Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 PM

6 posts, read 7,738 times

Advertisements

I am curious about the issue of parents with transgender children. Especially parents that are used to traditional gender roles. As a parent, how would you react to your son, who is in his early 20's, wanting to act on his transgender desires? Would it be accepted by you or would you disown him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I'm just curious, are you in this situation? Either the parent or child?

I would not disown my child for being transgender. They are who they are, and I would love them.

I hope you understand that a person forced/blackmailed by family to not be true to themselves does not mean they are no longer transgender, just that they are hiding/suppressing it.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
How prevalent is transgender in society's youth? 1 in 100? 1 in 500?

Is transgender essentially cross-dressing 24/7? And is going through with the reassignment surgery then transsexualism? A friend of mine who is fairly liberal once told me that he was standing at a copy machine at work in a large company and that a woman there was in line behind him to use the machine. He got a better look at her and saw huge hands and an Adam's Apple. He said it was jarring, because he had never paid attention to her and got caught off guard. He wasn't judging, just observing.

Is there any psychological point of reference as to what makes a kid transgender? I think this would be a good point of departure.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,850 times
I would say that being transgender goes way farther than simply cross dressing. It is taking on the characteristics and gender roles of the opposite sex. I met a woman that dressed in men's clothing because she seen it as empowerment. In her mind, dressing like a man would give her more power over women assuming that she thinks women are weaker than men. Funny thing is, she wasn't gay. So back to square one, transgender goes far beyond simply cross-dressing.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Here are some resources:

PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Answers to your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression

GLAAD's Transgender Resources | GLAAD

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A friend of mine who is fairly liberal once told me that he was standing at a copy machine at work in a large company and that a woman there was in line behind him to use the machine. He got a better look at her and saw huge hands and an Adam's Apple. He said it was jarring, because he had never paid attention to her and got caught off guard. He wasn't judging, just observing.
Judging a book by it's cover is never wise. All humans have an Adam's Apple, it's just that men usually have larger ones, but women can have large Adam's Apples too.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Is transgender essentially cross-dressing 24/7?
Someone who is trans-gendered has a gender identity that does not match their assigned sex. They can identify as male, female, neither, both, or "fluid" (sometimes male, sometimes female, or sometimes a mixture of both).

I think the best thing is for parents to always love & accept their children for who they are.

& I wouldn't call someone expressing who they really are "acting on trans-gender desires." That is really over-simplifying it.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLast_Mohican View Post
Funny thing is, she wasn't gay. So back to square one, transgender goes far beyond simply cross-dressing.
Yes, gender identity has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Someone who is trans-gendered can be gay, straight, bi, pansexual, asexual, etc. I agree with Zimbo that it is best to never judge a book by its cover.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
early 20's is an adult, free to make their own decisions. I would not approve, but I would certainly not disown. I'm sure my children will do many things that I disapprove of, my love will be unconditional.

I thought you meant a child, and I will admit that I have a total double standard for that. I have seen that, a 7 year old boy that was transgendered, fully dressed, earings, and hair, with a girl name, and I thought the parents were off their rocker. Yet I have I've got a girl that wears basketball pants and baseball jerseys all the time, hair in a baseball hat, plays boys sports. But I'm certainly not letting her get a crew cut and change her name to Joe. And I would not allow my son to wear a dress or take up ballet. Thank God my total bias and double standards for which I have no logical explanation do not bother my son in the least.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
5 fingers and 5 toes? I think my response would be "oh".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting