Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 AM

224 posts, read 357,010 times

Advertisements

I'm 18, but one year ago I had a semi emotional breakdown. I wanted a nose job (that I will be getting in the near future) I was so distraught about it that I couldn't even speak of it, I had to send my request via an incredibly long text message: "OMG mom, I'm totes ugly. I need a nose jawb, so I can look like Kim Kardashian. WAH!" (I'm joking)

Anways, apparently my mother was completley unaware of how I felt about my face. Even though I have made requests when I was 10 for a nose job, and she just simply forgot so I simply stopped asking(I could only dream and cry and dream some more) I never told my father my requests, because I don't like looking insecure in front of him.

Sadly, I had my one of many emotional breakdowns in a public place (a book store) My aunt was there, and she was ranting on how "beautiful" I was. My mother was agreeing, how I was such a "beautiful" baby, and how people would walk up to me and want to hold me and BLAH *insert motherly banter* Being a beautiful baby doesn't count, everyone likes babies.

I swear, I hate family members when it comes to this crap. Of course they're going to find me attractive, they've known me all my life and share the same DNA. If they were strangers they'd think otherwise.

My dad found out, and basically cried. "If only she could see what we see..." Of course you're going to think I'm awesome, I look just like you!

So anywho, how would you feel if your child requested plastic surgery? Supportive? Encouraging? Or are you going to be bias, and chant the whole "everyone is beautiful" mantra?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
How much will it cost?

Other than money and risks (surgery, anesthesia), no problem as far as I am concerned. Modification; Just like braces, right?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How much will it cost?

Other than money and risks (surgery, anesthesia), no problem as far as I am concerned. Modification; Just like braces, right?

Average nose job is around 3-10K. Depending on your whereabouts.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.U.E.E.N View Post
Average nose job is around 3-10K. Depending on your whereabouts.
Who is paying for it? (Any way you can get a doctor to prescribe it due to medical necessity, like apnea, breathing disorder, or something? That would be the way to go.)

Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who is paying for it? (Any way you can get a doctor to prescribe it due to medical necessity, like apnea, breathing disorder, or something? That would be the way to go.)

Yeah, I'm being covered for reasons I do not wish to share.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.U.E.E.N View Post
Yeah, I'm being covered for reasons I do not wish to share.
I'd be all for it. This is a no brainer.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
At your young age you may need to seek counseling prior to doing something so drastic. If you really want something, you should go get a job and then pay for it. Asking your parents for something so drastic puts them in a very emotional delima.
Of course parents usually think we are perfect...But, it could also be that you hate your looks so much that your view is somewhat distorted. That is why I would suggest at least a couple of consults with Doctors.
I think people should be able to choose these type things for themselves. It isn't you choosing if it is you asking someone else to pay for it. Give that some thought. Maybe your parents can assist, but you certainly should contribute especially since it sounds like a vanity surgery, rather than life saving surgery.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
no reputable surgeon would touch an emotionally unstable patient for plastic surgery. you will probably have unrealistic expectations about the results and might put his reputation at risk. Try to figure out what else is happening to make you so unstable before you go under the knife. A new nose is not going to solve your problems and you need to know that up front.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
At your young age you may need to seek counseling prior to doing something so drastic. If you really want something, you should go get a job and then pay for it.
Tried. Too ugly to get a job, would scare away costumers. Google it, there are news reports on such things. In reality, I'm not getting hired due to lack of experience.

Quote:
Asking your parents for something so drastic puts them in a very emotional delima.
Why? No money is coming out of their pockets. All they need to do is drive me to hospital and drive me back home. Okay, maybe gas money will be wasted.

Quote:
But, it could also be that you hate your looks so much that your view is somewhat distorted.
No, I think I'm pretty accurate with my face. But I remember the first time I saw myself through a double mirror, that was a trip.

Quote:
That is why I would suggest at least a couple of consults with Doctors.
No.

Quote:
especially since it sounds like a vanity surgery, rather than life saving surgery.
"Not for my vanity, but for humanity..." I got that from a Disney movie.... Oliver and Company.

I think this would save me.
It's this one little flaw that just ruins me.
I have so much potential, and my nose just ruined it.
It's like God trolled me. "We can't make her too good looking. Let's just through in a huge, asymmetrical nose to balance it all out."

When you look good, you feel good. If I feel good, I'll do good. If I feel bad, I won't do ****.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no reputable surgeon would touch an emotionally unstable patient for plastic surgery.
Luckily, I'm a good actress.

Quote:
you will probably have unrealistic expectations
I think they're pretty realistic.

Quote:
A new nose is not going to solve your problems and you need to know that up front.
>_> All my problems come from my nose, though.

I'm pretty fine other than that.

No nose=no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting