kids. I hope they remain childless. It's for selfish reasons, really. My hubby and I love our kids so much, and worry so much about them, and worry about this crazy mixed-up world we brought them into, that we can't stand the thought of having to endure more of that kind of love and worry for another generation, for any other beings. And the world is not getting any healthier or easier to bear, to boot. The population issue is a real thing to consider. If my hubby and I could go back and do things differently, knowing and feeling what we know and feel now, I'm not afraid to admit that we would have made the decision to remain childless.

We were 18 and 23 when we started out, 19 and 24 when our first was born. Nothing wrong with being young parents, and I'm proud to say we've done a great job so far raising good kids... but we weren't exactly thinking about how our choices fit in, in the grande scheme of worldly things. We weren't aware of any population or looming fuel and food crisis. We were just in love.
Couldn't rep you again. I appreciate your honesty.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times
I'd be disappointed especially if I were to only have one child.

Last edited by 90sman; 01-31-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I would be disappointed if we had no grandchildren, but more than anything I want my kids to be happy. I have one child that wouldn't surprise me at all to have them say they didn't want kids. The other child, I suspect sometime might have some but no time soon. They are both in their early 20's now and both boys and the idea of settling down and starting a family is about the same as the idea of them going to Mars. They are both very career oriented and both still in school. Dating and all that leads up to kids is not on their radars right now. One of my sons says he doesn't have the strength or the time it takes to have a relationship.

I would really like to have grandchildren for so many reasons. I want to be the kind of grandparent my kids never had. DH and We didn't start having kids until we were in our early 30's. We had wanted a houseful of kids, but Mother Nature had other plans for us, and we were lucky to get the kids we got. We had always hoped for a houseful of grand kids instead. I figure though that if either of our kids have children they will likely be older parents, which will definitely make us much older grandparents.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I only know one person (married, mid 20s) childless by choice. Says it's a permanent decision. Frankly, I've known this kid most of his life, and I think it's the right decision. Wish more people would own up to who they are and take responsibility for their actions rather than have an "if it happens" attitude or pretending that their birth control failed (yes, if you don't take/use it as directed, it tends to fail more often than not).

If my kids both chose to be childless, I'd be devastated personally and sad for them.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I only know one person (married, mid 20s) childless by choice. Says it's a permanent decision. Frankly, I've known this kid most of his life, and I think it's the right decision. Wish more people would own up to who they are and take responsibility for their actions rather than have an "if it happens" attitude or pretending that their birth control failed (yes, if you don't take/use it as directed, it tends to fail more often than not).

If my kids both chose to be childless, I'd be devastated personally and sad for them.
Wow! Only one person who is CBC? I was raised in the deep south, and I know quite a few: at least three of my classmates, a former neighbor in her 80s, a cousin in his 40s, and an aunt & uncle. That's all I can think of this early in the a.m. How interesting!

"Sad for them" is a phrase a lot of people have used to describe their feelings for their children if their children decided to remain childless. I think that folks are projecting though. If a person doesn't want children, why be sad for them? They have made the choice they feel is best for them. They are most probably very happy. Believing that CBC folks are missing out is an opinion based on your experience not theirs. I just find that attitude very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting