Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting, assault on a child by parents is banned in my country.
I was never hit hit by my parents and I see no need for it, if I see a male hitting a child I will hit them, and being large I will do some damage.
Feel free to do what you like in your country. In my country, you'd be meeting a policeman with a tazer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
A recent study of low-income European-American, African-American, and Mexican-American toddlers found that kids who were spanked at age 1 were more likely to have aggressive behavior problems at age 3. They also scored lower on the Bayley test of mental development (Berlin et al 2009).

"Were these kids getting spanked because they were more aggressive or slow to begin with? It doesn’t seem so. Neither aggressive behavior problems nor lower developmental scores predicted increases in spanking over time."

Spanking children: A guide for the science-minded
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It seems likely, certainly plausible, that the behavior problems that were recorded at age 3 were incipient by age 1.
Well, the caption reads pretty clearly that aggressive behavior problems didn't predict increases in spanking. In other words, they didn't see any difference between the children who would be spanked and the children who wouldn't in the beginning of the study *shrugs*

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Spare the rod, spoil the child. It worked for me and it will work for my kids.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Spare the rod, spoil the child. It worked for me and it will work for my kids.
Lots of parents spare the rod without spoiling the child. It worked for me and it will work for my kids

Old 08-10-2012, 06:41 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
When my 3 kids ever got out of line they got the belt. ...

They did not back talk me or there mother either.

If I or there mother said no they did not try to
beg us to do it anyway that is a no no ! ! !

I did not tell them twice to do something, or not to do something,
if I had to, they got a whopping.

Did not need to do this very often, and If we took them to town
they did not act like wild animals in the stores,
like so may other children did, they knew better. ...

When a child understand you mean business you won't have
to correct them, or punish them very often ! ! ! ...

Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Seems like the beating of children stems from low self-esteem issues with the parents. Kind of like, 'nobody else treats me with the respect I think I deserve, so I will force my kids to through force'.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Seems like the beating of children stems from low self-esteem issues with the parents. Kind of like, 'nobody else treats me with the respect I think I deserve, so I will force my kids to through force'.
If they don't mind when they are young the
law, courts, hudges, police, and prison will try to help do the job ! ! ! ...

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well, the caption reads pretty clearly that aggressive behavior problems didn't predict increases in spanking. In other words, they didn't see any difference between the children who would be spanked and the children who wouldn't in the beginning of the study *shrugs*
That is unclear. Obviously they were getting spanked for something at age 1, no parent just says "I think I'll spank my toddler for no reason"--so what was the reason?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That is unclear. Obviously they were getting spanked for something at age 1, no parent just says "I think I'll spank my toddler for no reason"--so what was the reason?
I'm not saying they weren't misbehaving now and then. I'm sure they all acted up; they were 1 year olds! The point is, they were not misbehaving any more than the children who weren't going to be spanked. You see, they started with no difference in behavior or cognitive development. Both groups of children were likely disciplined over the next two years, just with some being spanked and others going to timeout, etc. At the end of the study, it was the group of children who had been spanked that showed an increase in aggression and slower mental development.

Now, to be fair, even this could mean there's some other factor common in parents who spank, and we're seeing the product of that other factor rather than physical punishment. But that'd still associate spanking with bad parenting practices, whatever factor that could be.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
We taught our children to clasp their hands behind their backs when we went into stores. I encouraged them to talk to me about things they saw and if needed I would pick the item up and let them see or touch it before we put it in our cart or most of the time back on the shelf. So many compliments on my kid's behavior I lost count.

I owned a retail business once and suffered the losses caused by undisciplined kids. never once "whooped" my kids and none of them EVER in trouble with law or police or any authority figure.

There are plenty of ways to let your kids know you "mean business" without hitting them. A very small mind resorts to the easy way out by hitting. It takes a bit of time, patience and imagination to correctly discipline and punish kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting