Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How do you reconcile those two posts then? You would demand a child live a lie? It would be kinder to disown them.
This.

90sman, clarify your gray area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM

This was an illuminating feature about a 10 year old, transgendered child living in Boulder, CO. It brought tears to my eyes and has stuck with me.

full version: http://www.bouldersafeschools.org/PDFs/article_5280.pdf

preview with picture: Second Nature | 5280

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
What if it were a black child who didn't want to be his own race and wished to become white? Or a white child that wanted to be black or Asian because he didn't accept his own race? Would everyone be just as accepting of a trans-racial child?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Judging a book by it's cover is never wise. All humans have an Adam's Apple, it's just that men usually have larger ones, but women can have large Adam's Apples too.
It was then known that this person was going through reassignment / hormonal stuff.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Quote:
How do you reconcile those two posts then? You would demand a child live a lie? It would be kinder to disown them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
This.

90sman, clarify your gray area.
Like I said in another post, just because a parent doesn't approve or accept something their child does doesn't mean they disown them.

Do you approve of everything everyone does? I doubt it, but I also doubt that means you disown them.

I think transgenderism is a very strange thing as do most other people.

That's the way I feel about this. I answered the OP's questions and if you don't like it then that is just too bad. Boo-hoo.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Like I said in another post, just because a parent doesn't approve or accept something their child does doesn't mean they disown them.

Do you approve of everything everyone does? I doubt it, but I also doubt that means you disown them.

That's the way I feel about this. I answered the OP's questions and if you don't like then that is just too bad. Boo-hoo.
Still confused but thanks for trying.

If you don't "accept it" but you don't disown them what does that look like? Do you just refuse to use the alternate preposition (he vs. she) and call them by their given name even though that's not their legal name anymore?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

I think transgenderism is a very strange thing as do most other people.

That's the way I feel about this. I answered the OP's questions and if you don't like it then that is just too bad. Boo-hoo.
Exactly. Parents do not have to accept their child's views on subjects such as these, but they do have to respect them. To disrespect them would be an act of dis-ownership.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What if it were a black child who didn't want to be his own race and wished to become white? Or a white child that wanted to be black or Asian because he didn't accept his own race? Would everyone be just as accepting of a trans-racial child?
You know...there are actually "transethic" people and no, I don't see it the same way. Here's why...

For one, transethic is something new and very closely tied to certain internet subcultures. You find transethics alongside otherkin, fiction kin, transfat, fake multiples, and other 'kintypes'. They were created by the internet and are sustained by the internet (as opposed to trans* individuals, who have been recorded across history and cultures). Such people occur in very distinct clusters- tumbler is the first one that springs to mind.

So if I had a child claiming to be transethic, I would first be checking what websites they've been visiting because there is a very, very high likelihood that's where they got it from. I'd also be very surprised if my child were black and claiming to be transethic white, since almost all transethics are cis white individuals.

But let's say for the sake of discussion that I didn't know about this internet subculture, as I assume you didn't. I still wouldn't view it the same. Transgendered individuals don't just *feel* different....they *are* different in many cases. Trans* individuals appear to have differences in the structure of the brain and differences genetically in the androgen receptors, which control secondary sex characteristics.

Gender is a complex interaction between biology, genetics, culture, and emotion. Genetically and biologically speaking, you can't be transethic. You may culturally feel that your race is not accepted and may wish you were a different race, but outside of cis white people crying oppression on tumbler, there is no subset of people claiming to actually feel that they are a different race. Wishing you were so you don't have to deal with social baggage isn't the same thing at all

So yes, I would react differently to child claiming something known to be part of a flashpan internet subculture than I would a child claiming something known to have biological underpinnings and that has a long history as part of the human condition. Just as I would react differently to a child with PTSD and a child who claims to have a natural multiple head system with fiction kin headmates (don't ask...this particular rabbit hole goes all the way down.) Point being that I would encourage you to do actual research into transgender issues so that you understand why the question is insulting and what the difference is between *wanting* to be another gender and feeling that you already *are*

Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
Anyone notice the OP is not only new to CD but hasn't posted any responses? Are you the child in the "situation", trolling, or asking a sincere question?

My opinion is nobody would subject themselves to this kind of controversy if they weren't really transgender. I am very empathetic towards "different people" and I think if I knew a transgender person in real life, I would accept them for who they are.

With that said, I don't know how I would react if my daughter told me she was transgender. My girl isn't even 2 yet so she barely speaks but if she told me this in the future, I think I would be upset and disappointed. As a parent, I think we have certain expectations of how are kids are going to turn out or how we want them to turn out so if they aren't going that path, we probably have a hard time accepting the facts.

Eventually, I think I'd get over it. I can't imagine disowning her or not loving her ... ever. I love her unconditionally and it would be me who would have to change my mindset.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dol789 View Post
I am curious about the issue of parents with transgender children. Especially parents that are used to traditional gender roles. As a parent, how would you react to your son, who is in his early 20's, wanting to act on his transgender desires? Would it be accepted by you or would you disown him?
I'm not going to be politically correct. I would totally disown them. That is way beyond anything I know of.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-25-2012 at 02:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting