Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times

Advertisements

wear a sweater in 95 degree weather. bam slam boom!

My dd says its 10 degrees outside, but its 75, and due to be about 95 and she is freezing, so she comes in from the front porch and says she is going to get a jacket, I think, thats ok...hmm...

comes down the stairs with a SWEATER on over her t shirt, and I am like i dont think so, its gonna be 95 today, but its 10 now!

Nope, so I pull up the NOW weather....75.

Fine! stomp stomp stomp. I guess i will just freeze then....how about your red pullover windbreaker? Oh, nevermind, its at daddys,

And people would laugh at me in that..

Uh Oh..... we have never exp the 'people will laugh at me' thing yet.

HMM.. Well, the bus just got her, and I am sure she is not a popcicle yet.

BUT! She is a brand new middle school child, and I am a brand new single parent, and she is a brand new, but people will laugh at me in that,

Which makes me what?

I need another job on the weekends while their Dad has them? Because he doesn't believe in buying school clothes or something...

And, I am thinking this is actually a good thing, because she has Aspergers Syndrome, because she is displaying some social skills, though she is worrying over what others are going to think, this is normal, and normally, this would not happen, with a child on the spectrum.

So, all in all, a good morning.

Also, my son lost his glasses. but mommy i put them right there. Right where? Right there on the floor where I knew they would be....oh geez.

I looked around the room, the disaster area he calls his room and they were under a ball cap, about 5 feet from where he said he put them, just waiting to be stepped on.

Priceless. It is going to be a great day. My gas light is no longer on, I am going to work, yehaw.

Ok...it will be just fine... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
It will be fine. OUr kids are the same ; and of course we know nothing.
When it comes to clothes I figure ; they are wearing them, not me. So if they get hot, well thats ok, maybe next time they will listen.
But if we are going to something that we need to dress up for, I have my rules. I will bend on a tie, but not a dress shirt.
d

Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 AM

18 posts, read 105,044 times
My 5 year old insists on wearing SpongeBob at least 3 times a week to school. So I have to negotiate, he gets to wear what he wants one day, and the next day I choose a nice polo or something. When he was 2-3 years old, I made the mistake of putting his clothing in a bottom drawer. I kid you not, he changed his clothes 5 times a day!!!

My younger one, not so many issues. But he once threw a fit because I tried to put on a pair of denim overalls, which I thought were so cute. He didn't.

A wise woman once told me, choose your battles. That's what I try to do.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
I gave up that fight a long time ago. The only thing I correct now is if they don't match. Nothing worse than stripes with plaid or whatever.

"When he was 2-3 years old, I made the mistake of putting his clothing in a bottom drawer. I kid you not, he changed his clothes 5 times a day"

NjmominVa My middle son did this too. He was such a clothes horse at that age. I was ready to strangle him because at that time we didn't have a washer and dryer and It was costing me a fortune at the laundrymat. So glad he grew out of it.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
I agree with the above posts. I used to let J (now 21) choose his clothes, generally. I feel it gives them a measure of control in a very safe way and distracts them from seeking bigger ways. Pick your battles and all that.

However, I made sure his drawers and closets only held seasonal clothes. The rest would be packed away for the next year (or given away if he'd be too small for them by then). That way, when he opened a drawer in the winter, he wouldn't be able to pick out a short-sleeved shirt, etc.

I also bought him clothes that generally fit one color scheme. One year it was blues, tans and reds, and a couple of pairs of jeans. You'd be surprised how mismatched a child can get regardless, but this narrowed those odds.

These things were all simple and quick enough to do, they were done in advance, and totally eliminated him getting his back up about it, because he was making the choice. It made him feel proud and grown-up and I didn't have to worry all day about him wearing shorts in December or something.

A couple things I did of course blatantly put my foot down on; that's what I mean by picking battles--these, I picked. For cold days, of course there's just one choice (or maybe two)--one really must wear a jacket, gloves, and hat. If he refused to wear these, I told him fine, but he must put them in his backpack and bring them to school and they must be there one way or another--on him or in his backpack--when he came home. Once or twice he haughtily marched out the door in January in 7 degree weather with no coat on. And it was only once or twice, LOL. But that was the logic behind having to bring the things with him to school. You can bet he was wearing them when I picked him up in the afternoon. He learned that one quickly enough. The other thing obviously would be that he must wear underwear, but he was never the type to try to not wear it so that was all good, but no, I would never have allowed him to choose not to wear underwear. Or pajamas. I mean there are limits, but giving that small bit of freedom can really make everyone happy.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

766 posts, read 529,263 times
I agree with everyone else too.No biggie, my kids did it too!When the other kids start saying something about it, they will stop,untill then I would let him be.JMO

Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
She is 11! This afternoon she halfway busted the door down trying to get in it....eek

The power of a woman! Nope, she couldn't wear a sweater today...she is starting in...way in on puberty, and if she has a sweater on, deodorant or no...she would not be fun to be around... yikes.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
My oldest wore a winter coat to school once all last winter. I told him not to come crying to me when his fingers turned blue and broke off . It just isn't worth the fight--and we are in Minnesota so it is cold here.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:27 AM

464 posts, read 753,203 times
Maybe her classroom is cold. My daughter takes a sweater to school to wear in class because the class is cold. Let her take a light weight sweater that she can put in her backpack.
Good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
I have an 8yr old son, who refuses to wear anything but plain shirts. No lettering, no pictures, Heaven forbid, no characters. he's been like this since starting school. Everything he wears, has to be like this. Even his underwear and pjs have to be plain. You know how difficult it is to find EVERYTHING plain? ugh.
Then, to top it off, he has to wear a sweatshirt at all time. Even in the hot hot weather. Wont wear a tanktop, or even worse, go w/o any shirt at all. Heres my kid in Utah in August on vacation, everyone else dying in swimsuits, heres my boy in his Plain swimtrunks and a tshirt. sigh.
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting