Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times

Advertisements

"Dad shoots laptop: What do you think of this act of parenting?"

Not very highly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I have a laptop he can come shoot. While he is at it, there is desktop that never worked right, a few country and western CDs and the credit cards. he is welcome to shoot all those. Oh and that crappy digusting Thomas Kinkaide plate my neighbor gave me...I'll shoot that myself.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you really going to take the raving loony talk of a teenager seriously?
I don't think for a minute she thinks bringing coffee makes her a slave. Or that she doesn't have affection for her parents. I think that she thinks she is the sh*t and that it's cool to mouth off in front of the world...

Do you people even know any teenagers?
^^This.

Tough talk from a young girl...and yeah, we all did it - but we did it in notes to our friends passed across the classroom (and I can't tell you how many times I was grounded for notes that were intercepted - and yeah, if I'd have had a computer way back when we were writing on lined composition paper, my dad probably would have shot it too). But we didn't post it in the newspaper - for obvious reasons. And that is essentially what she did. And got narc'd out by the dog, which is so classic! Talk about karma comin' round the mountain

One thing this young lady needs to figure out is that once you post something, it never quite goes away. The gift that keeps on giving - because now employers and everyone else reviews social sites for content. She can't be a volunteer candy-striper at a hospital with her attitude. If she's on FB, she's probably on Twitter and Tumblr and Google Plus and everywhere else. Doesn't take long to track it all down.

I do see this as a teen mouthing off. I also see a dad who got involved, whether "we" think it is right or wrong. I see a dad who won't back down when he sees things going amiss. Was he angry? Probably ... but I note we don't have a video of him beating his child unmercifully like the one that recently made the rounds. We don't have a child banished from their home and now walking the streets. We don't have a dead child because life is unbearable at home and they escaped to drugs or fast cars or suicide. What we have is a dead laptop. Oh well. There are worse things in life.

I'm sure Hannah is still talking smack behind daddy's back but is choosing her audience more carefully. I'm sure daddy is still shaking his head. And I'm equally sure that she has respect for daddy and knows he will follow through with consequences after fair warning - and he has respect for her for accepting what life and her dad have handed her and moving on. By his report they have some sort of mutual understanding now. Dad is involved - he's not turning a blind eye, he's not boo-hooing and saying "poor Hannah, I must be a terrible parent if she is posting this, what can I do for HER because clearly she is unhappy" and wah, wah, WAAAHHHH....

For the record - I think far too many of us have the "let them be kids" mentality (myself WAYYYY included)....it's a different world and kids have to fast track to adulthood now. By 15, yeah - absolutely - time to start meeting the real world. My sons (now 35 and 31) tell me I should have kept them busy 16 hours a day - school, job, sports, something - because all that free time was not spent in Bible study, and they now have a few life warts to show for that time. I tend to believe them - and they will be much better parents than I ever thought about being because they won't be quite as concerned about making life happiness and rainbows, but developing a child who can handle adversity and keep on ticking....and who understands Newton's Third Law of Motion - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
So, the police went to their home "investigate." Nothing they could do, but they did thank him.

YouTube dad says authorities pay visit; Daughter gets job offer | www.wsoctv.com

Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I hope you will watch the whole video because I think it raises a lot of questions about this particular parenting situation.

I will withold my opinion for now because I am not quite convinced of it yet and would like to hear some feedback.

Father shoots daughter's laptop over Facebook dispute
I sorta understand it although I think he wasted the bullet.

The teen put a lot of value in the laptop and Facebook.

Dad showed her that a laptop is an object that is a tool, and not a means to an end that your life revolves around.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So, the police went to their home "investigate." Nothing they could do, but they did thank him.

YouTube dad says authorities pay visit; Daughter gets job offer | www.wsoctv.com
LOL Thanks for posting SS. Good to know!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Good thing he doesn't live inside city limits, his ass would have been toast and in jail for it.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
No that dad was not a bad parent. I couldn't careless about what he did or did not do to a laptop but I do think that his reaction was coming from an unrealistic place.

ALL teenagers mitch and boan about how bad they have it. This child was no different, except she did it on FB and was foolish in choosing her venue. I am sure in this silly kid's head she was doing the emotional equivalent of writing in a diary or venting to her friends. All kids, even ungrateful ones, have the right to vent, privately.

Now does the fact that she has repeatedly disobeyed her parents rules about facebook posts being clean and "pg" warrant punishment? Sure. But if she had written her self indulgent little rant in a diary, it should go unpunished.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Bingo! I agree, 100%. (I edited your post to emphasize my agreement with the ties of affection concept.)

('m also beginning to understand where you have been coming from in some of your other posts about the way our society influences our children. Sorry, I wasn't getting it. I think I do now.)
No worries. It's normal. It's people debating on the Internet.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you really going to take the raving loony talk of a teenager seriously?
I don't think for a minute she thinks bringing coffee makes her a slave. Or that she doesn't have affection for her parents. I think that she thinks she is the sh*t and that it's cool to mouth off in front of the world...

Do you people even know any teenagers?
I don't find that kind of teenage act "normal". That people have come to expect that it is normal for teen-agers to have such attitudes, this is sad and dangerous at the same time.

While all teenagers experience some form of rebellion, that kind of antagonism and hostility towards parents should simply not be there.
Something went wrong along the way. Oh, well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting